3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: when do you start setting all day  (Read 862 times)

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: when do you start setting all day
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I have to have high confidence and great winds for the stand to stay all day....That being said, Last week of October thru the gun season is my timing.  Saw a bruiser on a neighboring farm at 3:35 PM yesterday.  It's getting there quick..
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Unless I'm seeing a lot of deer moving I find it very difficult motivate myself to sit the entire day.

Usually after 3-4 hours my back and neck are telling me I've had enough.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
In 42 years of bow hunting I've never sat more than 3 or 4 hours at a stretch.  Never could tolerate that even as a youngster.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
First week of Nov. I sit til 1 or 2 if I can't hunt the evenings. I Have shot a bunch of deer around noon doing this. When I can hunt the evening I break for lunch and come right back or meet up with a buddy and eat in the woods. When the guns are going off I hate to leave the woods at any time.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Tried it once, gave it up.  Dad told me long ago that the best thing he ever had come out of an all day sit was thinking about all the better ways he could spend his time.  I agree with Don Stokes on this one - I enjoy deer hunting too much to torture myself.

I really LOVE those hunting stories that involve an all day sit and a buck killed in the last 30 minutes of the day..gotta wonder if the hunter learned anything?!?

Seriously the first 3-4 hours and the last 3-4 hours of the day are 90% of your chance to kill a deer....I'm not into doubling that time input to only add another 10% chance...there are other things I could be doing - scouting new ground, hanging treestands, tweaking stands that are already up etc. etc. etc. that add WAY more than 10% to my chance of success than just being in a treestand reading a book.  Couple that to the fact that I generally strategize my setups as high odds morning or high odds evening stands, I can't see spending a whole day in one spot.

Ryan

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
I agree with Ryan on this one.  Honestly, I feel that the folks writing about the "all day sits" just make for interesting stories about guys that are "tough enough" to do it.  I mean who has the luxury of having nothing else to do but sit and hunt all day long.  Not me.

justin
Hill

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
I don't sit well.  I have to pick and chose and be very tight with my "all day sits".  I feel that the first two weeks in November (upper midwest) are the time.  When I am out and see a buck seriously chasing a doe near that time frame, it tells me that they may be moving any time of day.  If I can get the time then,  that's when I go.  Frankly though, I don't like to go in too early, for sure not in the dark.  Too easy to make a ton of disturbance, especially since I hunt public property and have to take my stand and thngs with me at the end of each day.
ChuckC

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Don't like sitting, rather still hunt, move a little, look a lot and spot and stalk.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Sometimes I sit all day, sometyimes not depends on how much I want to leave. Some days its easy others are not so.

I really enjoy meeting buddies after a hunt or for a in woods oicnic to hear about their morning hunts and shar emine.

If I am hunting alone, and it is peak rut, I will sit all day. This is mostly because I have to drive up to an hour to hunt. I am not driving home for lunch and then back again. Too much travel If I am driving an hour to hunt, I will just stay home if I only have 1/2 day available.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I have sat all day only a few times and it has been quite a while since I have done it. Don't want to do it again. I will sit longer than usual this time of year but take a break for lunch and then get back at it. Sitting all day is one of the most physically hard things I have ever done.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Some of you guys make this all day hunting sound like work.  Just think of all the folks who sit at a computer all day long.  How about those who sit and watch westerns or football from sunrise to sunset?

Actually, it's the cold that chases me off stand.  If it's above freezing, I have no problem staying all day if the rut is in swing.
Lon Scott

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
If deer are moving and I'm having some action I'll do an all-dayer.  During the rut I have seen them  all throughout the day, keeps me motivated to stay on stand.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I can sit in the seat of a semi for ten or twelve hours...but, do stop for rest areas and such..

Have not found a seat, ground or stand; that is comfy enough for sitting still, all day !!

3-4 hours is about my max sitting time. Sit, slink, sit....is more to my taste.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
I do all right when its cooler out, but if I sit all day when its sunny and mild I tend to nod off.
I used to hunt from a ground stand in a plot of Christmas trees, The deer were used to human scent from the frequent trimming. I fell asleep one afternoon and when I woke up there were deer everywhere. Of course when I sat up they exploded in every direction.

God Bless,
Buck

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Ever year is different this year 10 -18 nov.One year fell asleep on the ground,woke up to find a flock of turkeys all around me.I thought they were buzzards at first.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I've done it lots of times, and do it annually.  A few years ago I hunted for over a week in november and sat in a stand from light till dark every day.  I was seeing incredible action.  I did shoot a nice buck on that hunt...but guess when it happend?  Right before dark.  However, I did have alot of close calls, and passed up numerous bucks during the middle of the day.  I still hunt all day alot, but I mostly do it when I have that "feeling".  Sometimes, I just don't wanna leave the woods, because I really feel like something is going to happen.   As some have mentioned, there is often alot of action between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.  This is not just something writers are putting in print to tell a good story.  I can tell you I have seen some great bucks between this period.  But I have never shot any of them. They do move then though.  I think the reason is that the bucks know that most does are bedded at this time.  This way they can go from bedding area to bedding area and very efficiently check them out.  Hunting all day from a stand can be very difficult to endure.  If you are enjoying it, then do it, but like was mentioned earlier, if it starts to seem too much like work, then don't do it.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I sit all day sometimes, not every hunt. Sneeking around hones ones woodsmanship. I especially like stalk hunting new ground. Kinda scouting and hunting at the same time. When the bucks start chasing does I will sit all day. Im talking pre rut. I have found when the rut is in full gear I see less deer. I guess they breeding instead of chasing.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I haven't done it.  I will go out late and hunt mid day if I don't feel like getting out of bed early.  I enjoy the morning hunts because if I shoot one, I have all day to track it.
>>>--------->

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I plan on sitting all day this Saturday, I can't wait! I moved one of my stands yesterday and it should be in a perfect spot for Saturday's hunt. Opening day pheasant season starts this Saturday in KS so the deer will be moving extra good.    :bigsmyl:    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
If you have large tracks of land to access, then you are wise to get up and move and learn etc during midday, but if you only have small parcels then staying put during the rut is your best option. I have killed 5 bucks over 150 between 10:30 and 1:30, another reason I tend to sit all day. For me, it seems to have more to do with not spooking the does as well. I do a lot of filming and see a lot of imature bucks moving during this time. We are not all into killing big bucks, so if that is you, then give the midday during the rut a try. Ha!   Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©