3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool v/s Fleece  (Read 577 times)

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool v/s Fleece
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Lets here your opinions? Pro's? Con's?  A couple of years ago I bought a pants jacket set of windceptor fleece in natgear camo and really like it.  I think the light tones and material make it blend in well just about anywhere and it is super quit on those cold, crisp, still mornings.  I almost went with some wool camo but it didn't feel as nice on my skin.  Here in KY when it gets down in the 30's I where the fleece with no longjons. It don't bother me at all, and I thought the wool would itch.  All that being said I typically buy camo based on material that makes me comfortable based on the weather (poly. or leafy wear for summer, wool, fleece,etc for winter), and price.
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool v/s Fleece
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
:campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I too got the nat gear windceptor jacket and pants and they are the bomb. I wear some minus33 basepayers underneath and I am set for the most part. Add a neck gaitor and a kidney belt with heat packets and I am really set.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Fleece is pretty useless if it gets wet.  It's also dangerous around a campfire.  Wool stays warm no matter what, although I agree it's not what I want on bare skin.  I can't imagine having any of my outer layers against bare skin, though.  That's not what they are for.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
the funny thing is I have been just as cold as I've ever been wearing wool. Just the truth. If folk think they are going to put on a wool sweater and a wool jacket and they are going to just be roasting they got another thing coming, especially when the winds starts cutting you.

yes, it may have great wicking properties, not stink as bad, and not reflect light, but tons warmer than all the other things, not so.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
I disagree in polarfleece being usless if wet.  Mine sheds water as well as wool and I have hunted in the rain with it twice so far this year.  

But that said, wool is my favorite when it is cold.  

I use polarfleece over a wool sweater this time of year and poly bibs.  When it gets cold I go wool bibs and wool on top with wool as layers and a poly wind-blocker vest for my torso.  

PS - Fleece is wool still on the sheep.      :D      Polarfleece is synthetic fibers.  

Spencer - my string silencer consultant.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I like spencer...he looks honest...as in he'd honestly boot your butt over the fence!

I've read 2 Shorts adventures trapped inside a burning plywood shack and how wool saved his hide where poly would have melted him into oblivion.

I still find poly fleece (made from recycled 2 liter soda bottles I'm told) has kept me warm wet or dry...but, not the least bit in the slightest breeze.  

guess everthing depends on how it was woven. I've had wool that required a down payment on me that I immediately gave back...wind went thru like a picket fence!!

I have a Cabella's poly "windproof" jacket that is so warm, you can't wear it unless it's zero and blowing like 60!

I've ALWAYS read that wool will retain heat when wet... I've been soaked in wool... in MT actually when lived there and I was pretty danged cold...sought me a hillside outa the breeze, built me a stump pine tree fire and dried all my clothes or feared I'd have hypo thermed...

It all confuses the bejabbers outa me...

So, Stumpy, does Spencer answer emails cause I got questions... obviously!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I agree that fleece does do fairly well in wet weather. It tends to shed water in light rain but once it gets soaked it's very wet. I will ad that another advantage to the fleece is that you can almost shake it dry by giving a few stiff shakes.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Yea I agree, try shaking out your wool pants when they are soaked then try shaking out the fleece.  Wool can take a long time to get dry in a camping situation whereas the fleece will dry rather nicely.  Fleece definately needs a wind barrier though.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
What about actual weight difference. I have an old wool set and I swear it weighs 40 pounds.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Wool outer wear requires less overall bulk than the synthetics do, {talking about maintaining core body temps}, especially if you are not using "any" type of water/wind barrier, which depreciates the breathability factor too much for me. With wool I just adjust my long johns for the conditions. With synthetics I have to layer up quite a bit more than when I have all wool on.
 Sleeping Indian Wool "Shirt," Wool Pant, and a Wool hat, proper longjohns for conditions, presto, good from +75F to -20F, if the wind is howling and I'm Sitting, I'll put on the Wool vest with the wind liner, haven't needed it yet.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I have found that in dry weather both work well, in slightly wet weather both are good; when it starts to rain heavily only wool is going to stand up and keep you comfy. Your experience could be different.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
I love wool - not only for hunting but everyday.  For hunting, I wear both wool & polarfleece... sometimes even layered together.  Whatever combination I think will work best for any given day.

I've also got some of that Wooltimate stuff that Cabela's sells (wool/fleece blend with windproof lining)... I have to admit, that stuff is really warm.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kapellmeister:

I've also got some of that Wooltimate stuff that Cabela's sells (wool/fleece blend with windproof lining)... I have to admit, that stuff is really warm.
Me too. I wish they made bibs in that stuff!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
most fleece i have worn sheds water good plus it light and drys fast! wool dont. packs easily. you can compress it. big deals if you pack you stuff in long ways. only down side ther is to fleece is over time it pills. and if its windy and its not windbreaker the air goes rite through it. now it does wool too but not as bad. best bang for your buck on wool is ll bean. all i wear. for the price it can't be beat. camo too
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
So, Stumpy, does Spencer answer emails cause I got questions... obviously!   :)  
He reads 'em but he's "Baaaaaaa"d about answering them.

I have to get a more recent image.  He's getting some bad a$$ horns (four - he's a Jacob's).  I tell THE ADMIRAL I'm going to use him for an exotic sheep bowhunt.  Then She says stuff the forum won't print.

He and his girls (Daisy & Lilly) also keep me in socks and I think he's made a deal with Santa for me to get a sweater.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Fleece is pretty useless if it gets wet.  It's also dangerous around a campfire.  Wool stays warm no matter what, although I agree it's not what I want on bare skin.  I can't imagine having any of my outer layers against bare skin, though.  That's not what they are for.
Yup, wool will still keep you warm when wet.

Millions of sheep can't be wrong.  :D  

I honestly think no man made fabric is better than wool.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I have Cabe**s Legacy Fleece with windshear. It has the least bulk/weight to warmth ratio I have ever used. It is water resistant and you can get it in waterproof but it probably wouldn't be bowhunting quiet. To be fair I haven't tried wool. Never felt a need to. Being from Alabama it don't get below 10 deg. very often and the mean temp is around 35deg. The Legacy fleece jacket and pants only cost around $140.00. I have NEVER been cold in it. I used two weights of longjohns acording to the weather. I use the ECWS thermals anytime the weather is below 35 deg. and lighter weight longjohns for warmer temps.  I'm not sure how well it would work in northern climates but for central Alabama it cant be beat and the price point is good too.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
My problem with fleece, is that its polyester.  And polyester doesn't breath, therefore I sweat like crazy.

Polyester came out when I was a kid, and it was marketed as a miracle fabric; it doesn't need to be ironed, or taken to the dry cleaners.

Then everybody figured out that it was like wearing a plastic bag.  That was the end of Leisure Suits!!

Maybe somethings wrong with me, but I don't see how anybody can stand polyester, no matter how its woven.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I dont know what Cab**as does with their fleece but the garments do breath good. I know what u mean about the leisure suits. Embarrasingly I had one.
Read up on it and it's the winshear that makes the garment breath. Like I said I have never worn wool and am only telling what I have found about this particular garment!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©