3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No more Camo for me.  (Read 255 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
No more Camo for me.
« on: October 31, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Last winter I picked up an Asbell Wool Pullover in Evening Stand Brown. I had three Doe's within 20 yards looking right through me for two hours this morning in a little bit of cat and mouse between us. Never did get a solid shot opportunity but it was close a good three times. Even with the wind in her favor, one Doe was really looking all over for me. Big Mama had no I idea where exactly I was. Boy was that fun. Only got one chance with the wind in my favor but she came at me head on, no shot there.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No more Camo for me.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
It's the natural fibers. They don't shine (reflect light) like synthetic crap does.
Got wood? - Tom

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Works for me.  I got a lot of great camo from someone who was switching exclusively to wool.  

I like wool, but I love free.    :biglaugh:  

When it's REALLY cold, I'm in layered wool.  When it's merely chilly or a bit nippy I like synthetics, often with a wool sweater under a fleece top.

I'va also got some wool camo.    :dunno:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I have it on my list!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I just wear what is seasonably appropriate weather wise. I had a standoff with a doe wearing medium light green treebark pants and a darker green plaid flannel shirt...she lost the standoff. You can't hardly beat the stuff for hunting in my opinion.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm going camo free also..I love wool !!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Plaids only here for the last 4 years or so. Cotton for early season, and good ole wool for the cold times. It makes a great camo. I had a couple big bull elk look right through me yesterday, then went back feeding. If I could only do something about the swirling winds!  :banghead:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I've been converting to wool and plaids slowly over the past year but weather here in Ok dictates less during early season. We had a couple of cool mornings and the wool made the decision for me. Hope it gets colder soon.
Never wait too long!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
I have 1 Swanndri plaid pullover and really want to try one from the Asbells...That evening stand green and brown really has me wanting one...You can't beat the price ..

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I've worn plaids before...

Wearing natural tone plaids to blend in = camo   ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Went strictly plaids late last season and think it is the only way to go.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I agree! I'm slowly building my plaid, wool hunting wardrobe.

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
How does it work for other game, like Turkeys? I would like to get into some traditional wool hunting gear, but I don't know if I trust it to the sharp eyes of those gobblers.
~Brock

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
went wool 2  yrs ago. still wear my org. trebark pants from the 80`s. have 2 pull overs from asbells and a king of the mtn jacket.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Good for you Pete. Wools are where it's at. Exciting story.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Agree with Guru....plaid is an attempt at camo.  Now if you forgo the plaid and wear solids (like my solid green Asbell mack) you're getting away from the camo mentality.  :rolleyes:    :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
so, is plaid more effective than say, Predator or Natural Gear? Or is wool(whatever color/pattern) more effective than all other fabrics?

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Plaid is trad, but I'm not so sure even solid colored wool won't work as well as or probably better than synthetics.

The trouble is finding things with the features I want in wool and not having to refinance my house to buy it. Shirts, jackets, or coats are fairly easy to find in places like Goodwill or the online auction sites.

Pants, especially bibs, which I prefer, are another story. I do have a pair of wool bibs, but they lack zippered legs, which makes them impossible to slip on/off over boots. So, I'm generally stuck with synthetics on the bottom, and yes, they are camo. But they are warm, cost under $60, and go on over my boots, so until someone comes up with some wool that will come close to that, I'll have to wear camo.

Yesterday, I was wearing my brown and grey plaid, Goodwill store, wool jacket, camo fleece "Radar O'Reilly" cap, Cabelas' camo bibs, no face mask or paint, and I had two doe fawns look up at me and keep right on feeding on nettles. Both under two yards from my stand. A third was 30-40 yards downwind. She was nervous because she could smell me, but she couldn't locate me since I wasn't moving. It was also about 9:00 a.m., so most of the scent was wafting up. I used no scent control! I did shower in the morning using generic Walmart unscented soap ($3.23 for a 32 oz bottle). They stayed around for about 20 minutes before they fed on out of site. I could have easily killed two of the three. Last night I had a buck about 40 yards away look at me once or twice, walk downwind, try to find the buck that snort/wheezed at him, then put is nose to the ground and head down a well used trail. Never busted me.

The point is unless they catch you moving, what you wear makes very little difference. Wear what you like, the deer probably won't care all that much. If I am warm and comfortable, I fidget less and see more deer before they see me. That is the key for me.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I think it has to do with the pattern on the plaid I was using doesn't blob up like so called camo does. I wish I had a video camera with me as the lead doe was standing 30 yards away peering into the woods looking for me. Her nose said I was in the area but she couldn't find me. She kept walking parallel to me stopping every 3 feet and peering in the woods. I believe the only reason she walked away was she was frustrated and scared to move any closer. She never "saw" me and I was on the ground with only a small tree next to me.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
i don't think the camo/plaid or plain camo makes a difference. it's matter of personal preference. what i do know makes it is the sheen or hard looking surfaces of the material. hard synthetics that reflects light are not good. soft brushed material absorbs light. nice to hunt with plaids i know. great job on using it and getting close!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©