3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best prices on rubber boots  (Read 380 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best prices on rubber boots
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Don't know anything but big box stores like Cabellas for knee high rubber boots and wondered if folks here, who seem pretty savvy on most everything hunting, would know of a good place to get rubber boots?

I've used the ankle fit servus boots due to relatively weak ankles, for 20 yrs, but with high arches, getting them off is getting harder with age and recently on a trip, after sitting in the cold, I tore my hamstring forcing off one of my ankle fit boots!

Buddy loaned me a pair of Lacross Burley.  Easier on and off but figure I won't do any side-hill traversing in rubber boots much as they don't provide a lot of foot /ankle support.

Mods, I hope this is ok...cause I used them for trad bowhunting and just about all other outdoor pursuits... I need some pretty quickly.

Thanks
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best prices on rubber boots
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Doc,
Weavers down around Denver should have what your looking for. From what I recall prices were fair.
Mike
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
I still use my Lacrosse "Grange" boots which are ankle fit, but I've had issues getting them off when I got water inside of them.. After your fiasco I'm thinking the next time I have that problem I just might get out a sharp knife !!

In the past few years, in the winter, I've been using Muck brand boots.. I've found them to be comfortable and warm.. Also easy on, easy off.. However, you probably won't find the support you've had in the others..

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I have been using the burley's for more than 20 years and have had no problems at all with them.  But I don't do mountain climbing either.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
..Muck Brand...only for me ...light and easy to take on and off !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! Got a few PM's with suggestions on locations but mostly like above, commendations to the Burley's...

Just hate to spring for them right now when in a bit, they'll be on sale... after my fiasco, I don't even know if I can get out our next two Saturdays before the season ends...

MJB,
Yeah, we call that the "Mennonite Mall" but it's a hoof...I tend to forget they're down there aways from Lititz, but might have to consider...  :)

Thanks for the reminder...

Pat, all I have to do is wear them and my feet sweat badly enough, they're wet... but this one pair of wool socks is like velcro and totally forgot cause they work in other footwear... deadly combo with the sitting in planes and airports, then cars for 10 hrs, then a good hike, then sat in a stand motionless and tightened up in the dead cold... that last "tug" did me in!  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
BTW,

I was trying to find "non-ankle fit" boots.  I just went on Cabellas and everything you guys suggested (except muck) is ankle fit...burley and cabella's store brand...

don't wanna do that again...got two pair of them killer right here!

Also, the original question was "where".

MJB reminded me of one bootery that has a lot of choices.

Any other ideas? Non-ankle fit?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
What about a paire of Xtra Tuffs, made in the US and that is what all South East Alaskan and a lot of us in the Yukon wear in the summer fall winter and spring... I like mne, not the best ankle support but anought( I have real bad ankles and no real problems with them) you can get them insulated or not, I would go with the insulated one!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
A timely question Doc. I too am considering pull-on boots rather than my lace-up 8 pounders.

I'll be watching this one.

And I hope your hamstring is healing. Man what a bruise    :eek:  

Thanks.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
I have been happy with Muck so far. I switched from Lacrosse this year. I hunt some pretty steep stuff and cross or walk down creeks on the way in. I even put on an extra pair of socks the other day 20 feet up. Would have been a pain with lacrosses.

Maybe you could try some of those lace up ankle supports inside a pair of Mucks. Might be the best of both worlds.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I just got a pair of Kamik Hunters from Cabelas, made in Canada. Rated +40 to -40. Nice boots for the money, about $50. Easy on and off, and they have a nice drawstring top so snow and other stuff won't fall down inside.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Dave, do yourself a favor and go with a pair of Muck's. Best boot out there and you don't have to roll around on the floor trying to get them off. Been there done that with ankle fits. Your old bones will thank you, mine did   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Doc,
We have both Muck Woody Max and Lacrosse Alpha Lites. My Alpha lites are the 7MM thick with side zippers that are AWESOME ! When I went to buy my son Mason a pair this year I could not seem to find the 7MM side zips, only the 3.5MM or 5MM thick versions. So, I bought him the Muck Woody Max's that are 5MM and he can get them on and off very easily.

I hate it that you had to tear a hammy getting those Lacrosse boots off, been there done that till we got a boot puller made up out of some scrap cedar. You can also buy a plastic one from Lacrosse I think ? You simply step on the boot jack with one foot while inserting the other foot in the boot jack and..... Walla ! Off comes the ankle fit boot. We shop the auction sites or Cabelas Bargain Cave most of the time. Hope this helps and get well Doc !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
You can kick these Kamik Hunters off, and did I say comfy?

I have been hiking mountains trapping coyotes and these boots are pretty darn nice for rubber boots. Warm weather in the 50's, my feet don't sweat in them.

One other selling point for me was they come in green or black, no camo.  ;)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Now we're talking guys... Shed I'll look again at the Kamik to see if I can find them at Cabellas.

I did search a bunch of pages and everything I opened was ankle fit!  :mad:  

I tried a pair of Muck's years ago and they seemed so "floppy" but I did see they'd make you a moulded inset piece for righteous money.. :0

With my weird shaped feet, buying foot wear is a wretched experience...

I'll revisit Muck and try to find these Kamik stuff!

I'm open to more...

NOCAMs, we used to have those around... but I don't think it would have helped my very high arches which seem to be getting worse... that instep just binds something awful... I was going to make a cut out for myself in prep this year, but probably wouldn't have thrown in it the box going to WI for this past fateful trip anyway.

Appreciate the thoughts and suggestions...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
IMHO, the Cabelas brand rubber boots aren't as snug in the ankle as the burly.  I liked the burly but they were too tight on my calves.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
I had seen a pair of boots at tractor supply for about $80-$90 made by a company called Superlite. I didn't buy them but I tried them on and they seemed pretty comfy and man are they light!!! I may get a pair and see how they hold up. They have a web site where you can check them out Doc. Superliteboots.com
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Scott, that is because you're an animal, you old studd you!  :)  :)   All that sports and weight lifting honked up your calves man...  :)  My preacher buddy is the same...he went with Muck.

Thanks for the tip, Scott, that the cabella's version isn't quite as tight fitting.  This appears to be something I can't just do quickly or by mail order..especially while the ham is still so sore...I'd never get off and on several try ons!  :(

Rusty, I don't even think there is a Tractor Supply close by me anymore... I'd been told about their foam blocks they use to ship their small garden tractors making good bh targets and researched them... but the website will be helpful.

I'm not too concerned about the weight. My aged bones don't go that far anymore, but I do get into steep country and sidehills, so always opted for ankle fit and my foot still slipped around...just swear by rubber boots for archery to limit ground scent.

Thanks for all the input...checking each one out!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
I wear the Lacross burley and they are great for easy n off. Loved the grange when I was younger and had a good boot jack.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I wear the LaCross burley for snow blowing but Muck for hunting. Either way, get a bootjack and use it to take off those boots. Indispensable with hip boots.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©