3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hardcore Archery comes to Kansas to hunt Whitetails! (Two down)  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hardcore Archery comes to Kansas to hunt Whitetails! (Two down)
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Congrats!!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  Just awesome.  My KS trip starts in 2 weeks.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
All those "targets of opportunity" and then tree standing hunting adds another perspective to it and to the shot.

Sounds like the best of times... Hope there is more to share with us!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Sorry to get so behind on this thread it's been a busy couple of days dragging deer, butchering and tracking.   :D  

I want to thank everyone for following along and the rut information. Ryan is one heck of a good guy but you guys no that and we had a blast on this hunt. The only thing that would have made it any better is if Charlie Lamb could have made it over in time to meet Ryan.

He will be coming over this week so the hunting is not done and I barely missed a buck crossing the road on the way home from the airport and a doe by my house tonight so ther moving pretty good still.

The area I hunt is not what most people think of as typical Kansas scenery.

We have some nice rolling hills and alot of Harwood ridges with crops in the lowlands.

Once the leaves start falling off the views are awsome I think.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
We saw deer and turkeys everyday and I was very happy for that. There wasen't a single morning that the turkeys did't let us know they were around cackling,yelping and even gobbling a few times.

I have a bunch of logging roads cut so it's easy access in and out to some of the stands.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
The second morning Ryan and I split up so we could see what was going on in two diiferent spots but not to far apart. The wind was howling so we set on opposite ridges across the valley from each other were the wind was better but swirling some.

As soon as it was starting to get light I saw two dark figures walk in and started feeding on acorns in front of me. Not long after I could here grunting coming from the direction of a pond behind me. He stayed steady grunting and was getting closer so I stood a grabbed my bow preparing for the shot if needed. I could see by then and it was a small 8pt so I put the bow up and grabbed the camera.

As soon as he came around the last tree he started stiff legging and stomping and heading for the two does.

The big doe finaly got tired of him and headed off in Ryans direction the buck close behind grunting all the way and then the little doe.

This whole time the turkeys were yelping nonstop up the ridge and finaly I heard them start flying down. Soon after I could hear foot steps in the oak leaves and this guy comes walking by.

Tracy

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Tracy and Ryan,

Sorry I didn't get over to see you guys.  I was working over at the in-laws on Saturday.  I didn't get free until after 4 so I couldn't meet you guys at the airport.

It looks like Ryan had a great time! Way to whack those does.

Thanks for all the great pics.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Sorry we missed you too Chris but we just figured you were out hunting. Next time buddy!  :thumbsup:  

Quick story of the button buck I shot. After Ryan shot his doe and dragging it out and butchering it we both were to tired to clean up and just went and climbed into one of my favorite blinds.

Its in a pretty little clearing we keep mowed and its a staging area for the deer before heading on down into the crop fields. It is loaded up with scrapes and rubs every year.

We just get comfy and settled in.

And this guy shows up!

For some reason he dosen't like something and while Ryan was preparing for the shot he runs over and goes into the timber.  :dunno:  

Tracy

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time, and some prime meat for the freezer!  Things are just picking up from the sounds of it - keep it coming  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
Maybe 15 minutes after the gobbler runs off we look up and here comes a deer from the south.

It's a young button buck and will be perfect for Ryan's meat collection    :D   A adult doe was soon following him and another big doe just coming out of the timber.

He moves off to the right side of the blind and I have to shift my position to another window. While stepping back I step right on Ryans sunflower seed bag. CRUNCH!! Everybody freezes.
   :eek:  

He finaly settles down a little and I have to wait for one of the big does to move out of the way. I pick a spot and release, The arrow sails right over his back and Ryan says you hit the blind with your bow tip. I heard it but the shot wasen't to far off he was just super fast.

We are sitting there wispering and Ryan is giving me a hard time about missing and for some reason he comes back and offers me a quatering away shot. I wait for Ryan to say he is filming, drop down on one knee pick a spot and release and this time there was no ducking out of the way.

Tracy

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
The shot looks great and he only makes it about 40yds then crashes into a ceder tree and drops right there in sight.

A few more deer start coming into the clearing right after the buck drops and start blowing. We decide to just go grab him and pull him down the hill and take a few picks and not spook them to much. My trail cam caught us walking by.

Before leaving I go over and retrieve my first arrow which is stuck in a log and Ryan gets a good chuckle out of that.

Then a few picks and off to the house to cut and wrap again. It has been a great day and were all smiles when we get back home.

Tracy

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »
Great job and great pictures....Thanks!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
Awesome hunt guy's   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Ryan,

I am glad to see those AD arrows were used so successfully back here in Kansas.  You were hunting only about 8 miles from my farm.  Thanks for posting such an interesting hunt story.

Mark

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Tracy, Ryan,

Congrats to both of you on a fine hunt, looks like a great time!!
    Thanks for sharing your adventure!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys!!

Ryan got home last night and should be along with more to this story sometime today.

Tracy

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Great stuff guys!!! I'm still waiting to get the word.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along with ya.  Great read.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing....stay after em!!!

My time this season has been extremely limited....my girls are keeping me busy...but I got a few traps set...just hope I get to sit them.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Love the play by play!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©