3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground blind Pics.  (Read 276 times)

Offline Nivek

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground blind Pics.
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
How about some tips on how you set up your ground blinds (and pictures)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground blind Pics.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Brush in the front and brush behind to break up your outline.  Are you making a natural blind or using a pop up?

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I just sit up against a tree using a torges style seat. So in this photo, I am against the large oak center, I have a log on my right giving me a little cover, and a little junk in front of me. The rest of my cover is from the blow downs, or brush several yards around me. Stay low and only move when you have to. Shot a doe @33yrds from this spot on the day I took the pic.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
search 1  
   search 2
   search 3
   search 4

Here are a few older threads that might help you out.  Some of the pictures have been deleted but i think there are still enough to give you some ideas.  Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Here's my only ground blind.  I usually just find a tree to lean against.

This one has a bench seat.      :D    

Up close you can see the bow on the bench and my quiver where I would be sitting.  It's open upper and lots of cover low so I can kneel or drop and face the other way with less movement showing.

Further off.  Over my right shoulder is a series of paths I keep mowed through a brush lot.  My rabbit hunting area and a deer "social spot" evenings.

It sits in a little "grove" of hemlocks among smaller hardwoods.  There is a creek 40 yards in front and the terrain slopes up in front and behind (faces the prevailing West wind).  Off to the right is a field on the other side of a powerline right-of-way.

West (the lighter/open area is the creek)

North

East

South looks about like North but it is thicker.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
These spots look good
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Stumpkiller, that looks like one heck of a location!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
in the north east I like to look for HOLLY trees and then go inside them trim away the dead stuff and and rake the leaves away from the base..  they are the coolest trees that are perfect natural blinds to shoot out of.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
My wife Nancy and I started bow hunting deer in the 50's when there were no tree stands or pop up blinds available. You either still hunted or hunted in a blind made from natural materials. If we found a well used run where deer were traveling we started looking for a spot close to the run that with a little brushing in would conceal.

I once ambushed a deer from a spot only 5 yards from a runway. My only cover was a pine stump that had a small pine sapling beside of it. I filled in the gaps with ferns leaving a narrow shooting hole. There was a hole/depression behind the stump where I put my feet so I could sit right on the ground. (a short bow is an advantage) My backside was in the open. I took advantage of what was already there and added only what was needed. To the deer it looked just like it had always looked.

Here's Nancy in one of her favorite ground blinds in the pines.  

Here she is standing up from her stool in another hot spot.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
although lotsa things work, I am of the opinion that less is usually better.  A large pile of stuff in the middle of a manicured area (cause you moved all the stuff to the pile) might put the critters on edge, unless it has been there a while.  You don't always need a ton of stuff to hide you well enough.
ChuckC

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Blown down trees and their tops make great blinds when they are in the right place.

Shot a buck from this spot.  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I bought a used DB blind last year for a pronghorn hunt, worked great.  I just set it up yesterday in a group of young pines where I will hunt in December.  This is on my own land.  I have my eye on an 8pt.
habujohn

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
The Hidden Hunter blind is a great alternative when a natural blind isn't where it should be.

http://www.shrewbows.com/hiddenhunterblinds/index.html

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »

This has worked well near a elk waterhole.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
TRACY,
  You did real good on that blind setup! The colors and patterns go great...I also really like Charlie's set up as well...  :thumbsup:

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Look at my "TX Hunters Check In" thread.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
What's behind you is more important than front cover.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
"What's behind you is more important than front cover."

Couldn't agree more! I was only hunting with a camera, but I picked a different spot each day and just sat near big stumps and blow downs and such. Only time I got busted was moving the shiny video camera too much to get a better angle. I had deer within 5 yards many times last week. Does and bucks! Notice how Charlie has the ground cleared under his feet. Very important!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
 "What's behind you is more important than front cover."  
I agree that back cover is important but not always more important.... As I posted earlier,

"I once ambushed a deer from a spot only 5 yards from a runway. My only cover was a pine stump that had a small pine sapling beside of it. I filled in the gaps with ferns leaving a narrow shooting hole. There was a hole/depression behind the stump where I put my feet so I could sit right on the ground. (a short bow is an advantage) My backside was in the open. I took advantage of what was already there and added only what was needed. To the deer it looked just like it had always look"

In that case the runway was very close and it was more important to be concealed from the front than from the back. There was a cameraman in a pop up blind on top of the hill behind me. The deer actually stopped to look at the blind that was silhouetted on top of the hill. I drew and shot through a narrow shooting slot. My backside was open but the cover in front of me was more important than cover behind me in this situation.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Every situation has it's own special needs. Like this willow blind I built for antelope.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©