3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick my hunting spot.  (Read 262 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pick my hunting spot.
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
I don't know how this will go but I would like to try.

A. Very small corner of corn field. Our own property. Within walking distance but would drive part way. Good sized oak with a ladder stand for a wind out a the southerly direction but can set-up on the ground for winds out of the north. Fence crossing where the fence is about knee high. Tracks and droppings but not a bunch. 15 acre woodlot nearby with a 5 acre field they would have to cross first. A big buck was shot in the woodlot a few years ago and they said he passed through the area to get to them. It was a morning hunt.

B. Neighbors. Would walk about 500 yds. I made a ground blind of limbs on top of a thorn bush for a wind out of the north. Near a well used trail that crosses a creek/ditch. I prefer it for an am hunt cause thier kids are in school otherwise they are all over the place. I can set-up for a south wind also. I could drive to the north side of thier property. The dog would dark his head off at me though. I've seen the most deer there but that's been a few years ago.

C. A farm that we rent. Just had the soybeans taken off. A large oak sits out from the fence row about 40 yds and about 50 yds from a woodlot that had some fresh tracks under it the other day. No stand in it though. I would have to set-up in the fence row.

D. Another farm that we rent. Soybeans being taken off now. I have seen a few deer there. Always alot of tracks. But the owner lets everyone who asks hunt there and I don't know who they are. Drove by this am after work and nobody was there today.

Do you have any opinions?

Thanks,
Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pick my hunting spot.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
This is kind of fun.

I'm always leery of people I don't know, so I wouldn't go with D until I got to know who was going to be there and when.

I like close - it generally means more hunting time.
"A" is close and sounds like a funnel.  Would you say it is?

"B" sounds pretty good too.  I'd probably let the wind decide between the two.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm not sure if it would be considered a funnel. I was just thinking it would be cool to get some topos posted. I'm don't know if I could pull that off.

I can set up at either place no matter what the wind direction. At "B" I may have to stand the whole time. But I do have a Torges seat that I might find an appropriate tree for.

Our prevaling wind is from the SW.

I hunt in the evening most of the time. I did get out on opening morning and I went to "B". I was nice and early and I had a perfect wind direction but saw nothing.

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you're finding this interesting.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Link

Use the full URL below to link to the viewer image.

http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx=627415&cy=4486569&proj=32616&mpp=2.5&pic=img&prov=dg19&stac=1952&ovrl=-1&drwl=-1  

If this works this would be a link to see spot "A".
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Where the last "r" is in Terraserver (mid, left one) is where my stand is. The 15 acre woodlot is to the right.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Fencerows are very good this time of year. I would put my time in on "C". Good luck.

Hap

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I'm actually thinking about "D" for tonight. My husband will be there cutting beans. I think that will keep others (hunters) away. And it might make the deer move toward me. The time I saw the most deer while hunting in Indiana was when he was harvesting corn nearby.

There so much to consider when trying to make a decision like this it is hard to cover it all in this way. It's still kinda fun though. I miss having someone to discuss the options with and this is helping. Thank you!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
Which one did you choose?

See anything?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I was thinking D if you were Hunting Mid week. Let us know what you chose and why. Then let's see the hero pic!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Go with your gut feeling.....your first choices are the best most times. Have fun and have a good hunt, your lucky to have the places you do to hunt with some deer around!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I like A or C myself. I hunt a small 10 or less acre woods with a fence row running on the North side that connects two large stands of timber and it is always good this time of year. The bucks are cruising and using the fence rows and tree rows as cover to move from one area to another. I have filled my tag several times using small wood lots and tree rows surrounded by bean and corn fields this time of year.
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
A satellite image of all of these places would be helpful. Here is a link to a better satellite image website called Flash Earth.  http://www.flashearth.com/  This site will allow you to zoom in exactly to the area that you are referring to.

As far as “D” goes, I would avoid that spot because your husband will be harvesting the beans. If it were corn I would have a different opinion. With the soybeans you can see what is in the field, but when corn is in the field there is a good chance that deer are living in the corn.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Well I chose "D" for last nights hunt. My husband had seen a small 6pt. the night before along the edge of the cover that has a small creek. I sat in that cover a little south of where he saw him with a small cypress on one side and honeysuckle the other side and behind me. I was nearly out of shooting light when he came through, I think it was him. It was a fairly big bodied dear. Kinda walked like a buck if that makes sense. But he was about a hundred yds out side my confident shooting range.  :) . I tried grunts and bleats but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I really like this place and I agree that through the week would be better than when gun season comes in. Also if I can get someone to go with me. Next year when we can use an x-bow during bow season I may not hunt it at all. It would be nice if we could buy this place. My husband saw 5-6 deer himself last night.

Thanks for all your help.

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Ron, I am blessed but I don't see so much anymore. The north side of the neighbors use to be a good spot when thier boys were younger. Now they run all over the place and have even run the deer out of atleast one of thier bedding areas.

It's cool they have a place to act like wild indians and if I let them know I'm going to be there they would not play there that night but I hate to ask it. It is only a few months out of the year and they have alot of other places to play. I need to ask if they have a night of the week that has activities to keep them busy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »

This was my hide.

I was on the right side of this "lane". There was a small creek behind me and a long narrow "island" of trees on the left of this photo.

A view from the hide. He came through about halfway between me and the trees in front of me.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Glad that you saw him...now he just needs to come closer!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Gatekeeper, that link is really cool.

If you go to Lat. 40.491231, Long. -85.55137 the crosshair is where I sat last night. I should have been farther N probably. My husband was to the NE of me.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I have the Lat. and Long. for each area if you would like to see them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©