3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3rivers  (Read 664 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3rivers
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archer Fanatic:
I'm probably going to get kicked off of tradgang but so be it. This kinda of thread is irresponsible and stupid. Most guys I see shouldn't even be shooting a recurve or longbow. I statrted back in the 60's and this thread comes accross as elistist.
Where do these people come from!!!!!

He proclaims that HE see's folks that shouldn't be shooting Trad,......and then turns right around a says this thread comes across as elitist???

:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline tbhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Amen, caleb7mm.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I have no problem with sights. I think they are traditional. They're just not instinctive, which for me, is FAR more accurate in actual hunting situations because I don't have to do any math, which I'm not that good at. And I don't have to judge distance accurately, which I'm not very good at when there is a whole sky of antlers in front of me. And I won't carry a rangefinder ... all I have to do is look at it and shoot it. I seldom shoot two arrows from the same distance when I practice and I shoot every day. When I shot a compound I shot it bare until I was working so much I couldn't shoot it everyday. Then I went to sights as a kind of crutch. But it's not as much fun for me. It's not poetry. It's math.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I don't mind a bow with a sight for those who need them they can make it a lot more enjoyable.  What I have issue with is the word traditional associated with my archery... ain't that kind of like antique or something..   :D
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
"traditional" and "instinctive" are not synonymous.  

You can be traditional without being instinctive and you can shoot instinctively without being traditional.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
ok i have read all 5 pages of this and i am wondering if if it was worth the cost. The thread could be taken as elitist in that this guy is disappointed in three rivers for carring sights and he don't want to see anyone at a shoot with sights because he does'nt belive that sights have a place in trad archery. Hence if your bow isn't like my bow it's not traditional. At the same time the use of words like "irresponsible and stupid" are degrading to the other member instead of addressind the topic. So what has Trad Gang gained from this? We have a fellow who still feels the same about sights and one member who has lost his membership because he finally snapped  because of threads started to cause controversy. Enough said won't be long i'm sure till we can all read another "instinctive or gap" thread   i can't wait

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by 3undr:
ok i have read all 5 pages of this and i am wondering if if it was worth the cost. The thread could be taken as elitist in that this guy is disappointed in three rivers for carring sights and he don't want to see anyone at a shoot with sights because he does'nt belive that sights have a place in trad archery. Hence if your bow isn't like my bow it's not traditional. At the same time the use of words like "irresponsible and stupid" are degrading to the other member instead of addressind the topic. So what has Trad Gang gained from this? We have a fellow who still feels the same about sights and one member who has lost his membership because he finally snapped  because of threads started to cause controversy. Enough said won't be long i'm sure till we can all read another "instinctive or gap" thread   i can't wait
or, since the topic starter is 19 years old, he's just ignorant about "modern" trad archery in the 50's and 60's.  we're all ignorant about lotsa things, and maybe he just needs some olde tyme schoolin' and be told by his elders that sights on bows have been around for ages and can be as "traditional" as instinctive aiming.   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I couldn't care less if a guy puts a sight on his longbow or recurve. What business is it of mine? Hunt/shoot for yourself.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kavogt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Have to agree with what's been said about tradition being in the eye of the traditioneer. Hell, as long as people are involved in archery, I'm happy. Sights, instinct, compound, recurve, selfbow, carbon or wood - if it means you're having fun with it, it means you're doing it right!  :)    :archer2:
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it"
 - Friends of Voltaire - 1906

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I don't care what 3Rivers sells as long as they keep selling the stuff I need and keep up their excellent constomer service and quick shipping.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I honestly don't see what the hubub is about with 3 Rivers selling sights.  Trad archery is, honestly, clinging on the word "trad".  I am trying to get back into trad archery after a 20 yr absence - so I can appreciate the "modernization".  For starters . . . computer designed limbs, carbon arrows (seems like wood arrows are a minority), synthetic FF string that does not stretch, carbon laminations in limbs, etc, etc.  Why do sights shock anybody?  If trad archery keeps advancing, might as well just make a longer riser and put wheels on the ends.  Like everything else in modern society, it is driven ty technology and companies trying to take your hard-earned dollar.  And many in the masses have fallen for it . . . trail camera's, hand-held GPS, scent block clothing, etc, etc, etc.  Honestly, I was wanting to get back into trad archery to sort of get away from all the technology, sort of a simpler time and place - where the sport depends mostly on your skill, not technology.  I really can't identify with today's trad archers.  Just my 2 cents.  No reason to rant and rave about a company selling a bow site given all the other tech stuff that is common place.  If Howard Hill or Fred Bear could be brought back to life, they could out hunt any of us.

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
That's fine that they sell them, they're a business and some folks want sites.  I'm new to traditional archery and I enjoy instinctive shooting.  A big part of moving away from compounds for me was not wanting to tinker with adjusting the sights and the rest and the peep and this and that, I just wanted to shoot the bow!
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Thanks Rob I had no idea that sights were ever used on traditional bows. Once again I offer my sincere apology to those who I have offended and to the moderators of tradgang as I did not mean for this to cause all the controversy.Now I am asking that Terry or one of the other moderators please delete this topic so it will end all the controversy. Once again my sincerest apologies.
James Kerr

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Back in the 50's and 60's when there were just longbows and recurves there were two classes at the Field Archery meets. One was bare bow (self explanatory) and the other was Free Style (sights). If you go back in time to the 20's and 30's you will find longbows with sights. Nothing non trad about sights. Lots of folks would do better with them than they are doing without them. What a sight will force you to do is develop correct and consistent form.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
As long as the discussion is reasonably civil, a little discourse never hurt anyone.  I don't believe I've ever read one of these "controversial" threads where I haven't learned something; even on topic occasionally ;-)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Javi:
We were having this discussion in 1960, good to see y’all carrying on the TRADITION…   :D  
:thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I use sights... my arrow.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
I use sights... my arrow.
now there is the *perfect* point - yes, pun intended!  :D

if you use ANYTHING other than ONLY yer eyes bearing down on the mark, yer probably using some form of a "bow sight".  

ALL gap and point-of-aim shooters are sight shooters!  you betcha they are!  how's that for stirring up the pot?   ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
For years I fought the urge to have a couple threaded inserts mounted in the sight window so I could screw just a sight pin into them with out having an ugly mounting bracket. One of these days I may break down and do it. My first recurves back in the early 70's came drilled for a sight bracket and stabilizer.
That makes it Traditional for me.

I wonder if the poster shoots glass bows with aluminum or carbon arrows? Traditional to me means no wheels. No glass,carbon or steel means primitive.

It's all good.
   :campfire:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Just as long as they dont drop other essential stuff from their line im ok with it.....
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©