3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer #6 w/bonus  (Read 361 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer #6 w/bonus
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Wednesday, 10/19/2011

The forecast said “Windy”, and they weren’t joking.  The wind was trying its level best to blow me out of the tree.  The stand was bucking under me like a mad bull at a rodeo, but I was determined to ride it out.  I held on for 8 seconds, and then some.  I knew that the wind should die down close to dusk, and hoped I might catch a deer slipping through.  

At about 6:20, out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of movement.  A quick glance revealed a squirrel to my left, about 6 yards away.  He was ascending a tree that had died and fallen over at a 45 degree angle.  I watched him work his way up, and then stop.  I was up about 18 feet, and he was at about 12.  I thought, “If I had a hammerhead on the string, you’d be in trouble.”  He turned around and looked at me like he’d heard me, but didn‘t believe me.  It sort of made me mad.  

He turned his back to me, showing an absolute disrespect for my marksmanship abilities.  That really made me mad.  Right then I thought, “You ain’t too good for a TreeShark, little buddy.”  I started easing my hand up to retrieve my bow from its hanger.  In mid-reach, he turned and looked at me once again.  I looked away like I wasn’t up to anything.  He relaxed, and turned his back to me once again, this time with his tail curled up behind him, all nice and comfy.  

I managed to get my hand on my bow, and get it off the hanger.  I knew I couldn’t stand without spooking him, so I did a dry run with my bow, making sure my limbs were clear and wouldn’t strike anything if I shot from a seated position.  They wouldn’t.  I couldn’t really extend my draw with the way my body was situated, so I came back to about half-draw, and bore down on a spot center-of-mass on the rat.  I dropped the string, and the bow made a very subdued “foomp”.  

The arrow hit him exactly where I was looking, going in just deep enough to mess up my feathers.  He fell from the tree, bounced once, and quit.  The whole scenario had created no more racket than a pinecone falling to the ground.  I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and sent Dave a text letting him know his broadheads work on squirrels too.  I don’t believe I saw another squirrel for the rest of the evening.

When the light started to dim, and the wind began to lay, I went ahead and stood up in anticipation of some action.  Expecting any movement to come from either the front or right-rear of my stand, I was turned with my right shoulder leaning against the tree.  At 6:57, I heard a twig snap behind me, and then a few footsteps in the semi-damp leaves on the forest floor.  My heart immediately screamed “Deer!”, and went to pounding away.  But I have been fooled before.  I needed visual confirmation.  I started to, very slowly, glance back over my shoulder.  I scanned the area in the 12-15 yard range, but didn’t see anything.  About that time, I glimpsed movement.  The deer wasn’t at 12-15 yards, he was at 6!

The way he was pointed, he was going to pass behind me going from my left to right.  If I could get turned around in time, I’d have a wide open, broadside shot to the left-rear of my stand, at about 4 yards.  I tried to turn as fast as I could without giving him cause to look up.  I was about halfway through my rotation when he decided to start walking.  It didn’t take but a second to realize that I wasn’t going to be able to complete the turn before he got behind my tree.  I would have to shoot him off the right-rear of my stand after he passed by.  

I turned back around as quickly as possible, but before I could get all the way around, my safety rope started to bind.  I wasn’t going to have enough slack to get into position to shoot!  I started fighting with it, trying desperately to get enough slack into it so I could get around to make the shot.  At the last second, I got just enough, and got my feet into position.  

About that time, the buck hit a hole, and I grunted to stop him.  It was too windy for him to hear it, and he continued walking.  As a last resort, I made a loud, obnoxious bleat that locked him up.  Just in time too.  One more step and he would have been gone.  I hit anchor and could see, in the dim light, a small sapling about the size of your thumb directly over the kill zone.  It only appeared to be about 12-18 inches from his body.  I figured if I got a deflection, it wouldn’t be enough to matter.  I released.

I watched the orange feathers go to the mark, but not disappear into the buck.  He immediately exploded, with the arrow banging on every tree he passed.  It sounded like a game of Plinko.  I listened to him run for about 50 yards, then all was quiet.  I figured either he was down, or the arrow had pulled out.  In another couple of seconds, I once again heard that “arrow slapping” sound, but this time it remained stationary.  He was done.

After climbing down, I walked over to where he had been standing at the shot.  12 yards.  I inspected the sapling that had been blocking my shot, and found a ¼ inch cut in the side of it.  That explained the lack of penetration.  I looked for blood at the hit, and didn’t see any.  Then I looked to the left 5 feet.  Wow!  My son was hunting in another nearby branch.  I decided to give him some more experience at bloodtrailing, so I went and got him.

This is the first blood after the hit.  My son is standing next to the tree for reference.  He’s 5’5”.

Then more like this.

When we found him, he had made it about 50 yards before piling up.  There was no exit wound, but the entrance wound was big enough to stick my hand in (pictures upon request).  After clipping the tree, the arrow had entered on a bias, robbing a lot of penetration, but still there was enough to get to the offside leg.  The broadhead was bulging just under the skin.

Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer #6 w/bonus
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Great deer and shot!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Chris you are a walking commercial for those simmons! Congrats on all the deer. Thanks for taking the time to write and post pics  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
You're having quite a year!  Those broadheads certainly do a good job!  Congratulations again!  Fine pictures and story!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Nice deer Chris!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Love it!!!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Nice buck--Well Done!    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Chris,
I see you are using the glue on Tiger with an adaptor as opposed to the screw in Tiger you can get from Simmons.  Any reason that you prefer the glue on with an adaptor Tiger?

Thanks,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
OUTSTANDING   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
#6 WOW you shooting all those Georgian deer yourself.  :notworthy:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Aw, now you're just showin' off ...

Just kidding.  Big congrats.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
Holy cow,another one!  :notworthy:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:44:00 AM »
Very nice!  :thumbsup:

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Nice deer, congrats!   :thumbsup:

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Save some for me, will ya?  I'll bet you drank all the water at the water fountain at school, too!

Great story!  Great shooting!

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Confidence in your equipment. I like it, good shootin'.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Dang they sure put a hole in them
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©