3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo or yew as a core?  (Read 842 times)

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo or yew as a core?
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I am saving up for a new longbow and would like to know what you guys think is better for the limb core. Yew or bamboo. Is there a big difference? I am looking at the Liberty Contender. Thanks for your input. John.
>>>------John------>

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo or yew as a core?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
I would go with the bowyers recommendation have him use what he is familiar with-you don't want him experimenting on your dime. Bamboo, yew, actionwood, all make good cores.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
What Bjorn said, 'boo is my favorite for a core..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I just started using Yew wood for cores on some of my limbs and it is outstanding material.   :thumbsup:  

But you can't go wrong either way.... IMO

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Good yew is great stuff in longbows with thicker cores, bamboo is a little more predictable.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »
I like the boo cores in my bow.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
I build with both. Premium yew is smoother to pull. In fact I like it better than foam. But its way hard to get. I have a wee stash of it.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:09:00 AM »
I would trust the bowyer as well and what he says about his bow and the core choices he has available.I know allen has his own stash of quality pacific Yew thats well seasoned.

I have had a 2 Contenders and 2 Chiefs.Two were Yew and 2 were bamboo.

I think the difference was negligable.

I think an all yew limb would be nice though for looks and he has quality yew.The Yew looks nice in profile as well IMO.I dont think you would need a veneer with Yew.But that tiger Myrtle he sometimes has is very nice.

My 1st chief off of the original chief form (he changed the design a bit later i believe) had a macassor ebony riser with bamboo cores and tiger myrtle veneers.Very elegant and one heck of a shooter.

Good luck with your bow!

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:32:00 AM »
I really don't know what limb wood is more responsive. But I do know that Allen cut his own supply of yew in the late 70's. So it is well aged as well as having beautiul markings. Good luck with your new bow!

Let us see the pictures when the Contender comes in.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
After a long talk with master bow builder James Berry, I decided to pay the little extra and go with the yew core in my bows. James believes that the yew is smoother drawing and the fibers break down more slowly than in the bamboo. I don't know of its enough that a person would ever notice, but man does it draw smooth, shoot fast and look incredible. Its yew for me!!!

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I love my Abbott longbow witch has a bamboo core and yew outer lams and i would like to ad another longbow. Its going to be awhile as I have to save the money so I will take your advice and get the bowyers advice. Thanks     everyone. John.
>>>------John------>

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Horatio, Thats a very nice bow you have there. I like it.
>>>------John------>

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
tonkin cane is my fave, for its smoothness of draw and durability - but most any core wood (or grass!) is gonna be just fine.  

we tend to obsess over our engines far more than where the most obsession should be - our missiles.  i'm as guilty as the next guy, too.  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
I'm a fan of Yew and Allen at Libertys yew is second to none .

But I am a fan of yew regardless ... I have it in a few Howard Hill Redmans and Halfbreeds , A couple of Jim Belcher Union Jacks , a David Miller Ol' Tom and couple if others .

I have 'boo in a few bows ...

But did I mention I love Yew ?

If it was good enough for Robin hood its good enough for me .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Over the years I've shot a lot of different cored bows and find that they all do the job and can't really see a bunch of difference one way or the other. Rooster, not to be a wise guy, why don't you buy a Abbott with yew cores and bamboo lams. Between the 2 bows you'll have the best of 2 worlds. I do agree with Rob, any core material will do the job.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
Yew would be my choice, for its beauty and character.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
As Bjorn said ask your bowyer. Other than the bowyer the only opinions that will actually be worth anything for your question will be someone that has shot your particular bow with both core woods at the exact same poundage.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
I have bows that have both. I recently purchased one of Allen Boice's Contenders with yew core and yew limb veneers...all yew. What a smooth easy to shoot bow. A true joy!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I will talk to the bowyer first. Like I said I do love my Abbott but thought I might want to support one of the bowyers from this great site that I love so much. Thanks everyone. John.
>>>------John------>

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
tonkin cane is my fave, for its smoothness of draw and durability - but most any core wood (or grass!) is gonna be just fine.  

we tend to obsess over our engines far more than where the most obsession should be - our missiles.  i'm as guilty as the next guy, too.   :)  
That's interesting Rob... It's been my understanding that Tonkin cane is typically used in fly fishing rods, but has too small of diameter when they harvest it to get lamination's wide enough for bow limbs.

i know of no one using true Tonkin bamboo to construct bows. Unless they are laminating the stuff up themselves....if it's in one piece, it isn't Tonkin.... Typically bowyer's use a high grade Moso bamboo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©