3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got shut down  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got shut down
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Richard, I hope you have a ball shooting it. I decided to test my outer limits and just got a 55#. I can shoot it fairly well, and I will work up to where I can shoot it comfortably, but the lighter bows are still a lot more fun for me. Figured if I continued to shoot a couple of times a day, every day, it wouldn't take long. Now I have to plan a trip to the range. Forget a shooting glove, or decide I want to try a different weight point - forget it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Guess I'm the odd man out here.  I'm not implying that you're reckless, but I've seen plenty of people that are.  I have no idea how the property is set up, but if you truely live in a city setting with houses on both sides and behind you, then I have no problems with the law banning shooting in your yard.

I have two small children that are outside almost everyday.  If one of them gets shot or anything lands remotely near them while they're in my yard playing, I would most likely beat you to within an inch of life.  There are some things you don't fool around with and my kids' safety is one of them.

Some things are made for the country, and firing weapons is one of them.  (Banning shooting in your own basement is rediculous though)  No one can guarantee every single shot they take will hit where they aim.  Accidents happen and if I didn't feel that it's safe for my kids to play in my own yard, I would have no problems calling you out on it or notifying the cops.

Just giving another perspective here.  It sucks that you can't shoot in your yard, but you made the choice to live in the city.  If there's nothing behind your property, then they should allow you to shoot in a safe direction.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
RM81, technically we are in the city limits. We live on a lake, 2/3 of which is in the township and our 1/3 in the city. Our house is built on a steep hillside with lakefront (and a street) in front of the house. The rest of the 1.2 acres is up a hill in back. The back yard is excavated back into the hillside and at ground level with the first floor. There is a head-high retaining wall around the 45' x 20' area. The only way I could get an arrow out of the back yard would be to shoot it up in the air. I'm ex-Detroit police, from a family of policemen. The law says no shooting in the city limits. I wasn't aware of it, but probably could have guessed. The officer who responded to the complain is an acquaintance of mine and was most sympathetic. We talked bow hunting for a good 1/2 hour. I fully understand the purpose of the ordnance. If I lived on a flat city lot and had nothing but some skinny bushes to stop an errant arrow, I wouldn't be shooting there. While technically in the city, we are as remote from a typical "city' setting as you can get. I fully intend to pursue getting a variance to the ordinance by demonstrating that I do, in fact, have a safe range to shoot. Don't know if I'll be successful, but I'm sure going to try. Meantime, I will respect the neighbor's right to have the law enforced. I just hope he falls off his roof and I can ask him if he'd like some help. There would, of course, be a condition to his receiving my help   :p
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
I see what your saying.  As long as you aren't putting others in danger, I would fight it and try to get a variance too.  Sometimes people post pictures of their "backyard shooting ranges", and I see them shooting at 5' vinyl fences with swingsets on the other side and it really ticks me off.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
No reason to be upset to learn we're actually expected to abide by the laws of our communities.

And I've seen plenty of folks touch-off compound bows, airguns, real guns and even a full auto battle rifle into the air by accident.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I bought my house 2 years ago.  I work for County government, so I did some research and specifically chose a township where discharging a bow is legal.  I feel your pain; if a few citizens were to push through a change in the law, I'd be shooting only in my basement.

ADDED:  I also have a very safe shooting background.  Even an errant arrow would have a very hard hard time reaching anything it could cause injury to.  I've talked with my neighbors, and they, knowing that I exercise great caution and care, have told me that they have no problem with my backyard shooting.

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Whenever the wind was blowing his direction, I'd fire the grill up for a cook out.  Ever smell limburger cheese over charcoal? Surely there isn't an ordinance against grilling cheese.

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
The likely root of the problem is not the city gov, but instead lawyers.  I imagine the city listens to risk analysts that advise them that they have to take these measures to control their insurance costs, avoid potential lawsuits, etc. In the unlikely event that someone's kid got shot, the city gov would have egg on it's face if it had not passed such an ordinance banning the discharge of a weapon.  Remember, something is now always somebody's fault!  Maybe don't be as hard on the city council and major.

Offline Ballgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I feel for you, I recently bought my house and one of the main reasons I bought it was because on the 20ft concrete sound-barrier wall that I back up to. (I live next to a freeway) I just hung some old conveyor belt behind my 3D target to save $ on broken arrows from hitting the wall.

If someone made me stop shooting in my backyard, I'd be heartbroken!!

I probably shoot 50 arrows 6 days a week.

Good luck on your variance.
Palmer Classic 60in, 58lbs@28in
Beman MFX Classics 500s,
75gr insert, 125 gr Phatheads,
180 FPS @26in DL

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Hey guys. What do you say we cut this off for a while. I stopped by the library and got a copy of the city ordnance. Says (somewhat shortened up) bows and arrows are potentially dangerous. To protect life and limb they are not allowed to be shot in the city. Exceptions are at ranges certified by the police chief to be safe enough to provide adequate protection that an arrow will not enter a neighboring yard. Protection can be earthen or man made. I have a request in right now that the Chief visit my backyard range and, if it appears safe, certify it for me. I'll update when I get an answer. There's usually a simple solution to problems without getting into an "I'll get even with you contest". More to follow.
Ron
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Alright! Sounds like you may be back in business. I still like the leaf blower and hammer and anvil idea though. LOL!  Keep us posted and good luck.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Here are some tips for shooting in city limits, and keeping on the down-low.

