3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My "new" MOAB (& my other "new" MOAB pg2)  (Read 524 times)

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My "new" MOAB (& my other "new" MOAB pg2)
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Great looking bow and shes a shooter!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Very nice!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Id say its a keeper.  :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Very nice bow.  There are plenty of plain TS bows out there, but Jim can make knockouts as well.  His top of the line tricked out bows shine as bright as anything out there as far as I am concerned.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Beautiful!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Wow!! What a looker.
James Kerr

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I think I'm finally done buying/selling/trading bows, seriously this time.  I found another great MOAB a little heavier than my last one and man does it shoot nice.  This should be the last "new Thunderstick" post I make for awhile (unless I find a nice 2 piece MOAB or a 56" Mag).  Other than that I'm done, I think.

I found a nice MOAB for sale that's right in the middle of the weight range I like.  The seller and I agreed on a price and it was soon on its way to my house.  I missed the original delivery from the USPS and then had one of those "Oh no" moments when I called to have it redelivered.  When I called and asked to have the packaged redelivered, the clerks response was, "the box is damaged and we know that it's a bow."    :(   This is how it showed up at my door the next day.   :banghead:  

It was insured but thankfully I didn't see any damage to the bow.  I don't know where along the route the box fell apart, but they did a nice job taking care of it until it got to my door.  Kudos to the USPS.  I don't think it was the USPS's fault.  The tape just came off where the shipper taped two boxes together.  The top half fell off somewhere along the way leaving about 12" of the bow exposed.

I looked it over real closely, but didn't find any damage that would make the bow unsafe to shoot.  The bow has been used and hunted with, so it shows some battle scars but nothing major.  I reserved the string and fired off a few test arrows.  :archer2:  .  That's when I knew this is the bow I want to hunt with from now on.  It also came with one of the nicest strings I've seen and found out later it was made by bearbowman (a TG sponser).  It's the weight I like and it shoots awesome (much like the rest of my Thundersticks). It's 60", 57#@28.  I shot a 29.75" 2117 with a 200grn point.  Total arrow weight is right around 600.  Fast and quiet.

Some say traditional archery is a journey.  I restarted mine two years ago, and believe this leg of the journey is now complete.  I've gone through a ton of bows and have found a few nice ones that I really love.  Thanks to the mods and members here at TG where I've found a lot of great info (and several bows on the classifieds).  The two on top are both 58" Mags, and the two on the bottom are 60" MOABs.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Wow !!!! now that's 4 of a kind...4 beauties.   :thumbsup:  
What's the shortest MOAB you've heard of ?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I just got a new to me 58" Mag and it is fast becoming my favorite.  IN fact it looks a lot like the second bow from the top.  It's not the fastest LB I have ever shot, but with the exception of ONE whip, it just might be the quietest!!!!  It's definitely going to be a KILLA!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Thanks.  I've heard of one 58" MOAB.  Bowhunter4life had it for awhile.  The riser was Osage (it looked great in the pics).  He said it reminded him alot of the MAG.  I'd love to try one someday, but there don't seem to be many of them around.  Jim lists them on his website as 60-62.  Here's a link to his post with the pictures:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077428;p=1

If anyone knows where that 58" Osage MOAB is, I'd like to know and get some more info about it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Jim is a true gentleman and makes a great bow.

I have tried almost(maybe) all of the Thundersticks and really got along well with all of them except his recurve.

That's a nice collection you have going.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
RM81 you have the Thunderstick bug.They are my favorite bows made.Im getting back on the list for another one now, takedown model.Nice collection   :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I am contemplating a TD also. Just trying to decide 56" or 58".  I'll be shooting the 58" for a little while to decide if I want shorter.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Nice looking bows!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I do have a 58" MOAB...it was made for Chris Suttees, as is written on the bow.  It's the only 58" MOAB I've seen, and untill now the only one I've heard of.  I love it, just wonderin' if there's more, or any shorter.  I've had this one,and a 62", they both shot the same.  Great bows.....

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
It's easy to catch the bug when they outshoot bows that cost twice as much.  I'm all about value for the price, and these are at the top of the list.  I'd really like to shoot a 58" MOAB to see the difference between that and the 60".  I'd also like to try a 56" Mag.  I may order one of those in a TD sometime in the future, but I'd like to shoot one first.

joekeith,
If you ever want to get rid of that bow, send me an email first.  What woods are in it?  Have any pics?

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Ben, you'll like that takedown. MOAB's are like potato chips, you can never stop with just one.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Matt,

I don't really have any pics of it.  I think the limbs are Tamo Ash on the back, and I think the rest is covered in Yew.  It's not real fancy or showy, just kinda plain, but good lookin' plain. :saywhat:

Most of the MOABs I've seen haven't been flashy, but they all have shot where ya looked and have been quiet.  I first got hooked on 'em after shootin' DVSHunter's.  It wasn't much of a looker, but she sure was a shooter.  That's what's important, ain't it?      :archer2:

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Jim can build 'em plain and fucntional like this one, or

As fancy as you like. And they all shoot just as nice.

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Jim builds great bows, let my Mag go this spring, dumbest thing I've done in a while.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©