3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Never been hunting before..  (Read 211 times)

Offline DeadeyeDiaz

• Trad Bowhunter
Never been hunting before..
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Realize I'd love to learn and go hunting, but unfortunately I don't have anybody I know that does. It's something I definitely plan to do come hell or high water, but I'd prefer to have someone wiser and more experienced to follow and learn from. Anyone willing to take me under their wing or perhaps be a bit of a mentor?

I don't know what would be best for a first time novice or where would be the best. Also don't think it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask for any info that could be useful in any way. I don't have much knowledge on the topic and could use all the help I can get.

Got some knowledge from your time hunting? Come on in and help an aspiring hunter learn something useful!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Never been hunting before..
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
http://www.dixiebowmen.org/

Give a shout out to the above org. I'm sure someone could help.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Welcome. Best of luck. Look in the archives under any particular heading or interest you care to view. PLenty of longtime hunters here will help if/when you get specific. Infinite number of variables from places & animals you hunt to weapons used correctly for a good clean quick ethical kill. The plan anyway which often results in additional expertise the least of which is tracking game. Good site, good folks, no primma donnas, no BS!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline DeadeyeDiaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely give them a shot.

That's what I've been up, just not sure what would be a good idea for my first try. I was leaning more towards turkey than deer but I honestly don't know what would or wouldn't be a good idea. Got any input to which would be a better choice?

Offline DeadeyeDiaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Holy hell, thanks for the links!
Greatly appreciated!

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I don't know what you're experience/profiency is with a bow.
1- (even though I just posted a miss on video  :banghead: )
2- I honestly would start off with squirrels, something that's fun & low pressure. Check these out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqagzoZuD1c&feature=related
3- While you're developing your shooting skill, scout your areas for places to hunt deer. Turkeys would be good too, cause you can be hidden in a blind. The shots will probably be pretty close. You have alot of opportunity, all the above is just food for thought.

Offline DeadeyeDiaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I am good enough with my bows to keep 8/10 shots within the lungs and heart areas on a paper deer at around 20 yards. One of the reasons why I figured I might be ready was from that, but shooting at a range with a paper deer perfectly showing exposing these shots vs a real one is a different ballgame alltogether.

I'm all for starting out small, but I'm assuming I can't just go out to the big parks and start going after squirrels. Any places in particular that I should look for in terms of hunting areas or should I just go with my original plan and check with the game and wildlife people when I go for my license?

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
They will be a big resource for you. Here's a great idea, film this journey of you preparing to take your first animal with traditional equipment. I guarantee it will be a hit!  :thumbsup:  Get ya a Youtube page & start filming!

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
this thread helped me, maybe it'll help you some as well. read up on all you can

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=096995#000000

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by DeadeyeDiaz:
I am good enough with my bows to keep 8/10 shots within the lungs and heart areas on a paper deer at around 20 yards. One of the reasons why I figured I might be ready was from that, but shooting at a range with a paper deer perfectly showing exposing these shots vs a real one is a different ballgame alltogether.

I'm all for starting out small, but I'm assuming I can't just go out to the big parks and start going after squirrels. Any places in particular that I should look for in terms of hunting areas or should I just go with my original plan and check with the game and wildlife people when I go for my license?
I'm sure there are some swamps up in Va to hunt. My Dad lived in Norfolk/Acredale in the late 50s and talks of his Dismal adventures occasionally.

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/Hunting.cfm?ID=51580  

And if your 20 yard groups are as described limit your range to 15 for higher probability of a clean hit.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Here is a link to your state's Fish and Game and to your state’s Wildlife Management Areas.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/

Off the top of my head, I would suggest that you buy a compass (learn how to use it), get maps to some of your WMA and get out in the field and do some stump shooting and small game hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
You first better check your states requirements in terms of hunter safety training. In Maryland it is mandatory as well as many other states. First things first.

Offline DeadeyeDiaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Maps, compass', navigating and the like I have no issue with. Not new to the outdoors in the slightest bit  ;)  just new to the hunt.

I'm looking into a local club.

Thanks for the link to your old thread, that's definitely helpful.

If I can get a decent camera for cheap on craigslist I'm all for documenting the journey. Would be helpful to anyone else in my position.

I'm gonna keep working on my form and consistency. Also get some practice in with broadheads and blunts  :p

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
Try to find other hunters at archery clubs or on here who will take you out. Turkeys are experts at humiliating you every time and you may want to wait on those. Rabbits, hogs, and deer are easier than turkeys IMO.
Killing animals is actually a small part of hunting, skinning, game care,  tracking, woodsmanship, map and compass, hunter safety etc are key skills you need to master along with first arrow proficiency.
Some of the best advice I ever got is shoot one arrow only every hour at varying distances.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
First contact VA dept of game.  As a first time hunter you will most likely have to take a hunter education course before you can get a Hunting Lic.
 http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©