3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Trackers  (Read 380 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
String Trackers
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone uses them? All the time, or in certain situations?

I have one I use if I'm hunting rainy weather, or in certain areas of particularly nasty thick cover.

I find it doesnt effect arrow flight much, but I do limit shots to under 15 yds when I use it.

Curious if anyone else uses them. Or if they're considered trad taboo?
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Trackers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
click here  

No they aren't taboo.  Here's a String tracker how to by Guru.  He uses them turkey hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
For turkeys they are outstanding!
George
_------------->

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Yep Curt uses um   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
I don't use them since I don't bowhunt in the rain.

If it's not raining, I don't care how thick the cover is, I like to track animals the old fashioned way, with a blood trail.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Contact GURU he is the man with string trackers.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I personaly think it would be to much like bow fishing, but to each their own if it helps you and bring comfort or confidence than use it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I used one back in the eighties, shot a big bear, kept trying to "set" the hook as he ran off, pass through, had a "double" string to a dead bear! worked great.
mike

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I have mine attached directly to my bow with the strap on bracket I use for attaching a bowfishing reel. It works great and does not adversely effect the bow or arrow flight.

I don't use it in all hunting but if I find myself sitting in some of the nastier areas of the property i hunt or if its starting to rain I may use it. I hunt adjacent to some areas so thick you can hardlyvcrawl through and thats usually where deer will go once shot. It really helps to get you to first blood when they dive in there then head off in a different direction than what you may think. I prefer to bloodtrail too, but have had a tough go of finding that first blood in the gnarly thickets where I hunt.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I had the same experance as Grizz and had a "double" string to a dead bear.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
The idea of a string tracker is interesting, especially the idea of opening up hunting in the rain, but I just can't imagine how it works without the string eventually hanging up on brush and breaking off.  Anyone care to enlighten me?  I'm not knocking them, just curious how they work.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I looked at them back in the 80's and the string reminded me of dental floss, Never tried them but friends say they work. I don't hunt in the rain and most of may arrows don't stay in the deer.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
If it helps recover ONE animal that would have been lost without it, it's totally worth it in my book. Sounds like a great idea to me. I respect anybody's effort in helping recover game, no matter how they do it.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Ideally I would love to get a bloodtracking dog, but we have 2 dogs now, and the wife says one has to go if I do that. Naturally I offered up her little yapping Corgie, which got vetoed immediately. Which would mean I would have to part with my golden retriever, who's my buddy and follows me everywhere. So, the tracking dog is gonna have to wait. Unless I craft a plan LOL.

I would say I use the string tracker on less than 10% of my hunts. I've enjoyed a double string to a dead critter before, and I've also had it get snagged in brush and break off. Inthat case though, it was a ways dowmn the trail, and I had blood by then to assist. They are especially helpful in situations where you're not getting a lot of blood- high entrance with no exit, etc. Deer can often cover a good amount of ground before they start leaking, and if they are running full bore across an open area, graassy field or plowed crop field, you're in  trouble. Tracks are great, but throw in a lot of tracks from other deer as well, and again the situation can end poorly.

I will say going back and gathering up 100 yds of string after recovering a deer can be a headache, but its important so other animals don't get tangled up in it.

I first started using one after a hunt in Indiana years ago. Heavy overcast morning, had rained all night. I got into my stand, and shortly after daylight I shot a spike buck, hitting a little far back, but still a good hit. He ran into this ungodly tangle of flora rose, they had tunnels through it. After the shot I hung my bow on the hook and prepared for the usual wait before taking up the trail . Literally within seconds of hanging up my bow, the skies opened up a deluge. No sprinkles to warn of pending rain. It just opened up.

I immediately got down from my stand and started looking, and while i had a bloodtrail, I was wathcing it wash away before my eyes. It poured like that for the rest of the morning, and we searched and searched, ut the buck had vanished into the tangle or thorns. My partner suggested usingthe string tracker,as he does when the weather threatens rain. I now keep one in mygear, and if rain is in the forecast, it goes in my fanny pack. I can throw it on my bow in a few seconds, and be good to go. If it starts raining hard, I go in. I dont like sitting getting soaked, and frankly I would have a hard time taking a shot in a steady rain anywy, knowing its not conducive to recovery of game. The tracker is kind of a backup insurance. Its not foolproof, but it sure helps in some situations.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
I personaly think it would be to much like bow fishing, but to each their own if it helps you and bring comfort or confidence than use it.
That's a rediculous statement   :rolleyes:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
They are the bomb for turkeys! Never have used them for anything else but I couldn't see why they wouldn't work just as well.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Never used them for deer.  But on turkeys like someone else said they are great.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:

Originally posted by lpcjon2:
That's a rediculous statement    :rolleyes:  [/b]
Whats rediculous about using a string on an arrow to recover what you shot. the only difference is that one swims and the other runs. If it helps you recover what you shot then thats cool, I just dont like the idea for deer. The thats the beauty of opinions.  :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Hi !

I would be curious to try a string tracker, but how come I have not found it from any shop - does Three Rivers sell it - or someone else?
Thanks!
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
I had one when I used one of those wheeled things...it worked for the most part but in thick brush they will snag and break. Depending on how far the animal got before it broke the only good thing about that is that it will give you a last direction travelled??
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©