3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use a Steven Catts Mountain Hunter Quiver?  (Read 438 times)

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone use a Steven Catts Mountain Hunter Quiver?
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
These look like the ultimate "cat quiver style" quiver. Just wondering how they are to load, are they comfortable etc. Mr. Catts is a great craftsman, I own several of his other style quivers, just need info on this model. thanks doug

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use a Steven Catts Mountain Hunter Quiver?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Doug,

I had steven make me a mountain hunter four or five years ago. It is a fantastic quiver. You can use it as a arrow tube for travelling. The only drawback being it does not work well if you like a fanny pack or any backpack for that matter. You could strap it to the side of a large frame pack and it would work well. I use mine moose hunting. It's ideal for throwing into the canoe and keeping your arrows dry and safe from damage. I leave it in the tree when hunting same stand next morning. Your arrows will always be dry and well protected. If you intend to use it all the time I would consider having a smaller diameter tube. I would say mine is roughly 6" diameter and could hold 15-20 arrows. For hunting I rarely carry more than six arrows, 3 1/2 or 4" might work better. As for the harness system it is great and as you know stevens work is top notch.
hunt it

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
PICS

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for your input. I'm with you, six is plenty. I'm trying to figure out a way to attach it to a small day pack, or possibly a fanny, that has been modified. I looked at the cat quiver today for the first time, the combo with the small pack is kind of the idea I had in mind, I'm sure they are OK quality, but one of Stevens quivers is made to last several lifetimes, and for some reason the older I get quality is very important to me.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
I have been thinking about having Angelo at Bison gear make me a fanny pack that would accomodate the mountain hunter. I know he can do it. It would require two compartments with say six inches clear in middle so you could wear both. You could also have Steven modify the quiver so it had several loops sewn on each side for lashing it to a pack. I would also have Steve make the harness system for the quiver so that it is removable. He could use brass dog leash type clips so you can take harness on and off.
hunt it

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
I've considered putting an arrow in Cat Stevens, does that count?  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Brent,

is that like being followed by a moon shadow?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »

Ridin high because of my body position, I'll try to get a better one later
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
I have been thinking about his Sidekick II as a hunting quiver.  Does it hang vertically so it can be worn with a back pack?
Lon Scott

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

A better picture that is. Cannot be worn with backpack.Although I have used it with a fanny pack, but it does make it ride with the top almost hitting me in the back of my head.That's why the other guys are thinking it would work well with a waist belt and a side pouch on either side.As long as the pouch doesn't get in the way of arrow access.

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Growler and Hunt It, what do you think of this idea? I haven't talked to Steven to see if this is possible, but like most things, anything can be done if you want to pay for it.... anyway I'm thinking of having him make me one that is larger around, put a full length divider through the quiver. Leave enough room on the opening side to carry about 4 broadheads, then create some sort of "door" to access the entire length of the quiver on the enclosed side. That would give you the option to carry more arrows, or what I'm looking for is water and gear storage. Am I crazy.....? it wouldn't be the first time I've been told it....Doug

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Where can i get one of those quivers guys? that is EXACTLY what i need for Oregon brush and rain hunting.

i think i'd want a flap over the side hole i could easily  lift up when getting an arrow though...keep the brush and rain oout that way....Could someone PM me on this? Thanks, Kirk

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Kirk, take a look at his website    http://www.hidehandler.com/index.htm  

He builds some great stuff, that quiver comes with a "hole cover", I think.  Sounds like we both hunt in the same Oregon rain...Doug

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
I just bought one of Steve's sidequick quivers at Baltimore and love it!  I'm hunting with it this year.  Steve does great work and is a nice guy on top of it all!

Lee  :thumbsup:

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
Doug,

You will add considerable weight with all that extra leather. What about having steven put a couple of extra side pouches on the existing quiver?
hunt it

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lee Viv:
I just bought one of Steve's sidequick quivers at Baltimore and love it!  I'm hunting with it this year.  Steve does great work and is a nice guy on top of it all!

Lee   :thumbsup:  
You have a photo of your side quiver? this guy does some nice work....i got an email into him last night...kirk

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
Kirk,

Here ya go!

Lee

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Doug, To carry more arrows, I think I would have Steve make it wider, in an oval shape. Then use a waist belt with pouches(buckskinner possibles type). Then get one of Steves leather water bottle holsters for your water bottle and slip it on your belt.

The access opening could be made a bit smaller and then maybe a "curtain" of fringed deer skin could be sewn in to keep more of the elements out.

There is one small improvement that could be made, although I don't know the level of difficulty that Steve would incur, and that would be to make the top sloped. That way heavy rain would run off better and it would slip thru the brush a bit easier. It would make for a longer quiver though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©