3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Inserts and carbons  (Read 210 times)

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
Inserts and carbons
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Greetings All,

I'm getting ready to find the correct spine carbon for my longbow.  I've never messed with carbons before so this is a My question;  What glue do you use that makes easy removal of the insert as I will probably have to shoot, remove insert, cutshaft, then reglue the insert in my quest to find the correct length/spine/tip weight combo...

I'd hate to screw up the shaft by using the wrong stuff...

Thanks in advance.

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Inserts and carbons
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I just responded somewhere else to the same question, maybe you. I cut from the nock end and I wrap Saran Wrap around the insert and shove them in tight and shoot into a homemade bag target so I can retrieve the points if they come out. I do this as I experiment with inserts too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I've used different insert glues with about all the same luck. currently useing Insert Iron(bohning) product I believe.

If you know you plan to remove you could just use a touch of glue intead of gluieng the entire insert and then once you know for sure then reglue the entire insert.

Biggest thing is be carefull applying heat when removing them.  I put a target tip in a vise then heat the tip and threads of the tip, then screw on the arrow and give a second or two for the heat to transfer to the insert and slowly twist arrow. If it don't feel like it'll let go the apply heat to the very tip on the point staying well away from the carbon and the insert. Trying to heat the insert will for sure dmagae the carbon cause the flame is just to hot to get that close to the arrow.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Jason............

If you are tuning bareshaft, glue the insert in permanant and cut the nock end of the shaft, remove the nock and recut till you get where you need to be. OR If you use lo-temp hot melt you can remove them easily with a little heat, just heat the point, not the shaft.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
A touch of hot melt til you get them how you want them...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
one very tweakable method is to epoxy in a 25gr aluminium insert and then use a combination of adapters (aluminium 25gr or 42gr - or steel 75/100/125gr) and glue-on points (100 to 190gr) or screw-in points (100-300gr).  

this will allow total front end weights of 125gr to 325gr.  

all these adapters and point weights make for a great little carbon "front end test kit".  once the right front end and total arrow weight is discovered, settle on type of insert, adapter, glue-on and/or screw-in point of your choice.  this is the one super advantage of non-woodie shafts - lots of easy to use choices for points.

how cool is that?  i say way!   :D

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
i use the hot melt glue sticks. like the ones you buy for a hot glue gun. heat up with hot glue gun or a candle when gluing in the inserts and the heat with a candle to remove. thats what i use for testing purposes and for hunting purposes.
Kevin Day

Offline skarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Tried the new Bohning Blue hot melt made for carbons on my broadheads this year. Worked great and if you use glue-in glue-on inserts like i do it allows you to remove them and use the arrows with normal inserts after hunting. Got it from 3Rivers.

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Can probably save you a little money getting them up to the proper weight and gives them great FOC. I use 100 grain 6-mm. 243 bullets. Just epoxy them behind your insert. Works great and helps with the archers paradox.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Insert iron, removes with heat

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
one very tweakable method is to epoxy in a 25gr aluminium insert and then use a combination of adapters (aluminium 25gr or 42gr - or steel 75/100/125gr) and glue-on points (100 to 190gr) or screw-in points (100-300gr).

I agree with all that EXCEPT....almost no one has any of those adapters in stock right now.Badger does have some 100 gr ones.I'm not sure what that is all about.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
The plastic wrap trick works well, and what I used to do until the low temp hot melts showed up.

We have every adapter weight in stock right now except 125's if you want to go that route.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Hot melt and insert tool.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.