3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka Gear  (Read 322 times)

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
Sitka Gear
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Are these clothes worth the money they are asking for? They looks very nice. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I can't tell you if they are worth the money. I own a large selection of it and really like it. I have worn Sleeping Indian wool for over 15 years and like this stuff better. The big differece to me is how light wieght it is. You can layer and stay as warm or cool as you need.

Good luck.

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
I use it and like it a lot.  Like Lechwe said it is very light and layers very well.  I have been soaking wet in the stuff and then perfectly dry within an hour of the sun coming out.  Make sure you try it on before you buy any.  It is sized on the small side.  I am thin and it took me awhile to get used to the athletic fit.  Most of my other hunting clothes were loose and baggy.  I was concerned about its durability, but I predominatly still hunt through pretty thick stuff.  It has held up well (this is my first season with it).  If I was mainly a tree stand hunter it might be on the cool side unless you bought some of their thicker items.  All in all great stuff, I only wish it was lower priced!

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Used it in ak for a sheep hunt. I liked it a lot. Feels very light so u have to layer itnfor the cold but it's probably the best synthetic clothing for hunters. It's ,ade kore like mountaineering stuff which you dfinately see in the price tag

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I like kuiu better than sitka, higher quality stuff, less marketing hype, and kuiu was started by one of the founders of sitka so he knows his stuff. The kuiu pattern works really well too, very similar to asat and predator.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
after wearing it for 3 weeks while elk hunting, I love it. I relized when deer season started, and I was wearing cotton pants in warm weather just how much I liked the sitka pants. Much cooler in hot weather, and layers well. I don't wear it now tht the weather is colder as I have wool pants I prefer for stand hunting, but for elk hunting, and hunting in the earlier season, it rocks,
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
sitka gear search 1  
   sitka gear search 2

Here are a couple of older threads about sitka gear.  There are quite a few more if you search.  Steve O is our resident expert on here so maybe he will see your post and respond.  i have it and i like it.  i also have some of the kuiu and i like it just as much.  i use it mostly in south georgia and alabama where the winters don't get too cold (occasionally in the high 20's up to about 105) and it has done me well.  i think it is well worth the money.
Good luck to you...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    Somebody say my name?

Sitka Gear is designed to work as a layering SYSTEM.  Most guys that don't like it or bad mouth it have bought a piece or two and expect it to magically to work miracles and make the other stuff they have been suffering with work now from -20 to 80...

Sitka started with clothing for active mountain hunting.  Guys spend a bunch of money on the stuff so they naturally wanted to get the most out of it and wore it in their tree stands..and got cold.  They were using the stuff for something it was NOT designed to do.

BUT, what I do like about the guys at Sitka is they listen to their customers.  They designed another line of clothing for the whitetail hunter.  The Kelvin makes any of the other layers warm and the Fanatic or Incinerator will keep anybody warm in any cold.

I have used Sitka from Alaska to Texas and from 100 degrees down to zero and sea level to 14,000 feet above.  If you want to tell me what and where you are hunting, I could probably give you an idea of what pieces you would need to be comfortable.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I have been using Sitka Gear for two years hunting from tree stands here in Ky.  I have two more pieces (base T with hood and hand muff) being shipped today. The bibs are my favorite. I have a stratus jacket and the down-filled jacket as well.

I like the pattern (Forest), the fit, the durability, and the design.  Pockets are deep, in the correct places and very secure.

In early season I wear the core Ts as outerwear.

Offline Stick n' String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Sitka is fantastic stuff. I agree wholeheartedly with Steve O's observations; you need to purchase an entire outfit for whatever application you require. Sitting still in a tree stand and never hunting on foot or requiring layers as the day heats or cools around you? Go with wool or whatever makes you happy. This is gear that is designed to work. Used correctly, their system "works" better than anything else out there.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I hunt in South Florida and it is primary hot 8-10 months out of the year. The humidity kills us down here. By the time you hike to your hunting location you are soak and wet. I hunt mostly hogs and whitetail. I do mostly my hunting in ground blind or stalking. I have a 5 day trip in December around Tallahassee (North Florida). This area will get super cold and probably dip in the low 40's or maybe lower. Steve O, what set up do you suggest without break the bank.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
 sitka gear search 1  
   sitka gear search 2

Here are a couple of older threads about sitka gear.  There are quite a few more if you search.  Steve O is our resident expert on here so maybe he will see your post and respond.  i have it and i like it.  i also have some of the kuiu and i like it just as much.  i use it mostly in south georgia and alabama where the winters don't get too cold (occasionally in the high 20's up to about 105) and it has done me well.  i think it is well worth the money.
Good luck to you...
Thanks for the links. Great reading info.

Offline SecondSeason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I have been a Patogonia fan for years for all my other outdoor needs.  What has pissed me off the most has been the fact that nothing was avaiable for hunting that was similar to Patogucchi.

spendy but long lasting.  I wore my new set up this year pixilated forest color, had a cow stare me down for 15 minutes [alright 30 seconds] at 10 yards before she put her head down to eat more grass.  She never saw me.  this gear doesn't mean you can be up wind of the critters but it does help you stay dry, warm and looks like they will last a long time.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Richard,

I would say if I lived in south Florida, I would wear Core tops and bottoms with Ascent pants and Jacket.  The core keeps you cool when active or hot better than anything I have ever tried.  The Ascent pants and jacket dry out amazingly fast just walking along after getting them soaking wet.  That would probably take care of things for you 80% of the time.   I'd pick up a set of Traverse top and bottoms for another layer of flexibility for cooler temps.  

One item I would NEVER be without is the Kelvin vest.  It is incredibly warm and light as a feather.

You could top all that off with 90% pants and jacket and you would be covered for anything Florida could dish out.

What sold me on Sitka Gear was on a Bighorn Sheep hunt 4 years ago.  I was hunting a ram pretty much every day that called for a 2500' vertical climb starting at 10,000 feet.  At one point during the hunt, I noticed while I was sweating profusely, I was never overheated or uncomfortable during or after my climb.  I started adding layers each day just to see what would happen.  No change...sweating buckets on the way up and 10 minutes after stopping, it was like I had never climbed.  Dry and comfy.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Steve O,  for your multiple days trip how many sets of top core do you bring? Can you reuse the top core over again? Does the clothes retain body order since you sweat heavily?

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Good stuff if you like synthetic. I realy like there raine gear! Light and well made. My self, I like wool better and I'm not a fan of camo camo...I like plaid beter!

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Over here in Australia I have the Ascent top and bottoms as well as the Downpour top and bottom rain gear. Am really impressed with it.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I have lots of the Sitka Gear. It is great stuff. For the conditions it was designed to be worn in, the Kuiu line is superior, but it is more limited in the applications due to its focus primarily on active mountain hunting. I will keep and wear both brands!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Sitka gear is pretty pricey but I really like it and almost wear it exclusively so I think it is worth the extra $$$.  The best time to buy Sitka gear is around mid-December through January.  Most stores and on-line dealers will reduce prices by 20+% to clear inventory.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I bought several pieces, wasnt crazy about the quality, saw it was made in china like evey thing else these days, got soaked with the downpour jacket on,  sold it all and bought quality wool....really happy with my decision but i am sure i am in the minority here
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©