3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The sweetest miss.......  (Read 368 times)

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
The sweetest miss.......
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

I spent time hunting and filming from my DB blind this morning. So far I'm 100% at having deer come in on my double bull this year. I just set it against a good back drop i.e. deadfall, cedar tree, cluster of small trees, whatever, and hunt.

This morning was one of those mornings you dream about. The temp was dropping as the daylight began to creep in. We had a front moving in with rain and lucky for me it was holding about a mile northwest of my spot. And then it began..... I had does running this way and that. I could'nt keep track of who was who while I was filming. The cause of all this flitting around was a couple goofy pre-teen bucks. One being a tall spike and the other being a fork horn. These youngsters were up to no good and seemed to be enjoying themselves a great deal.

Finally a big mature doe was able to ge out of the chase and stopped around 20-25 yards in front of my blind. She was quartering away slightly and breathing heavy. I had to slide halfway off of my stool to get my bow shoulder pointed at her. I zoomed in my camera and started going through my shot process. I drew my Hoots longbow, settled my thumb knuckle behind my jawbone, and leaned my head in until I felt my nose touch the feather indicating it was almost time. Then focus, get still, hold, focus, BAM! The shot went off. I watched a perfect arrow in flight. I watched a perfect doe turn and duck with my arrow going about 2 inches over her back.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I can't ever remember missing something and feeling so satisfied. I replayed the event in my mind several times over the next few minutes. The grin on my face kept getting bigger and bigger. I knew that I had executed a perfect shot. I replayed the video in slow motion which showed that if she had not "jumped the string" my arrow would have hit just a couple inches above her heart resulting in a nice double lung hit. My left/right was flawless. I felt so much satisfaction as a result of missing. Very weird. I must say this is the first time I've felt this way. I suppose it's knowing that I did my part. To date this was the most satisfying arrow I've ever released.

Just wanted to share it.

Happy Hunting,
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The sweetest miss.......
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Just proves you don't have to kill something to have a successful hunt!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Good story. But the sweetest miss is my wife. "Miss-Hap".

Not so Hot Hap if she reads this.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Oh I bet she loves it when you call her that!  :knothead:
Carl Kossuth

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Yep! I told her I was going to get her a license plate with that on it. She assured me that she knew how to put my bows through a table saw.

Hap

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
You don't own a wood chipper do you?.....
Carl Kossuth

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hot Hap:
Yep! I told her I was going to get her a license plate with that on it. She assured me that she knew how to put my bows through a table saw.

Hap
That's funny!    :biglaugh:
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Any day hunting is a pleasure,if I measured success with a kill I guess I'd be dissappointed,but knowing you did everything right and still missed gotta give kudos to the deer.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Good story.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Good story.

Getting out and hunting is the cake.  Filling the tag is just the icing that makes the experience a little sweeter.

If I had measured the enjoyment of my hunts by the amount of game taken, I would have given it up a long long time ago.  :-D
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by House:
Just proves you don't have to kill something to have a successful hunt!

Travis
AMEN to that!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
thats awesome for sure!  sometimes the ol string jumpers get the best of us!
is it September yet??

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Awesome!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Gotta be extra SWEET to have it on tape so you can PROVE to your "inner self" you done good and it wasn't a flub... I always have to wonder... :)

BTW, mind if I ask: what type camo is your DB?  I got mine a few years ago and all that they made was one style and here in my area, they freaked even brushed in with screens. Kinda gave it up and haven't put it up in a couple years!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©