3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long days in the treestand, Not a lot of action  (Read 443 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Long days in the treestand, Not a lot of action
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
This has been a frustrating week. The area I'm hunting is usually very active this time of the month,withbucks chasing does, making scrapes etc.

Walkingthe property, I found afew small scrapes last week, and none have been touched, and no new ones. Rus are scarce this year, and worse yet, activity in general is about non-existent. I sat from noon till dark the last 2 days, to the point my butt is killing me.

Saw a couple small does aout 80 yds off last night, nothing today. All in all, the week has been dead, with 3 days in a row of seeing nothing. That never happens here. Or at least it never used to.

One more day to hunt then I gotta go home for a week. I'll be back for a few days the 2nd week of Nov. up until gun season starts. I really would like to put one on the ground before that.

Guess I gotta suck it up and keep on it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long days in the treestand, Not a lot of action
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm running into the same thing here.  It will pick up. I hope

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
We are just a little early give it a week and the woods should come to life.We have just been seeing small bucks and a few does lately.Its the calm before the storm.Leatherneck and myself are going to move some stands tomorrow and put in some cams to see whats going on next saturday we will begin  hunting non stop until Thanksgiving.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Guys, I too have experienced very slow frustrating hunting.  But do not despair..the good time is coming!  Last year by this time, I had passed up 8 different bucks, not counting the ones I saw but were not in range.  This year, I have only seen 3 bucks!  These things happen.  It will get better.  Sometimes, I find it refreshing to take a break when the hunting is slow.  This way I do not loose confidence before the rut heats up.  Good luck out there!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Your not alone.......According to my Journal I have 41 hours in so far and have yet to see a deer. Hard to keep at it! Walked over a mile and a half on fresh snow on Friday and cut one old track. Discouraging to say the least......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Same here. been at it for three weeks. Not a single deer. hope it picks up soon.  :pray:

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Slow here in NE Okla too,but did see a small buck chasing while I was going home from town this morning,probably a week or 2 away.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Same thing here in South Georgia for the past week.  Next week will be better after the moon cycles on out.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Your not alone.   It has been unbelievably slow where I hunt.  I just don't get it.  The weather has been pretty decent.  I have seen fewer deer this bow season than I have the 20 years I have been bow hunting.  I really hope it picks up soon cuz they are really gonna shut down in a few weeks when the firearm season opens.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Very slow for me also.  I think I have had 10 days hunting a good amount of the day morning to noon and evenings from about 4 to dark and have only seen deer three times as of today. Today I sat through the rain and sleet in the AM.  Finally saw a good buck at about 10:30, but out of range and just looked to be sliding into some cover to bed.  Tonight I saw a couple does in a field and had one pin me in my stand after shooting light. I finally had to spook it off to get out.   This was my best day so for seeing at least a deer both morning and evening.  It is the lowest bow season I can recall.  I did manage to get one last week and one a couple weeks ago, but those were the only deer I have seen up to today.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I going north Wed. after work till sun hope
things pick up. I saw 7 opening weekend then nothing
the next two weekends.   :pray:

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I saw some big fresh scrapes but that is all I have seen to indicate the upcoming events.

The bucks I have seen other than one little guy with a group of does tells me they are still more interested in something to eat.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »
Similar story here on the west side of the state. There's not a lack of sign, as that has been picking up, but I just think there's alot of nocturnal movement recently. I'm going out for the next couple of days and hope to see a big hairy improvement.

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Keep huntin, Its right around the corner. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Its been slow in Pa also.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Yup, it sure happens. I know you dont want to move around in your area much during the season but it might be worthwhile to go scouting others areas for a bit. Seeing the same empty spots every day can be disheartening. You cannot hunt Sundays here so I take time on that day to scout other areas if I can. Sometimes you just have to be mobile and adapt no matter how hard it is to leave your sweet spot for awhile.
David M. Conroy

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Same with me in my part of michigan. But I did see a small buck chasing a doe this morning. Normally the 1 1/2 old bucks are active at this time of the month.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Painfully sloooow here too. You're not alone. Sun up to sun down today, 25 degrees this morning, snow on the ground, didn't see one deer.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Things seem to be heating up, here in WV. Got a buck growling & chasing a doe in my video, from yesterday.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Food source = Does  Does= Bucks. Young Bucks are chasing here now in Jersey. Big Boys will follow.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I think it has been slow around me, so has the check station, but I have been seeing a few.  

I have seen VERY few rubs and no scrapes at all till I went skwerl hunting with my boy yesterday.  He found a heck of a scrape line in place on the top side of a ridge I often hunt.  I guess he is claiming dibbs on sitting there at the end of the week.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©