3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The perfect tree  (Read 136 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
The perfect tree
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I need to shoot some does off the farm to get some numbers in check. I have been watching several mature does and farms routinely walk the edge of a ridge. The problem is finding a tree with cover now the leaves are gone. I have a large poplar that is hugging a white pine. I love these setups and can hunt the tree with a NW wind. The problem is that the tree is huge. I can probably get my arms around a little over half of it. I can put a chain hang on it if I add a link and a bunch of chain. I really never used a ladder stand and I worry about setting a ladder stand now they have been traveling that same edge. The shaggy suit might work if I had a blow down close but they are always on alert. That why the pine with popular tree offers me some added confidence. If I tried my one of my climbers, I think I would get picked off.  What does everyone use on big trees?
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The perfect tree
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Ghillie suits are gonna be more and more popular I think because they really work.  With a really large tree, I am thinking a ladder stand would be the safest, and maybe the easiest to put up.

Can you judiciously trim the pine and sit in that ?
ChuckC

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
pop up blind?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
the pop up blind will definately spook them and make them change their route.
Chuck the pine tree is too small. They might notice the ladder stand but I would willing to try one if it was extremely quiet.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
I use ladder stands on big trees and then put my portable just off the top of the ladder (I don't like using ladder stands to hunt/shoot from).  Pick a windy/rainy day to put the stand up. The deer will be hanging tight and the rain will help wash scent away.  Up at our Shrewhaven Lodge camp in Michigans Upper Peninsula, several of the guys have very good luck using aspen trees next to pine trees for stands. Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
I do this quit a bit. What is better than adding chain is if you get some long ratchet straps. The thicker strap ones are best. One or two for the stand and don't forget one for your safety harness.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Ray, that is why I think this poplar is so good. The pine tree hungs the poplar creating great cover. I also usually change stands during a rainy day.
TJ, I will go to lowes and check out the long ratchet straps and use some drill in tree steps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©