3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B-50 on a PLX  (Read 191 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
B-50 on a PLX
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Has anyone ever put dacron string on a BW PLX?  Just curious what your experience was.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: B-50 on a PLX
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
don't understand why you would ask such a question?  using dacron on a bow rated for hmpe ("ff") fiber is perfectly fine.  as to what to expect - heck, any bow that's fitted with a polyester ("dacron") bowstring will hafta deal with stretch and creep to the max.  why go through that, and for what?  stick with an hmpe bowstring and reap its benefits.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
pretty good thread about that over on the widow wall, it REALLY quieted the bow down to an almost inaudiable thump, speed of course dropped off some, that is to be expected, but from everyones input it worked out really well...my PLV is pretty quiet as it is with D97 FF Ib50 had a little more vibration at release, but that could probably be worked out
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Why not.......if that's what you want to try go for it! It won't hurt anything ....you be the judge if you like it or not!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
if the goal is reduced noise on release, build a low strand count ("skinny") bowstring (flemish or endless), 8 strands of yer fave hmpe fiber.  low stretch and creep, more than 10x yer bow's holding weight.  as quiet as, or quieter, than any dacron bowstring ... and you won't need a lotta string silencer material, i use 1/2 hush puppy instead of a full one per string side.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
It would be a last resort for me--not because of a speed difference, but because of a durability difference, and the increased stretch/creep.

If you are looking to quieten the bow, we've had great results with Dynaflight '97 with padded loops.

Chad

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Jeff, I have had 4 different PLX bows and I have never had any issue with noise using D-97. I've shot B-50 on several of them and while it may be a little more quiet for me it was not worth the loss in feel and performance.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Jeff,
     It's a personal choice. Your bow may be quieter or not with B-50.  Just because a bow is rated for FF, that doesn't mean you should use it.
I shoot mostly T/D widows, not longbows, but use B-50 on all. For me, it is quieter, and I personally like the feel.
Try it, and see if YOU like it or not; that's the only way you will really know.
Ken Thornhill

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by D.T.:
Jeff, I have had 4 different PLX bows and I have never had any issue with noise using D-97. I've shot B-50 on several of them and while it may be a little more quiet for me it was not worth the loss in feel and performance.
Are you shooting the widow strings or another string builder?  What silencers are you shooting?

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
my main point being, don't give up on hmpe fiber if noise is your main issue.  i've never met a stick that i couldn't get to shoot really quiet with hmpe over dacron.

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I roll my own 12 strands with one set of wooly whispers.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I've tried those 10 strand jobbies, padded to 16 in the loops. It is, overall, as quiet as dacron, very quiet, awesomely so... but, and this is a big, but, there is a different pitch in the sound at the shot. Not a twang or splang at all, but a twut of a higher frequency, slight, but it is a higher frequency with the FF-type strings.
 Good ol' B-50 has that Low, Low, Looooowwww thump, very pleasing to the ear.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
swampthing.......I agree!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Have had by far had better results quieting a bow down using eight strands or less. Widows are typically not touted as being quiet. Mine is.

***Use skinnies on all my bows***

This debate has a hint of subjectivity and the final best choice depends on the set-up, tuning and ultimately your own personal pick.

Pick your poison!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©