3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Season Over....  (Read 527 times)

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Season Over....
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
Went to eye doctor yesterday as I've noticed some bluriness when shooting and general looking around.Vision in left eye is blocked almost 70% and last night had a debate with myself almost all nght about if I should hunt today on my day off.
 Decided that although I love to bowhunt that I owe it to the game to make a good shot. With this central blur I might not be able to pick a specific spot and it may be why I made a less than perfect shot previously.
 How would the rest of you handle this? I have bowhunted for 40+ years and just can't rationalize going in less than 100% form. Guess ethics was passed along in right fashion.
 Not boohooing, maybe a little, just the effects of over 60 and not ready for it. Will be living through the gang's exploits so keep the stories coming and after my operation in Jan. hope to be shooting again. Best of luck to y'all!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Season Over....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
That is an admirable decision to wrestle with this time of year....

Speedy recovery to you, and think spring turkeys...

:notworthy:

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
"Hunt" this season with a camera and after your recovery your scouting will pay off for next season.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
"Hunt" this season with a camera and after your recovery your scouting will pay off for next season.
I second the comments of Lost Arra.

It will provide the thrill of the hunt without the toil after the shot.

I'll be praying for a good outcome to your surgery.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
+2 Catch and releas with the camera.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Would a sight on your bow help? Or  is your diagnosis more dire than you let on? I had vision trouble a few years ago and cataract surgery fixed everything....even made it better and got rid of my glasses.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Amen to lens replacement surgery. It's a peice of cake,and you won't beleive how well you can see!  Hard part is getting a time for surgery, I was 3months waiting but was back shooting the next day and vision just keeps getting better. You have made the right call,we owe it to the animals we hunt to make the best shot! It will be great you'll see.  :thumbsup:  no pun intended,lol.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
If I couldn't see well enough to aim while bowhunting and needed an eye operation to fix the eye problem, I'd wouldn't hunt either until my eye sight was fixed by an operation.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I hunt with a longbow because I hate dragging heavy objects thru the woods and the bloody mess of dealing with dead animals. I love bowhunting as much as anyone and have taken many animals with a bow over the years. If I forgot my arrows in the truck I would probably still stay out in the woods hunting for the customary 3 hrs and enjoy the peacefulness of the woods.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
I plan on hunting behind a camera this year because I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck that affects my bow arm. (numbness and tingling) I've been going to therapy, which is helping, so maybe that will change, but that's my plan. I can still stand and shoot, but I never know when I'll be in the wrong position and drop the string because my hand goes numb. I'll be seeing how close I can get to game, either way.

In the mean time, get that eye taken care of! You can hunt later.

Oh p.s.! If I capture some cool pics, I'll post them.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Tom. I know how much you love to bow hunt.  This is hard. I feel your making the right choise not hunting.  Get your eye fixed and get back after it next Spring.  In no time you'll be chasing pink skunks again:

Good luck to you my friend.

Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Well....the season is only 'over' if you allow it to be.

I say get out there in those woods and hunt with a camera......scout and hunt new areas...try and get more intimate with your hunting grounds and the game travels.

You could even explore public lands and find hidden honey holes for next year.

Also, there will be a 'season' of some sort open somewhere after your operation....make plans to hunt then.

Also, you can do some bale work to keep your form down.

Lots of things to do to keep optimism afloat during your down time....stay after it!    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Respect your decision and hope for a speedy recovery.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Well said by Terry and other, I agree with them whole heartedly!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments and yes indeed will be out there with camera in hand. Killing is only one small aspect of my passion and will keep up my shooting at targets and stumps.Will be scouting for next year and it will be better for sure.Have always been a lemonade sort of guy and will get through this small situation.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I hate to hear that Tom but I have been there . I had a cateract on my right eye from a BB gun wound to the eye and Im right handed so I could not do anything with a bow or gun that used sights . I had my surgery ( but vision still blurry ) and then switched to stickbows and instintive shooting and Im back in business . Dan Fitzgerald was my motivation because he was leagly blind in his right eye but shot instintive right handed so I thought what one man can do another can do and thru pratice I did . Of course I have to modify my tactics for my eye problem but I wont take a shot if its to far , I shoot 3 under putting the arrow closer to my eye which helps me , and I shoot at blank haybales picking a imaginary spots  instead of picking a visual tiny spot. I will pick a visual spot if I can see it clearly but if not I make one in my mind if that makes any since . I hope this helps Tom because i know you love hunting and I know your a good man and  glad to call you a friend .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your photos, Tom, and having you outshoot me on the courses next spring.

Again.
Killdeer   :rolleyes:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your eye problem. I know you love this stuff as much as any of us!

Take it easy, us Cool Springers really enjoy shooting with you!   :campfire:    :archer:

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Hope it works out. Like all, looking forward to the pics.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I have hunted twice for over a week with eye injuries. Practiced with eye closed or patched and kept my shots under 15 yrds. I actually shot very well that way. Maybe something to consider.

I hope everything works out.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©