3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Ghillie suits out there  (Read 200 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Ghillie suits out there
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Guys, I hunt a little 550 acre piece in Louisiana that has been heavily logged (lots of clear cuts).  I also often hunt alone during bow season as there is only one other bow hunter on the lease.

Even if I can find a tree to climb (there aren't many left) my wife would like me to start ground hunting in lieu of climbing when no one else is hunting.  I have been kicking around the idea of a ghillie suit and a small folding chair. I think that it would open up some great areas for me to hunt where there are no good trees to climb.

Problem, my research shows ghillies all the way from about $70 to $170?  Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.  I know I will have to do some trimming for string clearances etc.  Just need a good light weight ghillie suit for the money.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Ghillie suits out there
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Make one!  There are lots of threads online with how tos.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Guru did a how to on the ghillie suit and did a great job. you may try a search for it.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I have two. One is burlap. The other is synthetic. The burlap on is heavy, around 9lbs. The synthetic one is about 3lbs and much cooler in warm weather. The synthetic one tends to not collect begger lice and stuff as much as the burlap.

Just my two cents.
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Bush-n-a-bag for the deep stuff back east.  It's kind of dark, though.  Rancho Safari shaggy suit may be better for the open country in the west. I have both, and each has it's "requirements" you must deal with.  I'm dealing with the same things...wanting to stay out of trees, but have something just as effective-and more portable-than a well-constructed ground blind.  

I'd guess the Bush-n-a-bag would be the easiest to put in place in your part of the country.  Good luck!
Tom

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Bush rag archery jacket but can't decide what color.....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline TrueNorth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
I started with a ghillie suit from Rancho Safari (longcoat,gaiters,boonie) last year and am very happy with it. After calling and talking to the owner Jerry I knew that I was making the absolute right decision as he is a bowhunter himself, and very passionate about the outdoors.
On my first hunt out with it I had a squirrel decide that the top of my boot was a great place to sit, right then and there I was convinced I made the correct choice. As the season progressed so did my new education in deer hunting 101,being my first time after deer there were alot of mistakes made, but not once was it a result of my camoflauge letting me down.The number of does and fawns at single digit yardage was mind blowing, to be so close and undetected at eye level from such a wary animal is an undescribable feeling to me.Twice during last seasons hunt I also had big bucks in close as well, but inexperience on my part prevented me from getting a shot. If anyone is unsure about whether this might be right suit to go with, trust me it is! It rolls up nice with a sling if you decide to carry it in to your spot,no messing with pants or restricting jackets,lots of room even for a guy with broad shoulders.Add pieces of surrounding foilage like grass and branches and you ARE a part of the terrain. This is 1 piece of hunting equipment that I highly recommend.
"There is no point in having a dog and barking yourself" - Scotty Cameron

08 Black Widow PAX Becote
56# at 28"

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
TrueNorth, I don't know how much you know about Jerry the owner of Rancho Safari?  He isn't just a bowhunter, he is truly an archery legend and a trad archer too.  I had the pleasure to spend a weekend with him one time and my only regret is that I had no idea who I was really talking to?  If you ever get the chance, read all you can about the guy.  Truly one of the most interesting people you'd ever meet or read about.  I'm not saying that you didn't know anything about him, just letting everyone know that if you want to read about an archery "great" Jerry is the man!  Btw, awbowman, Rancho safari ghillies are among the best!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
I used one (RS) last week. As i walked back to vehicle across a large field, two deer saw me and trotted towards me.  Lead deer closed to within 20 yards.  I passed on her, but it was interesting.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
for what its worth I just got a bushrag ghillie, synthetic that weighs about three pounds and seems very nicely constructed.  Might want to check them out as well.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
make one! it takes a li time but its well worth it!
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Rancho Safari longcoat with face mask and boonie work for me. Very well made. They do run large, so listen to Jerry when ordering the longcoat. Money well spent. Don't think so, just price well made pop-up blinds and stands. Besides that your wife will be very happy about your decision to start hunting on the ground, which could lead to more hunting opportunities.Good luck and "Keep'Um Sharp".  :archer2:

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
I have the same RS set-up as Truenorth, I'm happy with it. The hard part is getting your bow up and drawing it if game is in close! That's been my chalenge, but that's just part of hunting, it ain't suppose to be easy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©