3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can You Bait Deer With Pound Cake??  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can You Bait Deer With Pound Cake??
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
I'll bet you can Whip- an old friend of mines son used Skittles to get a 150 class ten pointer when he was about 12 years old!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Remembering my old English Teacher's grammar lessons, "Can" means are you physically able.

I'd have to say, having been there, no PERSON (in this particular situation) would be "physically able" to bait deer with Li'l D's pound cake... cause they'd have gotten cut--wide, deep and frequent if'n they tried!  :)

I saw grown men lickin the plate day we left to get the last crumbs...

Not doubting deer would have come to it, good as it was, but don't think in that crew anyone would have survived trying!

Skittles, huh? Hmmmm...maybe it's just a S'uthin deer thing?   :D    :rolleyes:    :saywhat:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Maybe not deer, but from the looks of that cake. . .  you can bait me !

ChuckC

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
ChuckC,

You'll just have to save back a bone or two to get in next years action. We have a title to defend now!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Charles would have weighed in, but I got a call from that dear gentleman tonite to see how the leg was coming along.

As we spoke, I learned that a very near and dear friend of his was taken seriously ill on Charles' return and is awaiting a heart transplant.

Charles and his bride are headed to where this gent is hospitalized to give the family a break and sit with the man.  Charles hasn't even downloaded his pics yet but promises to try early next week to add his $.02 to the mix here of our grand time.

Chuck, Mind what Kris tells you...you've never wrapped lips on anything that taste's like Li'l D's pound cake.

I had way more than I deserved but it was equal fun to watch the other three contributors enjoy it with closed eye ecstasy...even with canned peaches on top!

The plate licking was the best...wish I'd gotten a picture of that shot...but alas, we were loading up and each step was a focused effort at that point, so I wasn't thinking of making visual records to share!    :D
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Dave, I don't think I have ever met a cake I didn't like. . .  immensely, especially if chocolate was involved in its construct.  Which of itself is another issue altogether.  

I have tried baiting deer with chocolate.  Maybe it was more "daring them" to try and take my chocolate away, I am not quite certain.

Folks here have asked how to spread the scent of an attractant better.  I have found that slowly masticating (chewing . . no need to look it up) the chocolate and forcefully breathing its essence out into the atmosphere works wonders. (works well for me at least).

During those sits I typically make sure I am ready for the worst, using heavy bow and with numerous arrows ready and arranged around my stand for easy access. Maybe a couple short but stout sticks at arms reach as a back up too. Heaven forbid a deer actually makes it thru to the chocolate pile.

Sometimes I think I have more fun than I deserve while out in the woods.
ChuckC

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
You missed it then, Chuck, cause just a few years ago, the bidding wars on St.Jude were over Chocolate Chip Cookies!  :)

I'm a bit of a chocoholic myself, so I do understand!  Never knew it to draw in deer, but I can say that just the act of rooting around in my pack for those candy bars has, on occassion, drawn in some fine opportunities that were, of course, totally blown because I had my head and hands in a day pack instead of on my bow!  :(

Se le vie.

Looks like Whip will have good weather back up at the camp this weekend, but here in SE PA, it's snowing like a banshee and expecting 5-6!

I can't even trust to pull on a boot to go out and shovel, lest I not get it off! Danged rubber attack boot!   :mad:  

Just starting to motor around without severe limp so I'm not taking ANY chances! Dang purple has now spread down into the calf!  :scared:    :eek:  

Charles thought perhaps I should write up a warning evaluation for the Product Review on ankle fit boots?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Better get some silk socks for those boots David.

Sorry to hear about Charles friend, you are certainly correct when refering to Charles as a gentleman. My main goal when accepting Whips generous offer to go hunting in Wisconsin was not to kill a whopper Wisconsin buck, but to meet a few new folks face to face that I have had the pleasure of knowing through Trad Gang. I was rewarded by meeting some very nice folks, ate some awesome pound cake, enjoyed Davids humor first hand, got to meet a Southern gentleman, witnessed how much Whip loves the Green Bay Packers, and saw some beautiful Wisconsin farm country.

