3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FF affect on arrow spine  (Read 378 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
FF affect on arrow spine
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
I'm doing some bareshaft tuning (nock point method) and the bow has FF string.  I will be getting and using Dacron string.  I am guessing the FF will have the effect of somewhat weakening the spine as compared to dacron.  Is this the case and will it be enough to make any difference or is it minute from anyones experience who has tuned the same bow with dacron and ff?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: FF affect on arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Right now I have a bow that likes all types of combos.

I use three different strings.  One likes an arrow with 100gr plus a 125gr head.  Another likes the same arrow with 45gr plus a 100gr head.  The last likes the arrow with just a 100gr head.

I am sure it will change as I am always messing with something on the string, bow, or arrow.

A different bow that I have it does not seem to matter.  I can shoot different spined arrows with different weight combos and it does not care.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Unless your arrows were borderline stiff, you shouldn't have much problem if any.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
The difference can be very noticeable-at least that has been my experience especially for bareshafting. If you can wait to get the new set up do that. You will generally see a 5-10# difference depending upon the number of strands, and what you mean by the term 'FF'. On the other hand; I have a recurve bow that had an 18 strand fastflight string from the bowyer, and a 12 strand dacron string is faster and requires a stiffer arrow.
Personally I would wait-and what is wrong with the 'FF' string currently on the bow?

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Why go from ff to dacron? I'm going the other way, shooting ff on all my bows, from "storebought" to my own wood lams and selfbows. Makes a notable difference in speed, doesn't hurt any healthy bow, and forces you to fine-tune the setup to keep things quiet. My 2 cents. dave

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Not all strings are created equally.  If you go from a overbuilt FF type string to a well matched Dacron there won't be an excessive differnce in arrow tune.  If you go from a well built prestretched "fast" modern material string (AKA a Rod Jenkin's String) to a Dacron Rope, there is going to be some tuning issues.  In my experience, the bow will be slower and Louder with the Dacron as well as have a bit more hand buzz.  If your bow is FF compliant the only advantage I would see in going to dacron is that it may allow you to shoot a weaker spined arrow if that is your goal, or it may slow your arrows down if the bow is a bit faster than your mental computer is used to.

ALWAYS tune with the bow EXACTLY as it will be when there is fur on the other side of your heads.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
I like Dacron because it has never let me down, is quieter and better for the bow.  I think you only pick up something like 3 fps with FF...if it was around 10 fps I'd think about making the switch.  Until then I just prefer the quietness and reliance of dacron.    :eek:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
I have noticed that low stretch strings will make an arrow shoot much weaker than with dacron. I make 12 strand dacron strings and they do very well.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Mike,  I would venture to guess you would see 10 with a 10 or 12 strand padded loop 8125 prestreched string over a Dacron.  I have seen 6 to 8 FPS gains over a 16 strand FF string.

If you ever get the chacne to shoot one of Rod's or LBR's strings I think they may change your mind.  LOL!!!

I LOVE FREE HORSEPOWER!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Wow...that is a lot of free horsepower for sure.  I do shoot LBR strings but have only gotten them in Dacron.  What is 8125 string and how does it compare in stretch and noise to dacron and ff string?  Wow...10 fps from string -I never heard of picking up that much speed...that may be worth considering.  Thanks for the input.    :wavey:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
I agree they can effect the spine ya need to shoot but it depends on the bow and the design. I have to totally disagree about Dacron being more reliable and quieter. 8125,450+, and my personal favorite D97 is quieter and tougher on all mm bows, even my older curves that it is not recommended for. I have the loops padded and add velcro to the string grooves on my old bows and they shoot it fine with no ill effects, the oldest bow you ask? A 67' Pearson Hunter! Shawn
Shawn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
How are you guys "padding your loops"?  Is this using the wool wrapped around the string ends?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
No they are padded while making the string, ya just add extra string to the loops as ya twist it up. Shawn
Shawn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Shawn.  I'll have to request that on my next order of strings.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©