3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: creature comforts  (Read 230 times)

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
creature comforts
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
During this time of year a lot of us like to spend all day in the tree.  I was wondering what items you take to make the day go by a little easier.  I like a thermos of hot tea, a few snacks and chem hand warmers for those cold PA. mornings.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: creature comforts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I like a small digital camera so I can get some shots without shooting. Hate it when I forget it.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I have a bible and a pair of reading glasses in my pack.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
I rarely chew tobacco, but a big wad of molasses tasting Redman feels kinda good while sitting in a stand for hours. I can't stand the fine cut stuff.
 Any type of jerky also, but that has to be before the chew!!!! I dont chew enough to get any in my stomach and not vomit.
Then I hope for birds, squirrels and critters for entertainment.
David M. Conroy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
IBUPROFEN!!!

Last couple years, those long sits become a trial with back/leg/hip pain.

Was hoping to see if the lamenectomy surgery last spring helped with that, but now it appears I might not get to find out... tore up a hamstring muscle battling a pair of rubber knee high, ankle-fit rubber boots with a pair of sock I know (but forgot) are like velcro inside those boots!  Cold muscles, long day of sitting in planes and airports, cars and then stand and I pulled too hard and tore it up!

Likely will not get out the rest of the season and surely not in a tree stand...never be able to stand on a Rapid Rail long enough to put one up!   :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Some snacks , thermos of hot tea and a pee bottle     :jumper:

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I second that.  I love my small Nissan thermos with hot tea and honey.  Man does it change my mood when I just don't think I can stand the cold one more minute!

Also I bought a pair of Lamilite overboots from
Wiggy's of Alaska.  I hike in, ford a stream, and climb my stands in my pack boots.  When I'm safely harnessed in I put on my overboots and enjoy warm feet.  You can add hand warmers to them if the temps are below 0 and still stay warm.  

Jeff

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Doc, what an unfortunate situation !!!  Who would have thought that putting your boots on would cripple you...  

This aging stuff is the pits ..

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
PatB
They went on inconspicously enough, but after getting sweated, then frizzed, the one just would NOT come off...

Trying to twist and pull is what done me in... that cold hamstring just went BOING...like an old rubber band!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Thermos, snack, hand and foot warmers, book, camera, binocs, grunt, rattlers
Lon Scott

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
A keep a couple Cliff or Larabars for snacks water bottle and usually read a book on my iphone, or browse tradgang. Gonna try to knock out reading entire Bible this yr too. Reading via my phone is nice small and less movement. Finger swipe turns page. Need to pick up some handwarmers. Phone doubles for camera too.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Its very Heartwarming that so many have The Bible either with them, or on an "Electronic Doo-Hickey", to Read and pass the time!!  :thumbsup:  
  Makes the Lord Smile on your Hunt I believe!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Ok I know I'll get flack for this but for long sits or for the hour I like to get in before light an iPod with only 1 earbud in allows time to pass a bit faster.  You hear everything but keeps my adult ADD at bay.  May watch an occasional tv show on it too but I won't fully admit to that here that's only when it's lint so the light from the device doesn't give you away.  For some reason I can't sit like I used to with nothing think the craziness of everyday life make it harder to sit for 8 hours without any stimulus.  For half day sits it's not an issue but a bit of background music still is enjoyable in one ear

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Ebooks for my iPhone, and a camelback full of tea.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Don't feel bad about the iPod. Last year during Dow season, I watched an entire season of breaking bad on Netflix. I found that if I took an hour off hunting. I could stay in the stand longer.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Things to pass the time on stand?  8 x 26 binoculars, a digital camera, two blunts.  

Most important is warm clothes.  I have a little pouch I wear on my belt that is lined with shearling fleece and keeps my tab hand ready to go and warm.  Good wool fingerless gloves and a wool glommet on my bow hand.

Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, reminissing about hunts past and pleasant sits on stand.  Listening to the woods and fields.  The "klonk" of a hoof on the loose rocks in the nearby stream.  Occasional coyote to watch for.  Keeping an eye out for a twitch of an ear or the movement of a leg.

Who has time for a book?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I just take a head full of daydreams...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Wool clothing. Nothing will kill the enjoyment of a hunt faster than trying to stay warm.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
"IBUPROFEN!!!"

Right there with ya Doc!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
I agree with Stumpkiller but my 12 year old will text me some.. so thats alright!

Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©