3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground hunters?  (Read 510 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
ground hunters?
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Anybody connecting yet.Its tuff missed a doe so far.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground hunters?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I've missed two does from my double bull three days apart. Got both misses on film though. First one she ducked my arrow at around 23 yards. Second one totally my fault. I just flat out missed. Having 100% success so far this year as far as getting deer within bow range of the blind.

Happy Hunting
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Its a rush just to get them close!
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I have yet to see a deer while still-hunting this year.  I've seen a total of six (took a doe) in the last 15 minutes of daylight on five different days while ending the day in my stand; two on opening day and singles thereafter.  Two spikes and the rest bald headed.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I have passed on four does with young fawns so far.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
give me a hollor man lets do some hunting!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I connected with a 5 point buck this past saturday. Natural ground blind, actually a blown down tree "Thanks hurricane Irene".
Buck came in at about 10 yards and had no idea I was there. Made a quartering away shot on him at 12 yards..
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Just shot a nice buck yesterday... walk and stalk with no cover.... just keeping the wind in my face....

See Below...........

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110105;p=1#000000
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I've passed on the same 4 point twice. Once at 10 yards and at 12 yards.
Have had 4 shots at turkeys frome 15 to 25 yards, and missed all by a feather.
Can't beat the ground.

Hap

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Got my first trad kill last week from a ground blind .Got double lung shot at 15 yards. Oh yeaa a button buck.
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I had a small 6ptr come in at 8yrds but high hit.  1st deer I saw all year and had no idea I was there.
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
One turkey down. Killed a doe, but from a treestand, but now I'm searching for a buck on the ground, and hopefully another turkey.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
3Feathers, you're right.  Sure is tough.  I've had a several doe and a nice 8 point pass by a couple of my ground blinds, but just a bit too far away for an acceptable shot. Hoping that my chance will come yet.  Have to admit though, I'm having fun!
The work praises the man.

Offline TrueNorth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Had action at 10 yards tonight but no shot..rancho safari ghillie is definetley a great investment for anyone who wants total ground concealment
"There is no point in having a dog and barking yourself" - Scotty Cameron

08 Black Widow PAX Becote
56# at 28"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Have passed on a cute little 7 pointer twice while hunting the ground at a feild's edge at the top of a drainage. Just standing in a patch of iron wood trees. All to be cut and sprayed come Spring. Both times the wind changed early so I was forced to leave my stand. It sure is fun on the ground. Heart pumps hard even over small deer.
Other than that I have watched many coons wander by. Season for them is still a few days away. By the looks of it I may be selling a few furs this year.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I`ve killed two does from a ground blind at a water oak this year. Both under 10 yards with a Hill Big 5.Killed 4 more from a stand. got to admit the deer on the ground were twice the excitement as the 4 from a tree.RC

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
I had one duck the arrow at fifteen yds.
took a shot earlier in the year at about 17 yds. Had to thread the needle..lets just say I don't sew.

Last weekend I had a deer walk so close in the early morning black darkness I literally could've reached out and poked it with my arrow...that was a rush.

Then that evening...I was hunting in a completely new spot. Found where a few trails crossed/ merged on the edge of a grassy hill with a few trees. The area had lots of little rolly mounds.
I found a decent spot to settle down at the base of a "clump" of 3 older maples that were all growing together.
I saw a squirrel start barking at something.
Made me watch in the direction it was barking.
Sure enough, after about 5-6 mins I hear footsteps. So I got turned around into position.

The area the sound was coming from was up and over a small hill. It was walking right to me.
Then I saw a head just clearing the top of the hill. Couldn't see if there was headgear or not at first as it was behind a couple small sumac trees. After watching it's head bob a few times I could see it was a small spike.

I watched as the deer came closer and closer.
Always straight at me. The closest he got was 9 yds. The bust of it was that from the lay of the land there, he was able to keep his body hidden behind these small mounds..It was almost like he was walking down a ditch.

Then I lost sight of him. I kept watching for a bit as I could still here him over there.
Then I caught a glimpse of his back as he slipped through between some other mounds at about 15 yds.
And never saw him again.

What a rush that was...kinda maddening buts lots of fun!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
Missed a buck Monday night @ 20yds stupid branch jumped out in front of my arrow. Finally found my arrow yesterday after the snow melted away.
Actually had a few deer in shooting range this year. Its been better than most years.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Took this doe second time out.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=108903

Had a couple close encounters with some nice bucks. Missed a big fella by dropping my bow arm.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I don't know how you guys do it, I can't get remotely close on the ground around here. You sure have my respect.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©