3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrewhaven 2011 (pics)  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrewhaven 2011 (pics)
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Magazines and catalogs?
How banal.
A privy should have graffiti.
There should be a can of dry markers, all colors, right where the baby wipes are. Offensive and trite material gets wiped off, and the good wit and artwork gets sprayed with Tuffilm.

The baby wipes can be used as deer blindfolds.
Killdeer
(leaving for camp on Saturday!   :D   )
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I was literally sitting in my stand last evening thinking about Shrew Haven and when the report would show up here on the Gang. It's been a while since I have had a good laugh or even the crack of a smile. Thanks Ron and Shrew Haven crew, I ended up with both!!! Great pics and stories, I look forward to them each and every season.

Killy- You are welcome in my deer camp anytime, you just have to promise to bring along your wisdom and cheer. Your posts are ALWAYS a good read  :)

Kevin in Michigan
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Nice!

For some reason I think there should be a plaque over this scene that says "Law West of the Pecos"

:thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Nice harvest.  Always good to do the nanny dead dance!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    Great stuff, thanks for sharing!!!
bolong

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Wow, what a great camp!!!! Other than the wind the first 3 days, it was definately indian summer weather. Someone asked about labeling the participants on the hero photo so here it goes from left to right:
Roger Norris, Armstrong Ghost Super Shrew Longbow
Eric Bonnet (Kevins son in law) Super Shrew
Your's Truely, Super Shrew (60")
Greg Nicolaou, cheif chef, Super Shrew Scout recurve
Tim Cosgrove, proprietor Kustom King Archery, Super Shrew Samurai and chief camp remodeling designer
Kevin Marshall, Super Shrew "North American Safari"
Eric Bell, (Tim's Son in law), Super Shrew, first mate to Tim on camp redesign and construction projects, walleye frying extraordinare and architect of the water pump system from the creek to the cabin.

Last but certainly not least, Ron "Lobo" LaClair with his North American Safari Super Shrew.

One correction to Ron's post, that doe I'm pictured with was shot with a Magnus two blade 125 grain head. She landed 15 yards from the Brule River and for a moment I thought I was going to have a cold crossing on the track.  My second doe was shot with a Kustom King Trailmaker head and holy moly Batman, we're talking some serious blood.  

The one benefit to going early was we got in a little bird hunting. Greg (his lab Penny was in camp with us), myself and Roger took a 1 hour stroll and came back with 3 woodcock and 2 grouse. Loads of fun and they were invited to dinner wrapped in Ron's special bacon on the last night of camp.  Tim also brought some doves up from Indiana and we did those on the grill as well wrapped in bacon. It's all incredible.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Thank you guys for sharing. THIS looks like a fun hunt. Each area of the country has a different hunting camp culture and one of the few things I envy you yankees is the MI deer camp heritage.

It just looks like you guys have a great time. And remember Pappa Bear said: "A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt" Fred Bear
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
How cool is this?.... Way!!!.... I'm saying....

Ron I truly believe that we could be kindred spirits and I know we both got the good looks...lol

Killie dear, if I were you there's no way on God's green earth..................

I'd ever pass up that invite!

Thanks to all from Shrewhaven who have contributed to making my days better with all of the additions and contributions you post here on tradgang.

God bless us all!

His servant, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Thanks Ray for adding the names to the police lineup there bud ! Congrats again gents !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
To Ron and the whole crew, thanks for a great pic review of your hunt.
We live vicariously through your Shrewhaven post.
I look forward to leaving for camp and to seeing this post.
Congratulations to all and thanks to all of you for a great adventure.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
What? No bricks in the UP?

Offline FightingCelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Living the Dream...Congrats
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
supposed to be surrounded.

1972 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Pray, and let God worry.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
police lineup?    :scared:    :eek:

On that thought, we heard that our old friend Conservation Officer Dave Painter was awarded "Officer Of the year" which is STATE WIDE!   :thumbsup:   What an honor for him and I couldn't think of a more deserving person.

Dave has been the C O in our area for a very long time. He is a traditional bow hunter and always drops around to chew the fat and tell us the latest stories of law breakers that he has encountered.

Dave is an honest hard working C O that has the respect of everyone (fear from some) in his district. A few years ago he was credited with catching a pretty large poaching ring that had been killing deer and selling the meat.

Here's a picture of Dave and I at the Cabin one evening when he stopped by to show us a buck rack that he took from a Poacher he caught not far from our area.

Congratulations Dave...   :clapper:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Ron's right, Dave is one of the truely dedicated public service guys and the UP wildlife in our area is much better off with him on patrol.  Of course when he stops by and shows us his personal harvest from time to time (which are always dandy bucks) we give him the good natured ribbing "of course it's easier to kill the big ones with a spotlight on your truck".   :biglaugh:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
good stuff here thanks for sharing
Make a life, not a living

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
As a native Michigander, we know the heritage and lore of "deer camp". We also know that deer camp in the glorious UP is second to none.It is close to impossible to put into words what happens deep within your spirit when you cross the mighty Mac. It is certainly one of those things that you must experience in order to appreciate. God bless the Shrew Crew and thanks for sharing deer camp with us.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Bows on the Little Shrewhaven! Near mirror of Glenn & Fred. Thanks Ron for the pix & descriptions. What a great time & great hunting!

Bad boy rack above. Too bad it was poached! Send Dave my congratulations catching the rat bas..rd!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
wonderful time !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
We moved the old cabin onto it's present site in the spring of 2000. After our first stay there that fall I wrote these words to try to describe it.

Nestled in a secluded valley, far off the beaten path, on the banks a of a small stream, is a little cabin called Shrew Haven.  Originally built in 1936, this rustic pine cabin was only recently moved to it's current location.

The original intent was just to have a hunting camp, a place to hang your hat and bow.  But Shrew Haven has become more than that... much more.  Shrew Haven has revealed itself an enchanting environment, where the bow hunting experience is enhanced ten fold. It is a place of peace and tranquility; a place where a person can recharge their spirit, feed their soul, and share wonderful times with fellow bow hunters.  

In today's modern world we have created for ourselves an unnatural environment; but God created man to be part of nature. And although we may survive in our big city's and urban neighborhoods, we need the wilderness to help keep us mentally healthy.  

Shrew Haven is an Oasis, where we must return as often as we can, to drink deep of it's healing waters, and thus be sustained 'til we come to this place again.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Beautifully said Mr. LaClair.  

I often tell people that building my cabin added twenty years to my life, and I believe it!

I call it "TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED"
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©