3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting alone in the big woods.........  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting alone in the big woods.........
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I have used one of the carts.....now days I just try to go light and use a day pack. I have tried this year to use just a back quiver with a pocket. Lunch, water, and just the basics. Mostly day trips and if I want I have the ability to stay at a camp that I have belonged to for a long time right on the edge of the wilderness area I hunt! The bad think about the carts is you need a decent trail to make it practical!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Was mainly talking about those carts for getting game out?

Are you allowed to bone out your deer to take out of the woods in NY? In WI you can't do anything, other than gutting, till after it is registered which has to be done at certain facilities which are a long ways from the back country.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
You can bone out in New York, but you must keep proof of sex, and tag the animal. I have started to carry a light pack frame [Plastic Coleman Peak} To pack meat if I ever get lucky......LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
There was a time when I packed elk quarters on my back for several miles but those days are long gone. Doubt whether I could pack even 30-40# for very far, now due to physical and health issues. Guess I'll try one of those carts and stay close to backwoods trails and closed gate two tracts. Lots of closed off old logging roads to utilize, too. If I want to bowhunt the backwoods will have to find a way to get the deer out.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:

How many of you guys and gals hunt alone in big tracts of land...

...started to think what if. What if I got hurt, what if I did get lucky and shoot something, I'm all alone and couldn't drag a deer or bear out by myself.

...in this area there is NO cell phone service, so calling for help is out of the question!      ron w
I ask myself these questions too. I hunt alone most of the time in wilderness areas, sometimes in very rugged terrain, so I understand the thought process.

I try to be very careful without being afraid. I am aware a fall is one of the biggest concerns- broken limb or punctured lung- but in being careful its also important not to be timid.

I now choose to sometimes go around something that could be an issue if I fell, rather than just going through or over it- especially if I am tired, its at night, or I am otherwise compromised.

But s--- happens, and its best to plan on it happening to you(us), at some point. Prepare for that accident so it won't morph into a tragedy.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Hi I go it alone most of the time and have the past 20 years. (61 now)   I hunt a huge piece of national forest at 10500 feet.  I do wonder at the wisdom of it but really would have it no other way.
I've had to learn how to bone out animals and I got a game cart to get animals out that works great.  This year I got an elk out by my self.

I'll continue as long as I can.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
well my take.  First i agree that we should take advantage of technology forthe piece of mind for our spouses and friends as well as ourselves.  Second, we hunt because the vast majoity on here it is in there blood!  we have that passion not oly for th pursuit of the animal, but for the land/wilderness which raises are pulse, at same time lifts our spirits and lightens our burdens for a moment.  third, tell someone were u are to be and time out, and what t do if u dont come back (this is a subject in itself).  fourth, be careful!  all the cell phones/satcom cannt help u if you cannt reach them or cannt talk.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
hunting alone is a great way the get some real peace of mind. I get a little concerned about safty. but the risk is sooo worth it. I have a wife an to kids an work hard. 1week alone is a good way to regroup my goals an to thank god for my life. I am a very lucky man.it is the only time I truly do what I want when I want.hunting is the greatest sport in the world.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
There has been a lot of good thoughts on this post....I want to thank everyone for their input. It's good to know that I'm not alone in wanting to get away from crowds even though I can't go like I used to. My old knees just can't take it like they used too....lol!   Thanks again..   :notworthy:  ron w

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I bought one of those game carts but have still been dragging my deer out.  It seems liek I always forget to put it in the truck when I go.  Of course you only see deer when you are un-prepared.  I think it would work good for the type of country I'm hunting though, as long as the ground isn't real wet.
>>>--------->

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I am 53 and have had a hip replacement for 5 years.  I still hunt solo at times and enjoy it.  I take precautions and try to think more than I used to.   I also plan ahead for game removal.  I go slower.  I use a GPS mostly so I can leave game out even in uniform looking woods and still find it.  I have fire making gear and emergency shelter with no matter how far I go.
My only major mishap was when I was 17!-I fell 100 ft into the Clackamus River in Oregon-solo!  I was found and rescued. fractured skull, dislocated thumbs, 56 stitches in my scalp(good thing I fell on my head!) So age is not necessarliy more dangerous than youth. I trust in the Lord's care in life or death.
Game removal here in Wyoming is tough at times, but there are ways to hire, beg, ask for help.  
Do what you are comfortable with.
I hunt more with friends than I used to, but realize that I rarely make a kill unless I am alone.  I also worry less about making a kill than I used to.  I have thought about a SPOT but not convinced I need one yet.
Statistics indicate that few are lost for long.
Interesting Post Ron W.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I do a lo of fishing and hunting solo and check in with the wife via cell phone when I get back to the truck. Most of my hunting friends can't sit more than a few hours and need to go back to camp.

On days/nights when I'm in the woods overnight, I leave a map and location of where I'll be.
If on the water when it's under 50 degrees I always check-in with the wife if I have cell phone coverage.

The older I get the more I think about what ifs and try to be more careful. The thing I think about the most is if I have a heart attack packing something out.

If I blow a knee, or throw out my back I'll make it out eventually...

If I was going to very remote area I would get a spot or rent a satelite phone.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Hunting alone in the big woods -

What else is there?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©