3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got shut down  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Got shut down
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Can't believe it. I just had a visit from the city police. They had a complaint that I was shooting a bow and arrow in the city limits. We have a little over an acre on a hillside. Our backyard is completely surrounded by a retaining wall higher than my head. I checked with the ordnance enforcement office and there is a city ordnance against discharging any kind of weapon - BB gun, bow, slingshot, you name it. I can't even legally shoot my air pistol in my basement. Ask me if I'm upset! It was so nice to take a break when working on the check book or some other tedious task and walk out the back door and shoot a dozen arrows.

The officer was very pleasant about it. We discussed my new bow, the new bow he is planning to get and his upcoming moose hunt in Canada, but bottom line is I gotta take my hobby elsewhere. I can shoot at our gun  club anytime, and the good news is that I can set up at any reasonable (or unresonable) distance, but it's a 20 minute drive from here. Call me TOTALLY bummed out.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got shut down
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Unbelieveable!

I've typed 3 differnet rsponses and none even come close to describing my anger, sadness and trepidation.

The king is dead, long live the King.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  It's a bit annoying that someone would report you rather than simply come over and talk to you about it first.

I should probably look into my city ordinance on this as I like to take some shots in the backyard a few times a week.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I know who reported me. It's our neighbor lives on the hill above us. Believe it or not, his complaint was the excessive noise of my field points hitting my bag target. He works nights and it bothers him when he's trying to sleep. 75 yds away with the windows closed! I said the same thing; "Why in the world didn't you ring my doorbell instead of the dispatch office. I would have changed to a different type of target". Turns out he's anti-hunting and was just wanting to make things difficult for a hunter.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Yep I had that happen in the golf course community that I lived in.  Totally enclosed backyard with a 6 ft rockwall and a 6 ft fence on top.  Neighbor complained and I got shotdown.

Same guy stands on his front yard and hits golfballs across the street to his buddy.

I sold the house and moved to the country.

You might petition the city counsel for a waiver.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Bummer.

Out town council just about did the same thing. I was unable to attend the meeting, but I emailed them a memo (I'll forward it to you.) And then I called around and did some lobbying. It worked!!!!

They excluded bow and arrow from the list of weapons.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
man thats just wrong sorry to here
i think i might get shut down also but so far im good to go

anti hunters are just ##$%^@(^%*#!)))$^&#??
thats all i can type about this

Offline NWA Bowhntrx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
That really stinks!
John 14:6

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks PaddyMac. It' worth a try. Maybe they can ammend it to read "unless a proper backstop is erected to prevent arrows from leaving the area", or something like that. Looking forward to seeing your memo.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
They can keep you from shooting in your basement?  Time for cardboard on the windows!

That truly sucks.  Motivation to move out to the sticks for sure.  On our road there are only two families who don't actively hunt and shoot in their yards, and of those one is neutral (just not a hunter/shooter) and I've gotten the husband of the last hold outs thinking he needs a .22 rifle; maybe even a bow.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Sad news indeed. I've been shooting in a small section of woods, against a hill, that separates 2 marinas where I live.

I'm very discrete, plus it's the end of the marina where the boats not being attended to are, but I'm constantly expecting someone to complain. This is a very liberal area and I wouldn't put it past someone to do it for spite, assuming I also hunt.

I was recently directed to a range only about 10 minutes away by NJLOCO that I didn't know about, so I've been going there instead. I can practice properly there too.

Sorry about your loss. Maybe you could set-up something in the basement for form work between trips to the range. I can get about 6 feet in my boat and am considering working on my floating anchor and release in here this winter, when I get pretty much shut down for several months.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I can't believe in Greenville they have that ordinance!?!?!. Where I work the ordinance states what yours does but they added....."or at an approved range".....Try talking to the Police Chief and ask him or her to inspect your target and the area where you shoot and  maybe he or she would approve it. If that does not work try going to a city council meeting and plead your case there. You might find a sympathetic ear and get wordage added that would alllow you to shoot.  Good Luck!!!

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Same here in nassau county long island. No firing a bow in yard.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
The chief of police proposed a new weapons ordinance here and he picked one up some boilerplate off of some national web site that included everything from nunchuks to throwing stars to arrows, etc. I got them to leave bows and arrows off the list.

Most towns already have a reckless endangerment provision.

So what I said was don't fix something that isn't broken.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
You might just check if the high school has archery in PE class.  Ours does and the city has an ordinance against fire arms and would like to say archery but they have told me until such time as they get a complaint on me it's a non issue.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I had to take a double take on where you live, before reading Michigan. I thought for sure you must be living here in the Soviet state of NJ, this I could understand, but Michigan ! I feel for you brother !

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Got your memo PaddyMac. I like it. I will do some editing to address an existing ordnance and also follow up on bluesflb's suggestion. They grant exceptions to all kinds of codes here in Greenville. Maybe I can get some sort of exception for a properly constructed, approved site.

Thanks guys.

Ron
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Most likely a neighbor tipped them off.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Don't you love anti hunters that want to impose their views on everybody else? It's too bad that 1. Your city council wrote the ordinance to include bows, and 2. Your neighbor is a jerk.
I just came in from shooting in my back yard and read your post, and gave thanks that so far, my town council has better things to do than enact ordinances like yours. Here's hoping that you will be able to get the ordinance amended.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I think the FOR SALE sign would be up at my place before nightfall.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©