We did have our share of chocolate on this hunt, we bought the 10#bag of assorted chocolate bars at Wally World. I think some have said 90% of our scent comes from our mouths so chocolate might be the ultimate cover up scent.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
This has been great stuff guys.  Can't wait to share this with Delaney.

Also, just want to point out how much of a force Whip has been in this pound cake deal.  He's coordinated more cake related activities and is holding my hand behind the scenes so no shareholders get left out.  

Just in case I haven't told you (Whip) how much we love you lately.    :wavey:  

Doc Noc....hate so much that you had the mishap.  OOOOUUUUCCCHH!  I sure was careful taking off my rubber boots this morning that is fo sho!

Thanks again guys.  World class gents....all of you.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Ken,
That wasn't chocolate! Unless it's darks as night, and "just chocolate" it don't qualify! Now, Toll House Bittersweet Morsels, that works!
(buddy once saw me whip out a bag of them and undo the twist tie and turned to his Dad and said, "Dad, Landis is eating cookie-guts for candy!" That stuck!)

DB,
I wouldn't have "known" but I did guess something akin to that of ole Whip! They broke the mold on that one!

As for the PC, oh, my! I have never in my life eaten a pastry that was shipped that far, still in that good a shape and retained the moistness that your darlin li'l D's pound cake evidenced!

Sir, I dunno how you can live in a house w/ women that bake that way and not be 5x5 wide!

Got txt from Whip that pefect weather Sat but no deer yet! We had a blizzard, lost power for 12 hrs and I thought I was back at the cabin, but the gas range paled in comparison to the wonderful pot-belly wood stove. Just not the same!  :(

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Ok, between power failures from a freak blizzard in Oct and trying to get stuff done today, I shook the camera really hard (and didn't hurt myself either!) and got some pics.

You saw Ken's great shots of the steaks cooking over an open fire.  The weather had turned just gorgeous, after a rather frigid start with AM's COLD and then moderating to sunny mid days.

While the steaks were cooking over a bed of glowing coals, I asked if someone would make the salad. As cook, I had the right to ask for assistance when needed.  

We'd bought some "bag" salad, so I thought the task somewhat less than onerous, but this is the look I got from Charles:

Turned out Charles thought I'd lost my Yankee mind since we didn't have tomatoes, raddishes, and other fixins he was stumped as to how was he to make a salad anyway?  (He wasn't there when we put the grub away to see the pre-prepared "bag" that needed opened and put in dishes and roust out the dressings!)  :rolleyes:  
Them West Coast boys take their eating seriously apparently, cause something must've gotten said to Ken and all I got was a "go ahead, touch my greens!" look:  :eek:  

About that time, I turn around and catch Joe lost in a lot of thought...snapped the pic and had to wonder if he was thinking to himself: "What the devil have I gotten myself into with this crew?!"

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
The camp as we said was incredible:  YOu'll note on the side of the right hand door there is the word LASCH spelled out in forged Horseshoes...very cool.

Wish I had a wider angle lens to get the add-on where we ate and had the couch, TV, and a set of bunks, but this is shooting thru the door to the kitchen and "master" bedroom!

As the reader will note, after my self-induced trauma from the "Revenge of the Rubber Attack Boots", Friday afternoon, I hobbled across the cut bean field to a ladder stand, dragging one leg like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but it was a beautiful sit!

That was the bean field we saw game in near dark.

This was the ridge rising up directly in front of me that looked like it should give up game at any moment!

To my left was uncut corn and this is the trail along the base of the ridge I expected "MR. BIG" to stroll any moment.

Since I spent a goodly amount of time around the camp in the AM waiting for the spasms in the hamstring to let up a bit, I did get this one shot of the front 'yard' that just makes me ache to be back there!

What a glorious place and what incredible company to share it with.  Aside from the hazards of my very own Attack Boots, I can say this was the best camp experience of my life and I was blessed to have been there with these fine genlemen.

