3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tennessee Hog hunting regulation changes  (Read 354 times)

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
Tennessee Hog hunting regulation changes
« on: October 30, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
There is no longer any hog hunting allowed in tn except on a few wma's during deer season. Land owners can get a exemption permit  and name ten people on the permit .

Offline knobbymag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tennessee Hog hunting regulation changes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Redpepper49,
     You are missinformed. A person can kill hogs year around just like coyotes with what ever weapon is legal for big game or small game at the time. I'm not sure if you are trying to start problems but, it sure looks like it.

Offline DeathBringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I don't think he is trying to start anything because that's how the new regulations read.  There is no longer any hog hunting season in TN.  Landowners can shoot hogs at any time and can get permits to bait, trap, and shoot at night.

On the Cherokee WMA hogs may be taken in conjunction with the deer season, but I can't find any reg that allows hog hunting outside those seasons.

The reasoning behind ending the season is that the hunting season itself was causing the hogs to spread as hunters illegally transported wild hogs and released them in new areas to establish huntable populations.

The state is going to focus on trapping hogs instead of hunting as trapping has proved to be more effective at controlling and reducing population.
It ain't the bow, it's the indian behind it.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
a little respect please just trying to inform the uninformed

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Deathbringer hit the nail on the head, as I understand it.

A good friend of mine who works for TWRA told me the reasoning behind the new law is they are trying to stop people from catching, transporting, then releasing hogs so they can "have something to hunt year round".  Their hope is this will cut down on that.  

I just want them gone so whatever works!!  Hogs are fun to hunt but they're something you want to have to go somewhere else to hunt, not your own back yard!!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Waittaminnit....

Their plan is to get rid of hogs by NOT hunting them?

And you pay these people?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline featherhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  ......

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Jeff,

You know as well as I do that law will change in just a couple of years. Not hunting and trapping will only increase the numbers. Hogs get smart to traps real quick.

Troy

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
redpepper49...thank you for the heads-up.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Jeff,

I believe several states are joining that bandwagon.  The problem is not the hunting, it is the folks who are intentionally stocking the things in areas that they are not (yet) so they have their own private hunting area with hogs.  The states figure if it is illegal to hunt them now, folks won't go to the trouble to stock them.

Evidentally the problem is perceived as being "that bad".

ChuckC

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Yeah, right. These folks are already breaking the law by live trapping and relocating them. I'm sure they will suddenly have a new found respect for our legal system and miraculously start obeying the new laws.

Offline knobbymag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
If I am wrong then I apologize to you Redpepper. You sound all too much like the folks who are stocking the hogs then trying to turn the table on the Wildlife Agency by saying don't come to Tennessee to hunt hogs because THEY don't want you killing them. Well THEY do want all of them killed and actually the regs are much much more liberal on how they can be killed.  They are no longer classified as a big game animal in Tennessee so they need not be checked in. For those from outside Tennessee, some hog hunters who were disgruntled by not fully reading the regs put spikes and other tire destroying things all over one of the Wildlife Management Areas and then complained that the Agency doesn't want people killing hogs and being on the said area. The problem came from extremely poor wording from some one in Nashville.

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
If your not on the "List", you won't be allowed into the hog hunting party.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I won't even bother disagreeing with the notion that people are hauling in hogs and turning them loose to have something to hunt.

Hogs are prolific to the point that they will strip food source bare if you give them the chance.  The only option for controlling them is to get rid of them.  Eliminate them with extreme prejudice.

Closing a season on hogs is shortsighted and, IMHO, irresponsible.  Hogs should be open to any method of take, year round.  It's the only way you have any chance at all of keeping up with their rate of reproduction.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
knobbymag pm sent

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Looks to me like they are putting a stop to landowners charging folks to come kill the hogs… we got that problem here in Texas nowadays… Everyone is fussing about how the hogs are ruining their places and when you offer to come kill some for them… they whip out their business card… Farmer Bob’s Hog hunts… $250 per hog Trophy fee $500 for anything over 250 pounds..  

I refuse to pay someone to help them out with their problem..  Back before folks got so darn greedy I had plenty of places to hunt and made my rounds, feeding my family and a bunch of others through the food banks and churches…
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »
Couldn't agree more Mike.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Interesting thread: Won't imagine I'll get to TN to hunt, but just reading and mulling, it would seem that private land owners CAN hunt, trap or otherwise dispose of hogs.

Also thought I read that some folks are being accused of stockign their private lands with hogs to hunt?

If that is correct, then they might be considered the land owner? If so, then they can continue to proliferate the spread of private land released hogs and hunt them themselves?

Only thing I know of hogs is what some friends in TX told me that a sow will birth 7 piglets and raise 8!   :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
When I left AL hogs were mainly in the southern part of the state. Just a couple of weeks ago while talking to my mom, she told me they had started seeing afew hogs on in their area of north AL. Not sure if these are released animals or just migrated. I still say the state government is going at it the wrong way by stopping hunting. If they would spend the $$$ they plan to use with trapping and put it towards doing a better job of catching the ones that are releasing the hogs thier money would be better spent.

Troy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©