3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new bow brace height issues.  (Read 168 times)

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
new bow brace height issues.
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Got a new to me bow. Osage Orange with rattle snake skin backing. The string on it seems wrong on it. The knock on it seems well above the shelf either way its put on. Believe its 60# at 28 but I can't get the brace height past 3 to 3 1/2 inches. only thing I can come up with is its the wrong string. Twisting the string any tighter seems like it would be too much. Came with bamboo arrows with 60# on it and the name of the bowyer, S. Carson Jones. How to get the right brace height? Determine if this is the right string. I'll post pics.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new bow brace height issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Anyone around you from whom you could borrow a likely string and work from there? I would think the string would be in the neighborhood of 3" less than the bow length. Even if you find one and it braces at 8 1/2", you could then measure that string and order one 1" shorter. Or if there is an archery shop nearby, they could probably fit you up with one. Even if it isn't the string you would like to have, you would then have a benchmark for the cost of $8 or $9. I have a recurve that is supposed to be 60", but it really takes a 57" string.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Wow hmmm.....the current string is pretty taught and about an inch or so shorter than the bow. I don't have prob with my 50# bow as far as drawing but I can't imagine this thing with a shorter string as far drawing it. Then again the brace height is so short...it must need a shorter string. Local shop is pretty much compound only.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
What is the length of the bow?

For a general rule of thumb: If the bow is a recurve, the string is usually 4" shorter than the length of the bow. If the bow is a longbow, the string is usually 3" shorter than the length of the bow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Yeah, that string's a couple of inches too short. You could make up, or have made, a string with a loop on one end only. Use a timber hitch (bowyer's knot) on the other. That way you can change the string length if need be.

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
Length of bow is 60 1/4" tip to tip. Knock to knock its 59". String is 55 1/2 inside loop to inside loop. Brace height from front of riser is 4 1/4". Can't be right.....unless I get arrows with 3"  or less fletching.

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
Ahhhh I forget how to post pics.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
take the string and hook it in the lower string notch... then pull it taunt wrapping it along the belly side both of the limbs and tell us how much you have left between the end of the string and the upper string notch. it should be about 3 inches on both recurve bows and long bows. Most of the older recurve's that has a 4 inch shorter string were braced between 8"-9".

even a long bow shouldn't brace any lower than 6" or you'll be biting your wrist....

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
Oh the wrist has been bitten HARD!!!!! somehow I didn't notice due to the sheer awe of my arrow hitting the Target like a freight train but she bites....will measure tomorrow. My uneducated mind knows something is amiss just can't finger it.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I think before you do anything I would call the bowyer and ask him this question.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
How to post pictures using photobucket  

See if this will help you with the pictures.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©