3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you lose alot of arrows?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you lose alot of arrows?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
I can't stand to lose an arrow. It borders on obsessive compulsive behavior when I do. For years I shot the old Metric Magnum 8.7s; I bought several doz. shafts when they were taken out of production. I still have 4-5 dozen that I use out of one of my old standby bows. I thought switching to something current would relieve my concerns but I wound up choosing Grizzly Stik Alaskans and can't afford to lose those. Judos help.            Grant

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
If ya hunt in the jungle I hunt in ya are gonna loose arrows, but normally they have gone through something first so I don't feel too bad,LOL. I break more than I loose. But I gots lots of arras and know where to get more,LOL

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline MrBadExample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »
I rarely lose arrows, however the granite outcroppings in the backyard and hidden rocks make me wish I lost them rather than watch the sparks fly and hear them shatter into toothpicks or carbon fiber dust! Busted three today!    :banghead:   I am going to have to learn to make my own I guess.    :rolleyes:

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »
At a teaching rondyvoo a couple years ago I was doing the archery demonstration and had made up some shoot arrows with old style trade points and turkey feather fletching to show the kids what they shot "back when".I overshot my backstop and lost one deep into the brush... maybe it will end up in a museum someday.  :)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
I Used to Lose a LOT of Arrows to the "Swamp Monster" I called the Neighboring Woods, and It Used to  REALLY HONK ME OFF!!  :notworthy:  
  Sage advice, no doubt about it. Then My Son, a Sharp Eyed 10 Year Old decided he was going to Brave the Swamp Monster, and Darned if he Didnt  FIND  all but a Handfull He & I had Lost while Learning to Shoot!! He  STILL  comes up with One from Time to Time!! Expensive Learning Curve if ya dont  START  Inside a Range!! Cant Lose them InDoors!!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Been awhile since I lost an arrow, when I miss I figure my pennance is finding it,heck last week we shot in front of the pond, took me 45 min. to find 2 arrows... but the water was nice,lol,lol
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline Arrow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
They don't call me Arrow Hunter for nothing.

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Like Grant, I'm fanatical about finding the lost ones, and it drives me crazy until I do.

The kid's metal detector spends much more time in my hands, then in their hands.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Don't LOSE too many , but I sure do BREAK a lot, as above, taking "fun" shots in the woods while stumping.
ChuckC

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
One of the reasons I don't golf is that I cannot stand looking for things.  My impression of golf is you wack then ball, then go look for it, repeat.  Just hate it.  I guess sort of the opposite of Grant Young that way.

So I am in the camp that it is just an arrow - they make more.  Sure I look some, but not long.

Having said that I seem to run in streaks where I don't lose any, then I lose a bunch in short time.  Now that I say that, I am due.  Dang.

Regards to breaking, I used to break a lot until I switched to carbon arrows (that is the reason I swtched).  

-Dave

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
I use to loose more than now. I would pay my kids a buck for any arrow they could find.I have looked for an hour or so before giving up.Go in the house and when I came back out it was right there..With my dog still chewing on it  :banghead:
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Ever notice the guys ata shoot that won't look for their arrows?   Like they are too embarrassed to show that they missed!

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
I don't nomally lose any, not because i never miss but i just find the arrows because they are fletched very bightly!

there was an expirenced arche who wins our 3D shoots sometimes who lost an entire dozen CX Heritage arrows in one 3D shoot!   :scared:

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Seem to break more than I loose, but usually between broken arrows and quiver can't count a dozen. Must be an arrow thief on the loose.  ;)

Steve

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
I lost my first arrow a couple months ago at JC's shoot. The next day i was shooting at my target,the arrow went strait over the top and I never saw it again.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline swampjoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
Heh - I live on a rock and I've never lost an arrow but I broke so many I had to learn how to make my own!

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
In the back yard no, but at 3-D shoots.The earth swallows them up. I have seen where they hit, walk to get them and they are gone. Like magic, no where to be found. Even with burms behind. Gone, disappeared, vanished. The earth swallowed it. Had to have.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline alpo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
grrrr.... i was thinking of starting a thread about the kids loosing arrows a while back, but figured i was blessed that they were shooting their bows, why complain about that .....  'CEPT they don't look for them ! they don't pay for them ! and I grabbed my gear last night to discover THEY are all out of arrows & started to loose mine too.  

I don't need the help, I was getting around to loosing them myself, time permitting, and have enough arrows to look for already that are playing hide & seek right behind the backstop somewhere.
  whoever thought up camo arrows was definitely a better shot than me.
Take 2 for safety.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Them things will slide right under bermuda,I sometims find them by walking barefoot.Many times I have been walking in the yard and stopped in my tracks feeling somthing under my foot resembling an arrow.POOF!out of the ground comes an arrow.  :cool:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Ever notice how the old beat up arrows with half the fletching frayed and gone that you'd like to see disapear never do?!  I have one that I've constantly used on risky shots and its like a bad penny, it keeps turning up!  But the nice arrows?  I figure on loosing or breaking at least one any given time I shoot 3D.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©