3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Elk Hunting.... Questions?...  (Read 224 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming Elk Hunting.... Questions?...
« on: October 29, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I just spoke with a friend of mine yesterday. He asked if I wanted to bow hunt some elk next year.... Stupid question.

Anyway, his cousin has an area to hunt out there and my friend planned on going next year. I had originally planned on hunting Colorado next year if I did not get drawn for the Kentucky lottery draw. Being that I will have free board in Wyoming it was an easy choice.

Until I went onto the Wyoming hunting app website. Here is the questions.

hunters choose from a range of licenses, from a general license to licenses for limited quotas in specific or combined hunting areas.

What does all that mean exactly? It is ok if I get a cow or bull tag. I just do not know how to apply and what is the best wat to go about it. In Co there is an over the counter Bull tag. It seems like Wy does not have that.

Any help would be appre   :archer:   ciated.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming Elk Hunting.... Questions?...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
First you will have to see what area your friend has in mind to hunt, then it will be a matter of checking the odds of draswing that area or seeing what other options are avaiable.  Wyoming can be tough.....
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Do you know what area the cousin hunts? We are a big state with lots of different areas; some are general licenses, others are limited quota. Some limited quota areas are a tough draw, even the type 9 (archery only) areas.
Just depends on which area of the state you are looking at before us Wyomingites can give a semi intelligent answer. Let us know, and maybe we can help out.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Ok... Ill be seeing him tomorrow at work so Ill get a location. Is there area that have over the counter tags for non resident? Or is it all draw and it is just a matter of odds per area?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
There are usually leftover cow/calf tags in some areas which can be purchased after the draw is complete (August, I think). Most of these will be places where access might be limited due to private lands. For instance, this year I didn't get my choice of a 34 archery tag, so I got an over the counter cow tag for that area (didn't matter, I only saw bulls  :bang head:).
Northwestern Wyoming has had the elk ravaged by wolves, and areas around Dubois have quite a few grizzlies, so keep that in mind as well.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Ok... that sounds promising at least...I just do not want to end up not being able to draw any elk tag at all. Ky lists result for theirs about april so it still leaves time to research Wy and if not then Co.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
You apply in WY in Jan and find out in Feb for any tags you get through the draw.  I like that you know if you'll be hunting WY elk before many other state apps are even due.  

Don't know much about leftovers tag situation.  

Good luck.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Ok that works....Is it like the Co muley tag where you have to pay for tag when you put in for lottery and then get a refund if you do not get drawn? Or do you just put in for lottery then pay if you get drawn?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
You will pay first, and  if you don't draw, you get a refund. BTW, is the guy you are going with a Wyoming resident? As a non resident, you can't hunt wilderness areas without a guide, but a Wyo resident can work as an unpaid guide in wilderness. Don't know how that effects your planning.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Yes he is a resident and that is very good to know

Thanks
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©