3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Haven't we already fought this battle?  (Read 841 times)

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
Haven't we already fought this battle?
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
First of all, I believe any deer is a trophy with any weapon. However, I've taken my share of small bucks, so I usually put a doe in the freezer and try to take a mature buck. This  is my 4th year hunting with traditional equipment, and I'm using a bow I made myself. The other day while still hunting, I had a young 5 point at about 5 yards. I passed on the young buck but got a thrill from the experience. I was telling my buddy at work about it and he said I should have shot it. He said it would have been a good one with a "long bow". A couple other guys at work quiz me occasionally about traditional gear, and they say they'd like to try and take a doe with it , but wouldn't want to use it to take a buck.
Have these guys forgot about our founding fathers and the hard work that they put forth to prove the bow and arrow as an efficient weapon so they could enjoy this sport today? What's the deal? I don't look down on their weapon of choice, why do they feel the need to seperate themselves? Do we have to prove the longbow and recurve all over again?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Haven't we already fought this battle?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I don't let peoples ignorance bother me...just do my thing...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Smile and walk away!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I hear ya, on the flip side I've made kills in front of buddies and they always wanna take up the right way to do it...LOL...

Got 3 so far!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Yep I get that all the time infact I was at a trad shoot and a guy in the group was saying that trad equipemt was not ethical to hunt with.  Of course he couldn't hit the broadside of the barn even though he was gapping.  After a belly full of his soap box and following a 5 minute look for his his arrow again I agreed with him that it was very unethical for him to hunt with trad gear.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I've got a few nice heads on the wall  and the thing that use to PO me more than anything was to have some condescending road hunters say "Pretty nice deer----for a bow"

Then I just started considering the source and realized if you let stupid people irritate you, it will just drive you nutz..

Laugh and consider the source, and move on.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Yep I get that all the time infact I was at a trad shoot and a guy in the group was saying that trad equipemt was not ethical to hunt with.  Of course he couldn't hit the broadside of the barn even though he was gapping.  After a belly full of his soap box and following a 5 minute look for his his arrow again I agreed with him that it was very unethical for him to hunt with trad gear.
:biglaugh:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
The thrill of traditional is reserved for the chosen few. For it doesn't impose itself on those who have yet to experience its hidden treasures. Yet, the traditonal chest of good fortune will selflessly relinquish its secrets to those when ready and willing.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mac11700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
The thrill of traditional is reserved for the chosen few. For it doesn't impose itself on those who have yet to experience its hidden treasures. Yet, the traditonal chest of good fortune will selflessly relinquish its secrets to those when ready and willing.
So very true...   :clapper:

Mac

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Lots of forms of prejudice out there.   Simple ignorance and the feeble attempt of the weak minded to try and feel better than others is what causes it..   Let the ignorant wallow in their foolishness and go on enjoying the adventure.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I let a young 8 point walk Friday morning because I want him to grow up. Although with most of the gun hunters shooting every legal buck they see he probably won't get the chance.  There's a couple of guys at work who I can tell such stories to and who appreciates them. The rest are trophy hunters only. You tell them you shot a doe and they look down their noses at you. My advice is to walk away and leave them alone. They're not worth the aggravation.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
The "founding fathers" would have been all over that five point like stink on an ape.

Art Young, Will Compton, Saxton Pope c. 1918

Fred Bear

:biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
First, I shoot what comes out!  Buck, doe, or hog!  I'm doing it so I can have meat in my freezer!  if you pass on animals it is your decision, but I find that the meat tastes better than horn.  Antlers are an added prize.
Second, people who think a traditional bow isn't effective or ethical, obviously forget the bow has been used for centuries in war and for hunting.  Find new friends!
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
I understand stupid people, but cannot stand those who are proud of it by showing  off speaking out of ignorance
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »
In the cases that I've come across stupid comments have been the exception. Not the rule. The vast majority of compound hunters that I've shot with were impressed with the dedication it takes to shoot a traditional bow efficiently.  On the other hand I've heard way more "holier than thou" Traditional archers who make us all look like A-hole elitists.

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
I have shared our hunting ground with former compound shooters that said things like "If I could do that I would be using longbows to." MY answer to those was always"you won't know until you try, Let me show you how. You'll see it is not as hard as it looks" Then there is a couple that had fun ridiculing us, one of which has lost two bucks this year, hates to share the land with us, and has a problem being able to tell when legal shooting hours begin and end. Some of the fastest learners and most dedicated trad shooters I know were dedicated compound shooters just a few years ago. It seems that the good and responsible hunters that are nice people are the most open to learning, hunting ethically, and taking on a new challenge. Some are dedicated to doing things right, while the few are mostly interested in being the big man and getting the big racks anyway they can.  Trad shooters and those that are future trad shooters seem to always, in my experience, have that pleasant personable demeanor thing going for them.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
I get more excited missing a deer with my bow   than I would killing it with a gun.

I agree with fireball, some trad guys act like they invented archery and get to decide who is worthy of shooting trad.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
Lead by example, let them use what they want. When they see you having fun/sucess they will start seeing the benifits of shooting trad equipment . I have gotten dozens of people started in the last 22 years . Pass the torch with pride and respect everyone's choice to an extent ,then challenge thier opinion with  firm
respect.

Good Huntin'
Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
I here that all the I have a 17 nephew that is into to bowhunting but his dad isn't, he is all  about the technology, has to have the fastest meanest compound on the market! But I may have peaked his interest for traditional equipment! i have a line I always use on people when they say that using Trad equipment is unethical or not humane! I say what about those  deer that are killed on the road with our motorized vehicles on the highways how much pain did that animal feel when it was hit, plus most of those deer will be wasted instead of being used for food! i usually make my case!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
What Curt (Guru) said.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©