3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quality clothes, boots, gear ideas  (Read 205 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Quality clothes, boots, gear ideas
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I have a little extra cash due to my deployment. What would you recommend for back pack style hunt:

Elk/Mule deer footwear

binos

gps

elk/mule deer optics
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quality clothes, boots, gear ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
never elk hunted in my life but have used many a gps. My favorite is.

Garmin 60csx with their 24K topo maps of the area you plan to hunt on DVD. Get a 2-6 gig SD card for the unit. I do a lot of bushwacking in heavy cover and it has never let me down. You should be able to find the unit for about 250. maps will be another 100
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Spend as much as you can on optics. I love my Swaro 8x30's for elk, whitetails, and putting the final sneek on mulies. I bought the little Nikon ED 13-30x50 spotting scope. Really like it. I have found over 30x and you get heat waves with even the $2500 full size spotters. The Nikon is super clear and you don't need a horse to pack it around for you. They are a sponsor here as well.

I have been wearing Merrill hiking boots for all my elk and deer hunting for the past umteen years. Well built, light and comfy.

I like my Garmin Dakota GPS. Does everything I need it to do. Nice price on it also. I don't see a need to store 1,000 waypoints or have a camera like the more expensive models.

Good luck and thanks for your service sir.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Garmin 60csx, Leopold Katmai 6x30 binocs, Asolo TP 535 and Lowa Renegade boots. Those are my preferences for hunting Elk, you may like others better.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
x2 on the top notch optics! Swaro's or Nikons should do the trick. You should consider getting a monster pair of binoculars and mounting them on a tripod rather than getting a spotting scope. It can be easier on the eyes.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Get 'em all, you just did a tour in the sandbox! Thanks for your service, and splurge a little!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
x2 on the top notch optics! Swaro's or Nikons should do the trick. You should consider getting a monster pair of binoculars and mounting them on a tripod rather than getting a spotting scope. It can be easier on the eyes.
Oh ya, 15X60 Swaro's are my dream mulie spotters, too bad their out of my price range.  :eek:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
10 x 42 Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss

Outdoorsman's Tripod (Med) with a Jim White Fluid head

Garmin 60 CSX

Boots?  I love my Schnee Hunters, but if I were to replace them, I believe I would go withbsome Kenntrek's

You might want to get a good pack too.  I am just about ready to order a Kifaru Timberline for the same type hunts.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Keenetrek boots

Leica 10x32's

I've been using the same Northface pack for 15yrs.

Kelly kettle to boil water

MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Good boots that fit your feet.

Good glass (varies with individual budget). 10x are good for glassing elk and mulies but 10's bother my head when used for extended periods so I used 8x this year. Tripod might have helped. (I use 6.5x deer hunting in Okla.)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Get 'em all, you just did a tour in the sandbox! Thanks for your service, and splurge a little!
What Pat said......X2
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Looked at the Leupold Katmai 8x32s on line (of course). I found some for 353 shipped.

Dont like the fact that they cannot be mounted to a tripod though.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
As always, Thank you for your service!

I second 10X42's. The more light gathering the better. I was going to get 8X42 binos but couldn't see enough difference in field of view to drop down in power. Mine are Eagle Optics. I think I paid around $325.00 for them and I'm totally happy with them. All the features of the big names. Lot less expensive. I can't comment with much experience on a pack, but stay tuned. As for boots, you don't need to be told that good boots are a must. Next time I'm in the market, I'm headed to the Redwing store to get fitted up. One thing I learned from them is that if you have extra tongue padding in your shoe, you'd be surprised how much better your feet feel at the end of the day.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I have never hunted elk, but I did a month long backpacking trip through the Absaroka range in  Wyoming and I can say Scarpa makes an amazing and tough boot. I've wore them plenty since and they still look almost brand new and that was 4 years ago.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Thaks for your service. You have gotten some good reccomendations. The one thing I would make sure to do is get binocs that are 42' rather than 32's. I have both and if you are talking elk where you might be in darker timber the 42's let in so much more light. They may be a little more but worth every penny IMHO.

Good luck

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
For elk, 10x42's are the way to go. watch several of the usual for sale we sites, and you can find good buys. I picked up a pair of Kahles, which were made by Swaro, and love them .

For boots, this year instead of typical hunting boots, I went with mor eof a hiker style, lower to the ankle. Lighter. I ought a pr. of Asolo boots,not sure which style they are, but Sierra Trading Post has a great selection, and you can get some real good buys on them. Mine listed for 250, I got em for I think 149. I never had 1 blister or hot spot after 22 days in the mountains.

Backpack- Kifaru. Yep, they're spendy. yep, theyre worth every penny of it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Awesome suggestions guys, thank you! I think I've narrowed the bino selection to the Nikon Monarch ATB in 10x42 or the Leupold Mohave in 10x42. Both have tripod adapability. The Nikon is 6 oz lighter and about $70.00 cheaper it seems. I found a refurbished pair through eagle optics.

In packs,I like the look of the Eberlestock X2. No hurry. Keep the suggestions coming guys.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©