3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool v/s Fleece  (Read 578 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool v/s Fleece
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I use and love fleece with windstopper when it is dry out.  Once the rain hits the fleece gets put away and the wool comes out for the long wet west coast winter.  Wet fleece is completely useless, partially wet fleece is completely useless.  Wet wool on the other hand still helps keep you warm.  If your going to get wet there is really no decisions to be made,  wool for sure.  If it is dry then fleece is a viable option.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I do not have any experience wearing wool, but I have worn fleece a lot.  My back ground with it is with the military and its issued items.  I worked on a flight line and we flew year round.  I also had a motorcycle at the time and it was my only mode of transportation.  

What I learned early on is that you have to layer fleece correctly.  When I had fleece early on in my career I wore it as a stand alone item and I froze my but off.  It, like many others have said, does not cut wind.  I have since changed how I layer.  

All my gear was issued and I liked it so much I purchased my own items.  I liked it that much.  So for my first layer is a shirt that is almost spandex.  It is sort of like the under armor stuff.  Its form the F.R.O.G. line of USMC clothing.  Its 75% modacrylic 10% Spandex 10% polyester and 5% X-Static.  It was designed to be flame retardant.   The next layer is my favorite layer.  We call it waffle shirt.  It is also part of the F.R.O.G. line.  I do no know what its made of but it is awesome.  This is the most versatile part of my system.  I use it from 50 deg down to 30 deg with a jacket.  It keeps me warm!  The next layer is fleece.  I have 2 fleeces.  One is thin and one is thick.  They both are polartec.  The thin one I use when deer hunting because it is less bulky.  The thick one is used on those occasions where it is extremely cold.  The wind kicking layer I use depends on what I am hunting.  If it is deer it is a jacket that is quiet but cuts the wind. For the waterfowl hunting I do, and depending on the temp (which where most of this hunting is done it is cold cold cold) I use a heaver jacket but is not quiet at all.  

My legs dont get cold easily.  I have a pair of polartec pants that are amazing!  I throw a pair of pants (denem) over the top for some wind protection.  Over that for deer goes a pair of normal bibs from cabelas.  If I am waterfowl hunting I have neoprene waders on.  

My feet are another story.  They sweat in sandals.  I have a wicking layer on and wool socks but after 4 hours my feet are cold.  I always have to wring my socks out after a hunt.  I can not get the feet part right.  I always show up to a hunt in sandals and no socks and change to my boots when I get there.  That extends the cold from hitting my feet early on.

I wear a spandex like neck gator that keeps the wind, snow, and rain off my neck and ears.   On top of my head I wear an all fleece bennie that keeps my head toasty.  

This gear has been worn in all types of weather conditions and in different  combinations.  The coldest I have rode my motorcycle was a day where it was a-11 wind chill day.  I had a steady speed of 60mph. The ONLY thing that got cold was the tip of my nose.  It was on a dual sport bike, not one with heat. (I know its not bow talk but cold is cold, and on my bike is where I test my cold weather gear).

The coldest day hunting I have had was duck hunting and it was 0 deg with winds at 20-25mph.   I was not cold at all.  

Hope it helps and I hope I can try some wool one of these days.

Kyle
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
I have had many a pleasant day wearing my old cheap, sweating, fire hazard,stinkin fleece. If any of you have some XXL for sale I might be interested. Killed a few deer with that old cheap stuff on too. If its raining too hard I'm at camp touching up bheads or maybe stirring up some chili so downpours are not a problem.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I like both and my reason already been stated by other. Both are better then cotton.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©