3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thinking about moving my stand  (Read 237 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
thinking about moving my stand
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I place a ladder stand this fall along the bottom of a ridge, with a creek bottom behind me.  There is a trail that runs along the bottom of the ridge. In previous years, I have found a  fairly large scrape at the base of this ridge. I am actually about 17 yards from my stand to the trail. There is very little sign on this trail currently.

Last week, I had about 6 deer moving along the top of the ridge towards the field to feed. They were about 60 yards away from me.

Given the time of the year, should I move my stand to the top of the ridge where most of the deer seem to be moving along?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: thinking about moving my stand
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Put a loc-on 1/2 to 2/3 up the ridge and hunt the thermals going down.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
If you are not where the deer are, you can't kill them.  Sometimes you gotta gamble.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Another option is to have two separate stands in two different locations.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
My first rule of thumb is, "Don't move stands in the middle of the season". Second rule of thumb is, "Rule number one gets broken sometimes". If you've lost all confidence in your location then consider moving it. If I absolutely have to move a stand, I like to do it in the rain, or with rain in the near future. I think this helps wash away the scent that you leave behind while trimming shooting lanes, moving the ladder, standing around choosing the right tree, etc.

I will also echo what Night Wing said. Multiple stands in multiple locations.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
I moved a stand this past Monday based on defined and consistant deer travel I observed from another stand.Three hours after I had the stand in it's new position, I put my douglas fir shaft through the side of a small buck. It will drive you nuts if you don't move your stand and see deer after deer just out of range.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I would move. Hunting below a ridge can be difficult to hunt due to funky wind currents. Ridges usually have a more consistent wind.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I would have moved to where the deer are as soon as I knew their travel route.

Gatekeeper is right about the wind on the downside of a ridge.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Not sure what you're after deer wise (buck or doe) but I am constantly moving around the 700 acres I hunt. I'm after a particular 14 pointer. My theory is stay with the does where ever they happen to be. The bucks will eventually show themselves.
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
As mentioned I would add another stand even if it is on the ridge, that way if they bust you you may get another chance at the bottom of the ridge. And as Murphys law if you move it up they will move below.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Move with the deer, I have done it for 30 years of bowhunting and have had great results.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
I agree move it get another stand but by all means get to where you make the shot you need.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
I had a loc-on on the ridge for about three years but only saw a few does from it. My reasoning for the current placement was I thought the bigger bucks would use this trail, especially once gun-deer hunting started, which is this weekend.

I think I will place another stand adjacent to the trail following the ridge, keeping an eye on the lower trail for signs of increased usage as well.

Appreciate the comments,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I was just reading an article in the PBS magazine by Gene Wensel saying how you need to know how the deer movements change in your area based on the time ofthe year. He was hunting aspot similar to you and hewas sayingthe deer were moving up on top of the ridge through a field to avod walking through the brush filled with morning dew and to avoid the brush itself in the early season. He said after the cold weather hit and wilted down the brush they would start walking through the bottom of the ridge. That just might be happenning where you are.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
I think being mobile is one of the biggest things hunters overlook. Deer adapt every day. You must too. If you have funds, grab another stand. If you dont, move it. If need be, move it again later.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©