3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Samick bow...what can you tell me about them?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
Samick bow...what can you tell me about them?
« on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
I've had my eyes on the line of 62" take down recurves, by Samick, in the 45# range. I'd like to find one for around $300 or less. The Sage runs around $129 and the Phantom runs around $229, which I see as reasonable. I've owned custom recurves before, so I'm familar with them and am looking foreward to getting back into traditional archery.

* Has anyone shot a Samick t/d recurve? If so, what's your opinion?
* Where did you get your's?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
George Washington didn't defeat the British with his freedom of speech....he shot them.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Samick bow...what can you tell me about them?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with the price. I have never shot one but have heard/read good reviews. Most folks who have shot them would say you get more than your money's worth.

I have a Samick one piece recurve and love it. I probably overdraw it but it has held up fine and shoots great.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Ive shot several of them and set up some beginners with Samick bows.
In my opinion for the money they are OK. Quality isnt Super, ive seen 1 delaminate and 1 Riser get cracks but ive also seen many that still hold up very good and caused no problems at all. They need some work to get em quiet and they arent the fastest, but as said for a beginner they work fine. My girlfriend is shooting a Samick SHT and likes it very much.

That said, if i would live in the US with all those vintage Bears, Pearsons etc. for little money around, i wouldnt go the Samick route. But here used bows for little money are....Samicks.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
saumensch is right. For $300 you can get a real nice older Bear.

I have Super Grizzly from the 70s and it is my go-to bow. The Samick I own has not seen the woods while in my hands.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
imo, these offshore, conglomerate mass produced stick bows are reasonably durable.  i've bought, used and given away more than a few.  

however, i think that rather than spend $200 on a new asian made bow, one would be far better off amassing another $50-150, and take their time to vigilantly check the classifieds for a used one piece stick bow (though t/d's can be found at that price occasionally - a superb 3pc checkmate t/d recurve just sold for $225!).  

look for a modern stick bow that can handle hmpe bowstrings ("fastflight approved") and over-the-counter manufacturers such as martin and bear, and definitely most any offering by a custom shop bowyer.

make SURE the bow you select will be a holding weight you can easily handle and that its length will be in proportion to your draw length.  this can vary greatly depending on the type of bow in question.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I'll play the other side of the coin than Rob D on this one.  If I only had 300 dollars to spend for a daily shooter, I would rather spend it on a new Samick than a used Martin or Bear or Checkmate or ??.  The performance will be about the same but if the Samick fails after six months, I get a new one.  If the used one fails after six months, I have about a pound and a half of firewood.

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
PM sent.
60" RER LX 46@28"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Turkeys Fear Me:
I'll play the other side of the coin than Rob D on this one.  If I only had 300 dollars to spend for a daily shooter, I would rather spend it on a new Samick than a used Martin or Bear or Checkmate or ??.  The performance will be about the same but if the Samick fails after six months, I get a new one.  If the used one fails after six months, I have about a pound and a half of firewood.
good point, however ... i've seen far more asian otc bows fail than usa otc, and way far less usa customs.  it's all a gamble of sorts.  i'll stick with the tried 'n' true customs.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I wouldn't buy one if you paid me. I've seen two longbows break and two recurve risers crack on them. I would go with a used bow from a decent bowyer.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mint:
I wouldn't buy one if you paid me. I've seen two longbows break and two recurve risers crack on them. I would go with a used bow from a decent bowyer.
Just saw a recurve yesterday with a delaminated limb and a cracked riser.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
My first traditional bow was a Samick Predator take down recurve.  I had no complaints, a good bow for the money, TRW.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I'd be willing to wager that Samick's failure rate per unit sold is lower than that of most custom bowyers, especially when the bows get to be second or third hand.

If the failure rate on the Sage alone was 5%, that would be more bows than most custom bowyers make in a year.

It really is a matter of scale and perception.

There are going to be a LOT more Hondas getting warranty work than Lamborghinis, but the failure rate will be MUCH higher for the Lambos.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I bought and immediately returned a Sage this spring. I think they have a good reputation and it was certainly a good value in function, but the riser and limb attachment system looked kind of like $2 can opener glued onto a foot and half of 2x4.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I would go the used bow route too. I like to bow hunt and would not consider a bow made by a non bow hunter.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
I ordered a Samik Stingray from a TG sponsor and was not impressed at all. It went back in the box after 15 minutes.

I have heard others who have handled a lot of bows give them decent reviews and I am just not sure where they are coming from.

I would buy a used bow from a reputable company.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
IMO samicks are not bad bows, my friends first bow was a stingray, he still owns it and hunts with it. They are fast flight compatible, light, quiet,and the price is less than a bear grizzly. The grip also fits my hand well. However, I know nothing about the samick company or their background. All I know is that for the price of my friends bow, it seems like a pretty good deal.

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Without a doubt look at the used market. There are great bows there that will hold their value. Watch the classifieds and  http://traditionalarcherysales.com/index.php
Len Busbee is a straight shooter and has lots of good used bows.
Chuck

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I love my Red Stag.

Try to find a laminated riser takedown for under $200 anywhere, let alone a used one.

I killed a bunch of deer with mine.  It shoots fine.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I had Red stag one piece and it shot really well.It was a good looking bow and did not have any flaws to be concerned with.Glue lines were good and overlays were good.

looks like thier are possibly some quality control issues possibly from what I have read.So its possible you might get a lemon.

I have only had the one Samick and it was a good bow.Not a large sample though.

I think you could run a wanted add in the classifieds for a 62 inch TD second hand in your price range and see what responses you get.

You might find a cherry of a bow that way for a reasonable price.

I would try that 1st.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steelhead:
... looks like thier are possibly some quality control issues possibly from what I have read. ...
in essence, that is the gamble with those over-the-counter asian bows.  particularly with hunting weight bows and not kid's or ladies bows.  my youngest adult daughter shoots a greatree longbow and it's just fine for her.  her 9yo son alex shoots a custom maddog longbow, and THAT is THE bow for kids!  or adults!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©