3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morning Stand Approach  (Read 551 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Morning Stand Approach
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Do you prefer to approach a stand for a morning hunt well before light, or wait till its getting enough light than you can approach without a flashlight?

I've gone back and forth with this. Many of my stands are in the woods and trying to approach in the dark quietly is next to impossible. Using a light as needed helps but i hate it.  Ut if i get in 30-45 minutes befcre legal shooting light it gives things time to settle down.

Waiting till dawn cracks affords a quieter approach risk bumping deer that have already moved into to woods. I hu t some pretty thick stuff or on tue edges of it i the hardwoods, whi h makes for lots of crunchyvleaves and twigs to snap  
Morning hunts have been a total bust this year. Just curious what others do.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morning Stand Approach
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I like to get in when its still dark. I use a green light and some glow in the dark thumb tacks. The green light really reduces shadows and makes walking much easier. During the rut I like to be in my stand at least 30 minutes before shooting light.

doug77

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I've gone as far as raking out my trails into my stands.  Getting in there before daylight I stii use a flashlight and reflective tacks in the trees along the edge of the trail.
  It's funny but once I rake out the trail the deer start using it.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I wanted to try more waiting til light this year but can't make myself do it. My brother kills way more deer than I do and always waits til light. I do tend to pick spots that seem to be better around 9 or so. I guess it wouldn't hurt to walk in after light in those spots either.

I hunt mostly public land and like to be in place way before anyone else. I don't see many people in bow season but you never know. I like to think going early and staying late has killed more deer for me than my stand approach. At certain times I use a low vis red light and turkey call when walking in. I wouldn't try that in gun season though.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I don't go in until I have enough light to see my way in. I still hunt to my stand and then climb up. I don't know if it is any better the other way or not, this works for me!!  :dunno:  A couple of mornings I got to my stand and couldn't see the holes for my bottom steps so I pretty much had to wait at the bottom which to me defeats the purpose of being there early. I always now remove the bottom two or three steps. Less chance of someone else hunting my stands or walking off with my stuff!!!  ;)
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I tend to move stand locations quite a bit. At least as far as my climber TS goes. I wish i could clear paths out that easly. Most of my stands ae either in small open pockets amidst thick nasty cover or in the maples whi h leave a carpet of leaves and tons of those annoying little dry twigs that like to make sure theyre under your feet!  I guess either i get up and out earlier or wait. Its vettig close to the time for all day sits soon as this rain front passes and the winds get right again.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I try to time it so I get to my spot 20-30 minutes before sunrise. Just enough light to see the branches that will take your eye out. Had my eye scratched by a stick in the dark years ago. Ouch.
Also it's quieter if you can see. I don't like lighting up the woods with a flashlight either.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I dont think deer pay to much attention to a light going thru the woods or a field.  I believe its more the person walking thru the woods.  I have had way to many deer that 5 minutes after I get in my tree there right under me walking around.  They should have seen the light.
  30 minutes before shooting light is what I try to do.  They step in front of cars all the time and those are pretty bright lights.    :D

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I go in about half an hour before sunrise, with a red-light headlamp (if any). That way, if the deer are moving just around sunrise, you're in the tree and ready by the time it's light enough to shoot.

That being said, I have gotten lost before. :/

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Used to until i walked upon a young boy with crossbow pointing at me.His dad droped him off.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by 3arrows:
Used to until i walked upon a young boy with crossbow pointing at me.His dad droped him off.
:scared:    :scared:    YIKES!!!!   :scared:    :scared:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I walk in about an hour before first light. I have no quams about using a flashlight.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Depends- makes no sense to walk in where deer watch you and you can not see them-educating them as you set up.  Most places I have no problem going in at pink light. In some case I would rather glass a field and make sure the deer are off it before I make my move.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
always 30 -45 mins before light..after you settle in i think the best time of the hunt is listening to all the animals wakeing up..it my favorite time when you can't see you mind just thinks up things that are makeing the noises...

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Flashlight and reflective tacks for me. I try to get there about a half hour before shooting light. I'd rather make any noise mistakes BEFORE the deer get to my stand area. Same goes for the flashlight. If you get there early, the light is off before the deer arrive, anyway.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I have started killing WAY more deer by being in my stand all set and ready about an hour before first light. Many of the deer i kill are in the first few minutes of shooting light and many times I've had them bed before daylight with in range of me

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I get in about 30 minutes to 1 hours before daylight.  I hunt really thick woods as well and don't use a light.  I have a pretty decent walk through cattle pasture before crossing the fence and entering the woods, this usually gives my eyes time to adjust to the darkness before I enter the woods.  I also prepare the trails by cutting away limbs and such that hang over.  I'm sure I make more noise than if I waited but I believe its minimal and the deer are not sure what it is so they don't spook bad.  Its the same thing climbing down in the evening with deer around.  They don't bolt out of the area most of the time.  If I'm quit they just walk away easy and usually return (if I'm hunting a food source).
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I like to be in my stand one hour before I can shoot, too many times I have waited to grey light or later and bumped deer. I feel if you want to hunt first light then be there early or wait until 1 1/2 hrs after first light and hunt the later morning to mid after noon like 9-9:30 till 1pm.
US ARMY 1984-1988

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
i prefer waiting till its just getting light enough to see where im going, and i dont want the boogeyman to get me.  :scared:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
I really don't think lights bother deer as i walk to my stands in the dark i am always walking past deer bedded and most of them don't even get up as long as you don't stop or walk at them.And most of my really big bucks have been shoot at first light.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©