Thank you all and also to my benefactor who made my presence possible!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
:campfire:     :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
It might be a while before we hear from Whip again, I'm sure he threw his cell phone through the TV last night on that last score against the Badgers.    :banghead:      :banghead:  

I'm with you David, I certainly would have liked to have stayed at the cabin at least another week or two. Good luck to Whip, perhaps he can go get a new phone and send us some hero pictures when he shoots the Whopper in Wisconsin. We know they are there.    :archer2:  

Charles and I got a big laugh out of Davids request to " do the salad " .... finally I got up, walked over and gave the bag a big shake and put a handfull in my bowl ... salad was done.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I'm sorry I missed all this good "writing and squeeling" (as opposed to "show and tell" -    ;)   ) as it spiraled out but on the other hand I get the "full MaGilla all at one sitting. Great report and pictorial guys and good to see you all through the "Eyes of St. Jude", and the Pound Cake Wars.  Y'all done great and it's good of my old friend Dave to stir my "ashes" and get me here to read it. Enjoyed it the most and so pleased that Dave got to take a well deserved break from his "homelife problems", through someones generousity. I have always told him that even cheer leading is a huge help to the annual St. Jude Auction(s), and can be very rewarding in itself. This was certainly an extra special reward. Sorry for the mishap with the boots (mine give me a fit sometimes too - but never like that - Man that is one huge bruise - the worst mine ever do is make my foot or calf go into a cramp.

Beautiful camp and country up there, whip.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkken:
Charles and I got a big laugh out of Davids request to " do the salad " .... finally I got up, walked over and gave the bag a big shake and put a handfull in my bowl ... salad was done.
:biglaugh:  That was my thought..just figured it'd help smooth the dinner get rolling without me hobblin all over to get bowls, the bag, the forks and dressings out while tending the peas inside, but when you guys told me later of your conversation about "how'd he expect me to make a salad?" I really laughed!

You might be right about Joe and the phone thru the TV! I'd expected an update txt at least, but he did say he was going to be busier than a dog in a fireplug factory working on some issues with a state wide group's convention.  :eek:    :rolleyes:  

I'd have voted Joe the most "laid back" person I've met in a while till the Sunday Green Bay game was due on! He surely did get revved up for that!  :jumper:  

Hope all is well with Charles and his friend's situation... miss his antics and comments on here.

Hell, I just miss all you guys period! Withdrawals is hitting baaad!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
I'm back home for a short visit.  Just long enough to kiss the wife, wash some clothes, plan a banquet, and head back for more hunting.

Deer activity was pretty slow this past weekend, and once again no deer were harmed in the process.  Hopefully that changes soon - I'm running out of time fast!

I have to say this was the probably the easiest I've ever had it at the cabin.  Dave is alergic to onions (of all things!) so he offered to handle the menu planning and cooking to make sure we didn't poison him.  Sounded good to me!

I just sat back and was waited on hand and foot.  Dave's unfortunate boot attack meant he spent even more time around the cabin and ended up cleaning the cabin, doing the dishes, fetching wood, etc., etc. in addition to cooking our meals.  What a treat! I could get used to having a cabin boy!  

And to think he couldn't even talk anyone into helping to make a salad  :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »
Hey, there our host is!!! Sorry there wasn't more activity for you, but it's coming!

Son, anytime you need a "cabin boy", you let me know... I only broke one cup with soapy hands, and burned way too much wood...but I'd get better w/ practice!  :)

Sitting in any one of the beautiful stand locations I saw thru pictures or my own short experiences, would make time pass well.

you surely do have your own li'l piece of heaven right there!

As for blood, I drew some, just not on the ground...   :eek:    "[dntthnk]"  

I don't know if I could have had the week go much more prefectly, aside from the torn hamstring, but all good things have a cost!

Thanks so much for such a wonderful experience and grand memories!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Back up top.

Charles is home and I want him to find this easy enough!

Let's all join in prayers for his good friend awaiting a heart transplant as we enjoy our time in the fall woods!

Welcome home, Charles!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Prayers sent for a successful surgery. Oh and thanks for taking us along for the week
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©