3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please explain?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Please explain?
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Just wondering about why you guys like such heavy broadheads?? I understand it can help get the spine right. But what else. FOC? I was going to put woodsmans(150) or STOS(156?w/adapter) on my arrows this year and I think that is pushing it?? Mostly I tune in some 125s and I am good.

Man I just read the MFX/Axis thread and they are putting up 300/350 up front, course he is going to Africa as well.

Just wondering the thought process, other than the penetration argument.

Later

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please explain?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
J-dog: My take on it is that since carbons came out and people experimented with ways to get the arrow weight up  in the 8-10 grain per pound range different techniques and materials were experimented with. I am not sure about this but many complained that while the shafts were too light they were also too stiff. It is common knowledge that heavier points will soften spine and I think the inevitable happened...someone added weight to the point, found out that it solved both the weight and spine problem with the advantage of gaining performance ala penetration. For me it is a match made in heaven and I enjoy the benefit of the added penetration without all the other things that go along with adding weight to arrows that are just plain annoying...at least to me. All that I need to make a super hunting arrow are the shafts and heavier components and no other weight tubes, ropes, etc.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline infosponge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Read Dr. Ashby's reports. He has done very detailed and scientific research on broadhead penetration. Very much an eye-opener. What he has done, I think, is to eliminate the "penetration argument" with factual evidence. Some just really like the beter flight. But for me---its the penetration difference that the added weight gives---thats why I do it.
Vegetarian--old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Agree with BC, well said, You may enjoy reading Dr. Ashby's  reports on arrow performance/FOC on this site,

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24

I started the mfx/axis post, just pushing the envelope experimenting, I may end up with 425 up front if the 350 leaves the arrow to stiff. That will be a "scud" arrow. For me it is the other fun part of shooting, besides watching the arch of a well loosed arrow?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
that should be 340 not 350, oops. The scud would be cool, a longer flight time with that much mass, more time to enjoy the arch of archery

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
I wasn't trying to say it is not needed just wondering the thought process. I agree, heavy is a better penetrator. That looks like it will be a heck of an arch to watch! I was thinking of trying a weight tube but I xcan't stand it I will try the heavy point too.

later

jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Longbows4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
how would you get 350 up front katman

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »
100 grain brass insert + 125 grain steel adapter + 200 grain Ace Broadhead or Brass point is what I used most of this year.
 I started off wanting to get arrows in the 10 gr/# area by stuffing the shafts with anything I could think of. It worked but there were always issues like noise/poping nocks out etc. Then I found 100 gr  brass inserts.This worked great then I found 175 gr  broadheads and this was even better. Next came steel adapters so it was only natural to try these too and this year I got some Ace 200 Broadheads and points to test.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
L4l, 100 grain insert, 125 wensel wwodsman and 125 steel screw in insert adapter + 350, and if tyhe 340 is to stiff go to 425 as Pete showed. Katman

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I use 160gr STOS with 125gr steel adaptor on all my carbons. I even add a 100gr brass insert to above when moose hunting. Try it you'll like it! Arrows fly awesome and penetration is second to none. Trajectory is of liitle concern when I'm shootin 25yrds tops most of the time.
hunt it

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I like mine real heavy so I don't have to walk far to pick them up ! they don't go far !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
I shoot a 250gr head on a 30" 2219, out of a 70lb Silvertip. It sounds like a hammer bust'in a melon when it hits the rib cage. You can hear me giggle for miles when that happens.    :goldtooth:  

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I like lash a big ole bowie knife to ma arras. If'n I aim low, I kin killem and guttem with one shot...

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
never thought of that Steve.... good Ideer  :)

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©