3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arizona Deer questions.  (Read 113 times)

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
Arizona Deer questions.
« on: October 30, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I am somewhat frustrated today.  Here in AZ you are only allowed to shoot bucks.  I have been scouting when I get time and I have only located 2 bucks this year.  Too bad they are in an area I cant hunt.  I have located at least 20-25 does that have steady habits, but I cant shoot them.  There is no doe season period.  

So I am out hunting this morning and see 2 does and a fawn.  I watch them intently even though I know I cant shoot them.  I was on a hill and one of the does come my way and I start the stalk.  I get with in 30 yards and give up because I didnt want to spook her.  

On my way up the hill again I start asking my self questions and maybe one of you can help answer them.  

Why does Arizona have a antlered only deer hunting season?  

What is this doing to the population of the deer?

Am I the only one who doesn't care if it has a hood ornament?

I live on base and they have a bigger herd of deer BUT the season is aug19-sep12 I think.  Basically a 2-3 week season when it 100 degrees out.  What chaps my ass is that they have a solid month of rifle season and 190 tags were sold (once again all bucks no does).  Now I know not everyone will fill their tag but I have to wait until Jan 1 to start hunting on base again but after rifle season demolishes the population.  

Sorry for the ranting but all I want is to take a couse deer while I live here and I don't care if it is a does.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arizona Deer questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I hunted AZ for Coues deer a couple years ago. I saw plenty bucks, both Coues and mulies.

You need does for future bucks. The bucks are there, Coues deer are one of the toughest to find and hunt. Spend hours and hours behind a GOOD spotting scope. I have found bedded Coues bucks laying down flat. They are sneaky deer.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arizona Deer questions.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Years ago we had it that you could shoot doe in some uints ,then the dept did a count on deer herds . The uints that doe where being shot the doe , buck count was off so they stop doe seaon . Game and fish say 25 doe to 1 buck is what they won't  ?
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©