3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Haven't we already fought this battle?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Haven't we already fought this battle?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
There are those who just want to kill "smoke" something who use a crossgun or compound as the easiest way to accomplish that outside of smokepole seasons.  Then there are hunters.  I'm not saying there aren't compound and rifle shooters who are also true hunters, just that there are two basic groups out there; hunters and idiots.  IMHO of course.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
A friend of mine always tells me to get rid of the "Indian bow" and use a REAL bow. LMAO. They just don't understand. The challenge. The spirit of the chase. The thrill. I'm not an elitist by any means and have taken lots of deer with the other bow and other weapons. But now I'm mature and don't need to kill every deer that walks in front of me. Simple pleasures, simple way of life.
And why can a trad bow kill a doe, but not a buck???
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Honestly, who cares what they think?
David M. Conroy

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I don't walk through life worrying about how others “see” me...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
One die hard trad guy I know, started out by being frustrated with the ineffectiveness of his mechanical broadheads. I did not give him a bow, or shooting lessons or really much information. I gave him a sharpened 125 grain Grizzly broadhead mounted on an adapter.  Apparently, they kill deer when shot out of compounds too and leave a lasting impression.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Just one man's opinion:

Not all hunters understand how I hunt, or why I choose my weapon. They may not understand the weapon. Their perspective is simply different from mine, as are their conclusions. Calling these people "ignorant" or "idiots" is probably the worst I can do to help them understand.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Hmmm, do you REALLY think they "want" to understand?
David M. Conroy

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Hmmm, wouldn't we be better men for extending the hand...vs the fist?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Ignorance is never cured with hostility.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I've never believed my choice of hunting gear was better than anyone else's choice, just mine. But I also believe if I have to ansewer the question "WHY" They won't understand anyway. I smile and move on.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Kevin, yup!  Not disagreeing with you at all. Just food for thought.
I'm just a smile and move on guy myself.
David M. Conroy

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Dont sweat it, they are the ones who probably cant get a buck with the gear they use, unless the deer is paid for in advance and standing waiting for them to get settled in to the huge box stand and shoot.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I LMAO every time I hear the comment "I might use a traditional bow to shoot a doe some time,but I wouldnt want to shoot a buck with one"

I just look at em and say " well I might use a compound to shoot a doe ,but I wouldnt want to shoot a buck with one "

Then I invite them to come by the house so they can see some bucks that were shot with a recurve .
"Pick a spot"

RLP

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
They can't do it so they think you can't either!

Bisch

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Profound ignorance has a way of causing some to get a serious case of diarrhea of the mouth.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
Maybe I'm the outsider here. I've never really felt threatened or irritated or angry at those who don't have a clue. They just don't understand, but that doesn't produce any negative reaction on my end. I've always rather enjoyed doing things that others think are unlikely or difficult. That's what led me to bowhunting originally, and why I still take the "road less travelled". If there is someone out there who thinks my archery hunting gear is questionable, I understand that. They might feel the same way about my ultralight ice rods for big fish. I get it.

I freely admit that I don't understand what everyone else is doing...so perhaps I am an ignorant man. I much prefer the term "unaware". When I came seriously to the world of "traditional" bowhunting, I began to see things I was unaware of. I held plenty of misconceptions. The graciousness of many good men helped me find knowledge, progress and awareness. I'm still very glad for these men, and I use their example in my life...in many ways.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
I'm like Javi, I don't live my life worrying what others think of me. As my great grandmother always told us " Let others think what they may, keep doing whats right for you, never respond as you only show your ignorance to them, let it be" I think we would all be better off if we would just let it be!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by fireball31:
In the cases that I've come across stupid comments have been the exception. Not the rule. The vast majority of compound hunters that I've shot with were impressed with the dedication it takes to shoot a traditional bow efficiently.  On the other hand I've heard way more "holier than thou" Traditional archers who make us all look like A-hole elitists.
This has been my experience too.  I have yet to meet an archer with modern equipment denigrate recurves or longbows.  Most are interested and respectful of the time needed to be proficient with traditional gear.  I'm not saying they aren't out there, just that I haven't met them yet.  Pretty much all the negativity I hear and read is by traditional shooters toward those that choose other weapons.  The implication being that in general those not shooting a traditional bow are a bunch of ignorant slobs only interested in taking the easy way.  I imagine somewhere there is a board of atlatl hunters knocking recurve shooters...

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Part of the problem is considering it a battle to be fought. We're all on the same side, folks. It's easy to lose sight of the big picture.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
There are morons in every group for sure including but certainly not limited to the traditional scene.
 I was on a plane once next to a very "famous" trad bow hunter and after listening to him for 7 hours I was DONE with that guy.
Whatever, strange people all over the planet, in all forms.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©