3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the Difference in These Broadheads?  (Read 210 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the Difference in These Broadheads?
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »

These two heads look to have nearly the same charactoristics.  The Bear was one my Dad purchased around 1960.  The other is one I've had around for many years from who knows where.  I would love to know if the newer BH is still made because even though they appear to be splitting images of each other they fly completely different.  The Bear, with the arrows I have currently, flys very erratic with the nock end kicking up hard.  The knock off BH flys clean and true.
Anyone venture to explain the difference.
Anyone know who made/makes the other head?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the Difference in These Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
There were lots of copies of Bear's famous head. If your's isn't flying well it may be a tuning issue perhaps there is a weight difference between them?

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
The older one is the bear razorhead which depending on when it was made could weigh anywhere from 125 grains to 150 grains (glue on with adapter). The newer head with the blue ferrule is a bear super razorhead. This head is made of stainless steel unlike the original carbon steel original. They are both some of the greatest broadheads ever produced.
James Kerr

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
That newer one, I'm sure, is a Bear stainless Razorhead.  If I remember right they were around late '70's through the eighties.  Used them a little back then.  My guess is the stainless head is heavier than the vintage one making the flight difference.  Someone smarter than me will be along and know.

Eric

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
James, I think we were typing at the same time.

Eric

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I killed 3 deer in my compound days with the Super  Razorhead (stainless one), it did an awesome job.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
Your yellow head is a repainted 1964 +/- Bear Razorhead with a threaded insert.

The blue ferrule & stainless is a late 70's Bear Super Razorhead (threaded ferrule).

At least I think that's the case.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
The old bear weights around 145grs and the newer stainless bear weights around 135grs without the bleeder blades. Bleeder blades are about 6grs more.They are no longer made but can be still found.Make sure they are straight on the arrow[spin test]no wobble.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
anyone know where I can find some Bear bleeder blades ???
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
They show up on the auction site pretty regularly.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the information, men.  I weighed the newer blade a few years back and it was right at 139 grains.  I've never weighed the older Bear razorhead, though.
I have some bleeder blades and they fit into the vintage head perfectly (but make it fly even worse) but they are a bit big for the stainless head, and throws the flight off with them, too.
I will confess that I've had some carbon shafting foybles for the new bow I built and they are not spot on in the tuning department.  The Snuffers and the old Bears fly just terrible with them, but as I mentioned originally the stainless Bears fly great.  
I will say that if I could find more of the Stainless Steel Super Heads I would pick them up.  I am impressed with them.  Hopefully, I can see how well hairshaving sharp edges can perforate a deer.

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
I have both those types of bear heads and they fly great for me.  I was using Cabela's 3 blade copies of Muzzy broadheads which worked but tended to be erratic and broke easily.

While I got great penetration and killed one deer this year with them, they broke way to easily and I shattered 4/6 broadheads in 2 weeks tuning and shooting.

I missed with a bear and it stuck 2 inches into the solid wood of my shed.  I used an ax that was handy to hit it out of the wood, sharpened it up and it shoots great!  I stocked up on the auction site so now I have about 6 old razorheads and 3 super razorheads and about 10 bleeders.
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
One's blue, and the other is yellow!    Couldn't help myself.
At my age small things amuse you.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Weigh the heads. If they're close in wt, it should be very hard to tell the difference.

Try the head that doesn't fly well on the other arrow that does. If it flies well on that arrow it's an arrow problem.

If it still flies bad maybe the insert in the head is off.

Good luck
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©