3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wensel woodsman luck  (Read 530 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wensel woodsman luck
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
In your similar thread from 2010,you said:
"Last night I got a good kill with one. deer went about 50 yds. and fell dead. just comparing the last 3 seasons with these broadhead"

In this one,you say:
"I switched to wensel woodsman broadheads about 4 years ago and have had nothing but bad results."

I'm confused.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Have to agree with what has been said above especially with the 1/2 mile track.  If you double lung a deer with a field point it wont go a 1/2 mile.  

Been piling up venison, pork and bear with WW's since before thay were publicly available and as long as I do my job they have never let me down.  

For the record I have never done anything to the tips until they have shot or missed a few critters and needed tuning up.  Personally I like the needle point but everyone has an opinion about it.  

I have killed deer with about every COC type head out there and if I only had one shot that had to count there would be a Woodsman on the business wnd of my arrow for any game animal.

All that said, I think "equipment confidence" is paramount to hunting success.  If you think your bow, arrows, glove/tab, heads wont get the job done while sitting in the woods you are cutting your odds in half at least.  Go with the heads that bring you confidence - there are dozens to choose from.  If you don't want them anymore and want to improve your broadhead karma I will happily take them off your hands? Seriously

Bob Urban

Offline aquafang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I am not blaming the head i guess.  I just have not had the luck i did with 2 blade.  I shoot trad bows @ or around 45#.  Do you think 2 blades were giving me better penetration?  I have had several one lungers but never the string of bad luck i've had with the woodsmans.  I think it is all a coincidence and it is starting to get to my head.  I use to just draw shoot and kill.  Now I'm thinking about every step as it happens.  And all of you know what happens when we think things out.  I'll finish out the season with them and see what happens.
Trad only!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
It's possible.I'm sure some guys with 45# bows get pass throughs with the WW heads but 2 blades could give you better penetration.Other things like arrow weight and not so perfect arrow flight can reduce penetration and a multiple blade head may just be pointing it out.

Good luck with it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
the woodsman was designed specifically for "lighter weight" trad bows.  it's been successfully used throughout all of north america on game as large as moose and buffalo - terry green used a ww to kill  a one ton buff - it's been to africa and back with tons of meat and horns in tow.  

i use standard woodsmans pretty much exclusively and have had good success on a few hogs with it.  it makes a mighty good hole, and lots blood.  but the shooter still needs to hit a right spot.

so ... if the broadhead is killing sharp, then it ain't a problem with the broadhead.  

physical things happen as we get older.  might need to regroup, rethink yer shooting, and best practice some more.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I have no complaints with the WW head either.
I killed a caribou, whitetail buck and doe with the SAME HEAD! They sharpen fairly easy and fly like a field point for me.
As said already,shot placement and sharp broadhead is everything.........Good Luck
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
In kill and cow elk and trukey , deer , pig with the same ww head . None of the trials were over 50 yd and 3 of them was kill with my 53@28 hill longbow with wood arrows that weight in at 580 gr And the pig was kill with a boblee
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I Have been using WW's for 3 years now, Elites this year. I have had no problems. Good bloodtrails, great arrow flight, good penetration, about all you could ask for in a broadhead,
bolong

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
oh yeah, that's another good point about ww's - their near 3:1 helps them to fly really well.  at least for me.  and with a three blade, i don't care about blade orientation on the arrow as i would with twin blade.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
My last 2 hogs where shot with WW ...no problem!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline MISSINGINOHIO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Just shot a doe last week with ww she went 20 yards love these heads.
3 pc silvertip recurve 58"53@27
3 Pc Silvertip recurve 58"51@27

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
My wensels have had the opposite effect for me. Unfortunately, I have had two poor shots on deer that I thought were going to be awful tracking jobs. Thankfully the ww's put both of them down in a short amount of time and the animals were recovered. I trust it's effectiveness.

Mh

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 04:04:00 AM »
Be careful no to "over-think".  You shouldn't be breaking down a shot sequence when you're shooting at game.  Let muscle memory and instinct take over--each a result of good practice.  I'd recommend doing some serious stump shooting and shoot whatever you have the most confidence in!  Your equipment should be an extension of yourself.
Good luck brother!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
Certainly something more than the broadhead going on.  I've used WW for years with nothing but great results when I do my part.  As well as some good results even when I don't do my part.  They are an excellent head - no question about that.
Other factors must be coming into play.  Arrow tuning, shot placement, sharpness... Something else is happening to give you the results you have been getting.
That being said, a two blade will do just fine as well, and if it gives you more confidence, go for it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »
I will suggest that you do the following:

Check your arrow flight

film yourself shooting from different angles
(find the errors)

fix the errors

take a walk-back shooting a paper-plate

find your comfort zone

Shooting a bow is something that is in constant change:
your brain is always trying to make repeatedly operations more effectively and might make some shortcuts that you never is aware of before you try to look after them.
(the worst cases of this is called target panic and believe me then you will be aware of them)
I`m not saying that you have the TP but only that you should check your shooting sequence for errors or shortcuts.
You know a small torque or a drop or lift of bow-arm or a to aggressive release might give you bad arrow-flight and hitting wrong places.

So in short as a good friend of mine would have said it:
Back to the drawing board !
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
I am with Curt on this one Shot placement and a sharp head are key!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Perhaps you are taking up the blood trail too fast. Even a deer hit in a good place can run a looonnnggg way before dying. Made that mistake one time with a lung hit on a nice buck.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
No complaints from me.....from bunnies to bison.

Your problem is not the Bhead.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
You may want to look somewhere else in your setup instead of bashing a long time proven broadhead.

P.S. Just a thought, didnt mean this to sound to harsh.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©