1) Quiet target (avoid plastic bag targets since they can be quite loud, I prefer foam blocks or softer 3D like a Rhinehart).  I have tested a bunch find the quietest targets.  Believe it or not, the most silent target is a burlap sack filled with old clothes packed loosely.  Problem is arrows drooping though.

2) Use a generous backstop (neighbors will see you are responble as well - may minimize their concern).  A larger size net can help as well. I have seen arrows really bounce up on occasion; rare, but it does happen.

3) Shoot a quiet bow.  I put 2 sets of silencers on my recurve (can only hear some noise as string comes off tab, then a light thud as hits target). Heavier arrows may help noise as well.

4) Avoid shooting when other will see.  Most people have a routine (avoid lunch time if they come home for lunch, etc.). Likewise, weekends when kids are outside is a bad shooting time.

5) Limit number of arrows shot.  I work off my back deck and find that shooting to simulate hunting (1 arrow every 30-45 min) has greatly improved accuracy.  Also, you can do close-range work on form inside.  If you bow is tuned, it will shoot with minimal wobble at 10-12 yds.  A round 36-48" grass matt target should catch even the worst shot (almost) at close range.

6) Block the neighbor's view.  Plant cover trees (Magnolia are very good) and stagger them.  This also blocks the neighbor's view. If you are quiet, and they can't see you there will be little chance of them reporting you.

7) If neighbors come outside, be respectful and don't shoot.

8) Be very discreet.  Don't look like a full-blown archery range in teh backyard.  Ideas: keep a block, straw matt, or 3D target in a storage shed, and take out for practice (then put the target up).  I also have plans for a 6 ft wide x 8" high arrow curtain that will totally block the neighbor's view across the 1acre thick woodlot.  Now that Fall is here, the leaf cover will thin out. After each session, I will simply unhang the curtain.

I shoot into about an acre of thick woods (with home on other side). And I have 2 elderly neighbors on each side who don't come out much.  I tried to pick the safest and most conceiled position for my target.

You can tell I put some thought into this.  I just want to do what I can to avoid losing the pleasure of shooting a few, frequently in the backyard.  Hope this helps someone else do the same.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
There ya go, Ron.    :thumbsup:  

When I was lobbying and got bows and arrows specifically excluded from our new weapons ordinance I explained that our new chief is a bowhunting and well qualified to determine if a range is or is not safe under reckless endangerment language in another ordinance.

I also emphasized archery safety. If you Google "archery safety record" you can turn up reams of stats on how safe it is.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
In my town as long as you dont shoot in parks or across trails/roads you are good, but if they look at state regs, then it states 50 ft from rd or neighbors without permission.

I have one neighbor that will eventually call the police. I will ask them to help me look it up in the village ordinance when they visit me.

When she does call, I will get even and start calling police on her for every little thing. I have been extremely patient so far. It doenst hurt that she is nuts and calls the police on Military planes making too much noise. Then got mad when they told her they couldn't tell the base to stop flying planes into and out of active duty.

There's one in every neighborhood.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Here in St. Louis this summer a lady was hit in the jaw by an arrow while eating breakfast.  The guy shooting was over a 100 yds away and had no backstop to his target.  She was not hurt real bad but her grandson was with her. I will never be able to shoot in my backyard again because it happened in my municipality.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
rain, that must have been one heylluva bow to hit some old gal in the jaw.....

didn't see that article on News of the Weird, either.

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problem with the neighbor.  The moral high-road for your neighbor would have been to talk with you about his concerns, unfortunately, he has an agenda with people like us. Based on your responses, we see that you're a reasonable person who won't retaliate. Technically your neighbor is right...unfortunately he chose a poor way to show it and that horse has left the barn.  What if you met with your local councilman, police chief and/or mayor over a cup of coffee some morning to talk about this?  Show them you're a reasonable person and find out if there isn't a way to change the ordinance. These guys were elected and/or paid to work for their constituents - not beat them down.   Good luck.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problem with the neighbor.  The moral high-road for your neighbor would have been to talk with you about his concerns, unfortunately, he has an agenda with people like us. Based on your responses, we see that you're a reasonable person who won't retaliate. Technically your neighbor is right...unfortunately he chose a poor way to show it and that horse has left the barn.  What if you met with your local councilman, police chief and/or mayor over a cup of coffee some morning to talk about this?  Show them you're a reasonable person and find out if there isn't a way to change the ordinance. These guys were elected and/or paid to work for their constituents - not beat them down.   Good luck.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
He was shooting a compound at a little target with no backstop.  He was shooting 45 minutes later when the police showed up.  He was arrested on 2 felony charges.  Have'nt heard anymore about the case since the arrest.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Apparently ne never went looking for that errant arrow...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©