3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can You Bait Deer With Pound Cake??  (Read 1630 times)

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can You Bait Deer With Pound Cake??
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
You CAN bait a lot of bowhunters with a quality pound cake....
Jim

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Lanier,

Life goes on... and I'm just a wee bit proud of myself making the best of it and not getting bummed. It was too neat an experience on it's own and the hunting was just the impetus, not the main attraction. It would have been easy to cry in my beer, but we didn't have any!  :)

Oh, yeah...the poundcake! I NEVER in my life ate pastry of any sort that once cut, 4 days later (while well wrapped) was still moist, fresh and as flavorful as when opened! I hate to think how much 'butter' was in that puppy!

We had poundcake, Ken bought a huge pecan pie for an unhearlded price in a "no price" resturant but that is his story to tell...but it was GOOD!

We had steak & taters over an open fire pit w/ salad and peas. We had spaghetti, We had ham steak and taters over charcoal grill.

Evenings were late so we ate light of fruit, sandwhiches and one night, Joe made us some "gator cheeks" deep fried!

Nobody died from my cooking or ended up chained to the outhouse, so I guess that part went well enough!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Just got home from visiting friends in Minnesota for a few extra days so I am a bit behind getting my photos and thoughts together to share details of a fine time .... But let me start by saying on the first nights hunt I also got pinned down by a few bucks and stayed there in the dark until they decided to move off into the fields and let me out of my stand and get back to the cabin.

As I approach the cabin and reach for the door to the screen room I hear this incredible sound coming from the screen room, some might say it was the sound of some one screaming like a girl but to me it sounded like the cross between a grizzly bear death moan and a spine shot deer. There clutching the sliding door into the cabin is poor David   :scared:    :scared:  This poor guy is in serious pain. At first I thought maybe he was fooling around but it turned out not so. What a way to start a hunt !

For the rest of the trip David put his game face on and shot arrows with us, hunted a bit more, and did a Very Fine job of cooking and making camp life easy for the guys off hunting.

Thanks David ....  back with more soon   :campfire:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
:campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
If you participated in the St Judes auction you might remember this picture.

That is Buddy and Dakota putting up some of their hard earned doggie $$ to get a crack at some of Lil D's world renowned Pound Cake.

Thank you Lil D for all your fine efforts to make this a very special event in the St Jude auction.

And thank you Whip for inviting me to your cabin. It is a special place and it was an honor to share a camp with you, Charles and David.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
That's a powerful picture right there, Ken!

Melancholy at best... I take it given the age difference, Dakota is the one with some grey hair like Charles and I and Buddy is the one gone on to his reward?

That picture will long be remembered!

Thanks for your kind words on rustling grub.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Sounds you boys had a good time, Hope you heal up good Doc.

I'm waiting for the TN Classic for my poundcake    :goldtooth:
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Tough way to start out a hunt.  Hope you heal up soon.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Yes David Buddy is the pup on the left, he lost his battle with cancer just this past month days after his tenth birthday. And speaking of untimely death .....

Here is one of the 17' ladder stands Whip has on his property. To protect us from an early death or injury they were equiped with safety ropes and persic ( sure I spelled that wrong )knots so we could hook up at the bottom and be safe all the way up. Using this system was manditory at Whips and after using it a few days I found it both easy to use and very comforting getting in and out of my stand in the dark.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
:campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
We've got to hear from Charles yet... and his view of the events and a description of the awesome pound cake knife!

Y'know, Ken, I've never been terribly fond of ladder stands for bow hunting, but those Whip had (no longer made I believe he said) were the cat's whiskers! Big foot section, plenty of seat space and the SEAT FOLDED UP!

I believe the knot is termed Prusic, but won't swear to it. Googled it once and found sites with detailed directions on how to build those "life lines" : what rope to use, how to tie the prusic knot, etc.  

They are quite reassuring!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »

This young buck was my first of many young bucks I saw ... He stood above me for more than an hour trying to decide if it was safe to move a bit closer to the fields below. He was joined by another youngster just before sun down and they spared, antlers locked pushing and shoving getting ready to show the girls how tough they were. He worked his way finally down near my stand, calmly eating acorns. I could have spit on him he got so close. He stayed there way past dark so I had a late walk back to the cabin.

Whip had some very nice paths mowed all around the property between the corn, grass, and woods that made traveling after dark easy.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Prussic Knot, and yes, a lifeline and the prussic = NO WORRIES!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt!  Thanks for sharing the pics and stories.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Great stuff guys.  I will check back for More.

Hope you have  a picture of this Prusic not I am curious.   :campfire:    :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Great stuff guys.  I will check back for More.

Hope you have  a picture of this Prusic not I am curious.        :campfire:              :coffee:      
Here you go

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php    

Tie a rope from a limb above your stand (similar to a rope to hoist your bow, just larger to support your weight)and attach this to it from your safety harness and you CAN NOT fall.  Attached to the tree/safety line 100% of the time. Slide it up and down as needed
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

Some of the scenery enjoyed on the hunt. The farm was alive with wildlife. Turkeys, pheasants, several kinds of squirrles, lots of different birds. Oh yes .... and deer, lots and lots of deer. I saw deer from my stands 8 out of 10 sits. And six of those sits I saw bucks all within easy shooting distance. I just did not see one older than 1 1/2 and Whip asked that we let those grow a bit longer...  :banghead:  He has a good young crop coming up.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

A nice steak dinner cooking over a camp fire and home sweet home for 5 days. Doesn't get any better than that.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Dave,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but thanks so much for sharing.  I now feel so much better about confessing my sleep-deprived, lack-of-sound judgement attempts to run down a wounded whitetail on this site a week or so ago. (not to imply that wounds sustained in mortal combat would have somehow been more "studly" than those self-induced from removal a rubber "attack boot"....pain is pain) Prayers for a speedy recovery, buddy!
Richard
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
That knot is simple and definitely will be put to use. Thanks for sharing.

These pictures are making me home sick.

Thanks for sharing that should be taken in both a sarcastic and non sarcastic tone.

great stuff.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©