3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever have a bow that just hurts  (Read 770 times)

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever have a bow that just hurts
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm crazy or what, but I have one bow that just leaves my shoulder and elbow in pain after a practice session.

It's a Korean Hwarang recurve and it’s probably the smoothest bow that I have shot but for some reason I just hurt after shooting it for very long. I'm also more consistent with it than any bow so far.  It's 55lbs@28in and my longbow is 60#@28 but I don't seem to suffer the same pain with the longbow.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever have a bow that just hurts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
My left wrist after shooting my one and only longbow for any length of time.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
I've bought and sold many bows over the years.  Most were made by well-known bowyers.  Some I sold within a week after I bought them; some I still have and never intend to sell.  There is a big difference among bows, and if you get one you don't like, it's best to sell it and move on.  Hopefully sombody else will like it better than you did.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Well, the grip position is probably way different from recurve to longbow. Changing from a low wrist (longbow) to a mid or high wrist (recurve) grip could cause pain in your bow arm.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
I had a Widow SAG that was like that for me. But man did I love to look at that bow.
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
It happens, different wrist positions and types of bows can make it happen to anyone.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I shot a Howard Hill longbow once. It hurt so bad i still have pain in my shoulder from time to time.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Won't mention the builder but I had a HH style longbow that had so much hand shock that it actually stung my hand when I shot it.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
I think 30coupe hit it.  We all have different wrist shape/bones and some bows just don't feel right.  My favorite bow is a very high wrist - almost all contact is right at the web of my thumb.  Limits the draw force, but for me is very easy on the wrist.

A while back I took one shot with each of my bows, one right after another.  I was AMAZED how one of the recurve bows I remember as a nice little shooter kicked and was way louder than I remember.  We get used to what we shoot and forget or forgive faults.

That's what marriage is all about.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Shot a Robertson recurve a few years back that did that. No shock smooth pull but after a while it just hurt at the elbow. Great bow just not for me. Never figured out what caused it same draw I now shoot, same grip style basically. Who knows?
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I'd move on to another bow

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback...The problem is that it's not my bow arm that hurts, its my right are (shooting right handed)

The only think I can think of is that the brace height is much shorter (5in) and for some reason the strain of the additional pull may be just a bit more than my worn out shoulder and elbow can handle.

Its a sweet shooting bow, but I may have to part with it and stick with the long bow.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Big, what kind of bow do you shoot. That sounds like a very low brace height

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Probably as simple as that you are probably shooting it for to long at one time as compared to your longbow!?

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by cbCrow:
Big, what kind of bow do you shoot. That sounds like a very low brace height
It's a Korean Hwarang recurve.  According to the bowyer 5-5.5in is the proper brace height.

Offline Kanuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Big C

The problem may be the way you are pulling it.  If you look at the way Asian bows are usually drawn, the bow starts out held high, the arrow is drawn back and the bow is pushed away.  The Koreans call it "Pushing the Mountain and Pulling the Tiger's tail" or something similar.  Bottom line is don't start with the bow arm extended and then reach forward and haul the arrow back - start high in the middle and move your hands in opposite directions.

There is plenty of good video of Korean traditional archery on You Tube to give you an idea.  

I'm also a longbow shooter and I've played a bit with a Mongolian style bow but I just put my order in for a Hwarang bow today.  Only 4-8 weeks to wait....
Kanuck

Life is too short to rush.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Any bow over 50 pounds at my draw feels like the hardware is gonna fly apart in my hand!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
I had a longbow like that,I loved the bow and the way it shot but the degenerated discs in my kneck said ,nope this aint gonna work.Traded for a different bow of heavier poundage and longer length and havent had the first issue with it.I guess if it aint broke dont fix it,so im still shooting it.  :archer2:

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Yes I have and the new owner is real proud of it. In the old days I shot 70 to 80# bows and over the years my body wouldn’t handle it anymore. A good bow should be shot and I couldn’t anymore so I passed them on. I’m sure there are a few Gangers out there that understand.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
As the old country Dr. once told me "If it hurts, don't do it!".

Any bow that made me hurt and thus endanger my ability to shoot my other bows would be headed somewhere else PDQ.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©