3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rut, pre-rut? Something's happening.  (Read 301 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Rut, pre-rut? Something's happening.
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Saw a couple of bucks out at mid morning with their noses on the ground and moving pretty fast.

Looks like activity is picking-up.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rut, pre-rut? Something's happening.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Saw a buck chasing some does last night. This cooler weather we had come through up here was nice.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
From now till the 31 of this month is when I've had my best luck of tagging out in the past. I usually rattle in a couple bucks a night this time of year. Hoping to get out tonight! Good luck guys!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
F.I.L.  saw two fightin last night and one chasin, its on boys!!!!!!!!

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
I have 2 full weeks of vacation starting this Friday at 3:30 pm (or earlier if I sneek out).  Scrapes are everywhere on my farm in KY and buck are beginning to move.  Saw 4 bucks Friday evening from stand.  A 2.5 yo 8 and a great 3.5 yo buck sparred for over 30 min.  The 3.5 yo woulda been a shooter had he not had a broken off main beam about 3" above his head.  The 4th buck was a BRUTE of an 8-point.  I got him headed my way w/ a few grunts and he coverd about 50 yds of the 150 yds between us when the other bucks got excited from my grunting and tickling of my antlers and they started bull dogging does around in the field.  This caused him to lose interest and follow the boys and girls across the field away from me.  

I'll be back looking for him again.  

From what I'm seeing the young'uns are starting to harass the women folks, but we're still a week+ out from the big boys gettin hot.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
South West Wisconsin ... I have not seen much, but my woods are rather deer deprived.  that said, I did see 2 bucks bush each other around a bit last week, not a fight, just a size up match.  Also this past weekend I have seen two doe fawns get sorta chased by a buck, not serious, jsut a checking you out kinda following - they did not like it .  Also, saw a 1st year horn push a doe and sent check her.  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
We aren't rutting yet.

Well, let me say that we aren't at 'Peak rut' yet. There are several phases of the rut: seeking, chasing, being 'locked down', etc.

I hear people say the same thing every year, because a few of the younger bucks start getting excited, and one or two does may come into estrus early and set that small chunk of woods on fire for a day or two.

The first week of November is the time to take your vacation. An old timer I know says the same thing after almost 60 years of bow hunting.

November 2nd through about the 10th it goes bonkers north of the Mason Dixon.

JMHO
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Bucks are more active in our area also. West Michigan, Oceana, Lake, Newaygo, Mason Counties.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Agree 100% with Sam. Watched a couple young spikers try to double team an older doe tonight. About a week and the big guys will start cruising.

That being said, I will be in the woods every chance I get from now until mid November.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I have seen 3 bucks in the last two nights. Tonight a small 6 point was chasing a doe and grunting like a pig as it ran past my hunting partner. It is starting to rock & roll here in MN.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
A buddy killed a buck the other day and I seen the picture and his neck was already swelling and he said his glands were starting to smell. Also found some scrapes so we are starting to get going down here too.  Thank Goodness

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
I saw an Iowa big boy stick his head out of the corn with just a little day light left tonight. It won't be long.

doug77

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Couple scrapes and a few young bucks nose to the ground on a mission....that's about it up here.
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
First estrous is always here around Oct 22-25. . . then 28 days later is the peak when most does come in.  It has been the same the past 20 years here as near as I can figure.  Nothing new.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
Here in WV the peak of the chase of the  Rut is give or take 3 days from the 14th of November . 37 years setting in the woods has proven that . I have taken more deer on the 14th than any other day .I'm saving energy mentally for NOV 8th -NOV 19th .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
We are getting close to the woods exploding rubs and scrapes are everywhere but not seeing and day time activity on them.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©