3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Keeping an old Bear strung??  (Read 284 times)

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Keeping an old Bear strung??
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Hey all. I like to keep my go-to bow strung for easy practice on an almost daily basis. That has usually been a newer custom that I knew could be left strung all the time.

Wondering if its ok to do this with a 65 Kodiak. Its all I have right now and plan on hunting with it this year. I love this thing and now that it has "go-to honors" I plan on shooting it every couple days or so.

Always thought the older ones could not be left strung but have recently heard otherwise. Any experience out there?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keeping an old Bear strung??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Bear, I shoot nothing but older Bear recurves and often keep whatever I'm using at the time strung for long periods of time with no ill effects. While I might hesitate with anything pre 1964 because of the glues, I don't worry about my later '60s models at all.I have owned the majority of my twelve old Bears for twenty or more years. Of course for many there are safety issues with kids and other "unauthorized personnel" but that is not an issue for me.I would never leave it strung in high heat conditions or where the the limbs might be in a twist and if the bow is not seeing regular use I unstring it. None of my bows have lost poundage or otherwise shown fatigue but everything has a lifespan and would hate to have my point of view adopted by someone else just prior to their bow giving up the ghost. Sorry to be so long-winded ...and inconclusive to boot!   Grant

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
I leave mine strung for long periods of time also.

I hang them horizontal by the string when storeing them.

You probly stand a bigger chance of damaging a bow by stringing/unstringing it than you do by leaving it strung.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
ypu will do more damage unstrung than leaving them strung my go to bow a Bear Hunter Takedown is strung for months at a time .can just grab it and shoot LOL-- her
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Thats about what I figured. I suppose I'll go with for a week or two then check draw weight just to be safe.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
I have had a 1961 Kodiak and a 1959 Grizzly strung for a bit more than a year; only unstrung once each to twist the string. You will see a drop of one# early and then no more. Also if you leave the bow unstrung for a bit the 1# will come back; and go away again after a few days of being strung. I don't like to string and unstring recurves any more than needed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©