3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binoculars and whitetails  (Read 678 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Binoculars and whitetails
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I have been reading a lot of Whitetail threads as of late dealing with stand hunting. The latest on "Creature Comforts" prompted me to start this thread.

In several of the threads, posters have commented that binoculars serve no purpose as they hunt hunt thick stuff with not much visibility. In my mind, stands with limited visibility is when binoculars are the most valuable!

I use my binoculars for passing time on slow days  in the stand. I dissect each piece of cover a little at a time. Many times I pick up movement that I could never have seen with the naked eye. May be a squirrel or a turkey, but I have picked out quite a few deer as well. Spotting deer deep in the woods or a thicket gives me the opportunity to tickle the antlers, snort/wheeze, or hit the grunt or can call to try to divert them to my stand.

Several years ago, a good friend wanted to start deer hunting. I set him up in a spot on my hunting property where I KNEW he'd see deer movement and at least have a chance to shoot a doe. He hunted the first weekend in November and told me he'd seen no deer. I was positioned to the north of his stand and glassed several deer moving in his direction and was baffled that none had made it to where he would at least seen them!?

I asked him if he had used his binoculars and he said he hadn't and there was no reason to as it was "too thick" to see anything. I asked him to humor me and give glassing a shot. AT LEAST glass the area before making any movement-getting a sandwich, drink, standing, setting down, relieving himself. The following weekend he counted 13 deer over a morning and afternoon on Saturday and on Sunday he shot a 6x4 that dressed 203#! He watched the buck for over 15 minutes and admitted that if he hadn't used the glasses he would never have seen the deer until it was right on top of him.....assuming he didn't spook the deer by fidgeting around getting a drink!

I just had 2 long fruitless sets this weekend that were made more tolerable by glassing and I am pretty sure I didn't spook any deer or miss seeing any off in the distance.....at least I'm pretty sure I didn't!   :rolleyes:

I first tried this after hearing Uncle Barry and Uncle Gene talk about using binoculars at a seminar they gave at the Cloverdale Traditional Shoot. They seem to know a little about Whitails so I figured I'd give it a try!   :smileystooges:    

Hunt hard, hunt safe>>>------>Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binoculars and whitetails
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
I feel naked in the woods without my bInos, and can't agree more with what your saying!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Got a pair for christmas last year. Carried them the first time the other day and was in my tree glassing and found a nice rub in some brush that I would have never saw without the binos! I'm sold on them now
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
I think binoculars are very valuable, thick cover or open terrain. Using them in the thick stuff will consistently let you see deer or other critters that you might otherwise have missed seeing. And as you say, they can add to your enjoyment on slow days. It isn't likely you would see me in the woods without them during hunting season.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Binoculars always.  Once you begin to use them on a regular basis, you will never understand how you ever did without them.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Some really good points Mike.I can't be without them,open country or thick.When I was in high school,back in the '60's I bummed a little pair of opera type glasses from Mom and I used those when I still hunted thick,Eastern woods.They were very low power but they helped me pick out deer ears,noses,parts of lower legs long before I had a chance to blunder on and spook them.

I even carry them during the summer when hiking.I like to slip along,just like in hunting season and if I see a bear or other animal,I just hold up and observe till it moves on then I do.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Binoculars always.  Once you begin to use them on a regular basis, you will never understand how you ever did without them.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Cannot agree more and the only problem I have is: why did it take so long for me to start carrying a set?  

a few things I have discovered over the past 10 years or so with binos in the whitetail woods:

- better glass is better glass and although you do not need to break the bank to get good glass if you go cheap you will regret it.

- for my application in the midwest less is best and I have a set of 10x26 that are perfect

- there are trade-offs but I like the lightest glass I can carry that stil has enough power and quality to meet my needs.  The latest pair I am using barely registers hanging from my shoulders.

- Get a shoulder harness - they are cheap and even if they were not, you will not regret it.  Not even a little bit.

- the first time you ID a shooter buck in low light that you would not otherwise have known even had antlers you will forget whatever you paid for the glass

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Great thread Mike!    :clapper:  

I can never figure guys out that don't use bino's, just doesn't make any sense to me    :dunno:  

Never leave home without them!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I always have mine with me whenever I go in the woods.  I have a pair of leica 8x32s that in my opinion are absolutely perfect for whitetailing.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I always keep a pair of binoculars in my pack . They can be very helpfull at times , darker areas , low lighting etc.     :archer2:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
I have some cheaper Bushnell 8X25 H20s which I like a lot, except for one thing: they fog up on the OUTSIDE of the pupil lenses when I put them up to my eyes when it's the least bit cold outside. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I have the same Leica's Jon....awesome!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by TOEJAMMER:
Plus 1000! I've seen many deer and even a bear I would have never seen without them. I feel naked without mine.

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
I agree completely, I picked a nice 9 pt bedded down yesterday, the rack was all I could see. Never would have seen him without my bino's, never got close enough for a shot though...

I am with ishoot4thrills, outside of the pupils fog up fast when its cold outside, I've got monarch 10x42's and am always wiping the fog off.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Doug. . .  are you wearing a face net or mask while doing this ?
ChuckC

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Yes sir Mike, feel naked without 'em  :D  

Multi tool use, for sure. Magnifying glass, fire starter, too. And when still hunting to a stand, can check to see if the party has already started!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I never hunt without my binos
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I would rather hunt without my bow than without my binos. Besides spotting deer, checking out any movement, they have come in very handy to help me recover a couple deer that had a less than desirable hit and very poor blood.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
I have a small pair of Bushnell Legend 8 x 26 Waterproof (they really are) that I use as much in thick cover as I do open woods.  When I see a glimpse of back or leg I can concentrate on the magnified and narrow depth in focus and "peel" through the thick tangle to make out details of the deer.  They are small and light enough they don't bother me.  I have a back bungee to hold them to my chest out of the way when leaning, walking or drawing.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©